Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with hunting rifle

Default Need help with hunting rifle

Here's my situation: I've never been hunting before. I know, I know, I lived a sheltered life.
    I have a semi-decent rifle (a Remington 700 SPS Varmint 26" BBL 308win + Bell+Carlson stock) and is currently punching paper at 1 MOA or under with Nikon scope and military ammo (Lake City), depending on my mental state.

I reload all of my ammo (including my S&W500 as some of you may know) and I already have reloading tools for the 308win caliber, so I'll be reloading this caliber as well.

My Rem700 is recalled for safety issue. Remington has more than 1 million rifles to fix. Not sure when they will get to mine. And, I want to try out hunting with a guide this Fall.

Looking to buy another rifle with these restrictions:
    1. 308win caliber
    2. somewhere around 22" bbl
    3. 1 MOA
    4. not too heavy (6.5 lbs or less)
    5. good reliability
    6. game: deer
    7. location: Washington state (most likely eastern half of the state, where terrain is more open)

Where do I start?

So far, here's my short list:
    1. Winchester Model 70 Featherweight
    2. Savage Hog Hunter
    3. Ruger American

Buy the Savage, hands down. Sounds like you're just looking for a temporary replacement for your Rem 700, so why buy another comparatively expensive rifle? Besides, if your new Savage is as good as my old model 110, you'll like it better than the Rem anyway.

Buy a timney trigger and keep your current rifle... That's all the recall is fixing

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Buy a timney trigger and keep your current rifle... That's all the recall is fixing
    Yes, thanks for this option. I did consider this but all the dealers I know of are out of the Timney triggers. No ETA for when they will be in stock again.
    Looks like the Remington recall wiped out all the stock for Timney and Jewel stock in the market.

Personally it'd get a Tikka over any of the ones you mentioned. Lightweight and have yet to see one that won't shot MOA, especially if you hand load.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Personally it'd get a Tikka over any of the ones you mentioned. Lightweight and have yet to see one that won't shot MOA, especially if you hand load.
    Thanks, a friend of mine was trying to convince me about this rifle as well. I heard good things about accuracy.

My fear is that the is a pretty small Finnish company. What's their warranty coverage like?
    Would they be able to afford a shipping label for me to ship it to their USA repair center (if they have one) when I need to?
    Any experience with using their warrant coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    Yes, thanks for this option. I did consider this but all the dealers I know of are out of the Timney triggers. No ETA for when they will be in stock again.
    Looks like the Remington recall wiped out all the stock for Timney and Jewel stock in the market.
    I found out that Timney sells their trigger directly to consumer, so I just ordered one from their website.

I'd still like to have a backup rifle, though.

I agree with the Tikka. It's a great rifle.

Tikka. I was a savage fan until I got my Tikka t3

Yes, I will consider Tikka.

What about Thompson Center Venture? Lots of good review about the 5R rifling producing a tack driver.

My fear is that the is a pretty small Finnish company. What's their warranty coverage like?
    I don't think they're small any more.

I think Tikka is owned by Sako, which in turn has something to do with Beretta.

Edit: Internet says Sako is owned by Beretta.

Here's my situation: I've never been hunting before. I know, I know, I lived a sheltered life.
    I have a semi-decent rifle (a Remington 700 SPS Varmint 26" BBL 308win + Bell+Carlson stock) and is currently punching paper at 1 MOA or under with Nikon scope and military ammo (Lake City), depending on my mental state.

I reload all of my ammo (including my S&W500 as some of you may know) and I already have reloading tools for the 308win caliber, so I'll be reloading this caliber as well.

My Rem700 is recalled for safety issue. Remington has more than 1 million rifles to fix. Not sure when they will get to mine. And, I want to try out hunting with a guide this Fall.

Looking to buy another rifle with these restrictions:
    1. 308win caliber
    2. somewhere around 22" bbl
    3. 1 MOA
    4. not too heavy (6.5 lbs or less)
    5. good reliability
    6. game: deer
    7. location: Washington state (most likely eastern half of the state, where terrain is more open)

Where do I start?

So far, here's my short list:
    1. Winchester Model 70 Featherweight
    2. Savage Hog Hunter
    3. Ruger American
    I'd buy the Ruger American in a heartbeat for your use as a backup rifle, read the reviews, they are butt ugly and shoot great. I don't recall the weight of the Marlin XL-7 but it is getting great accuracy reviews on the cheap too.

Another option would be a used Whitworth Mark X, sort of a poor mans Model 70, although probably no as light as your looking for. They can be had for around $500 on Gun Broker.

Another vote for tikka.. buttery smooth action that will absolutely drive tacks before barrel heats up.

A friend sent his Remington back and they told him at least 8 months. I am a fan of the Winchester 70 but also consider the Tikka T3 an excellent rifle.

we love Tikka T3! light, accurate. Wouldn't be sorry for owning one.

I hope the Finn's don't see this thread; getting a Tikka may be like getting 22 ammo

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    I hope the Finn's don't see this thread; getting a Tikka may be like getting 22 ammo
    Huh?
    Elaborate, please?

I wanted to drop you a note of thanks. I hadn't seen the recall notice, I have the same rifle.

I've been wanting to upgrade the stock to the bell and Carlson and have been looking at them and I figgured I may as well order a timney trigger rather than worry about the wait time from Remington. I ordered a timney 510 last night and a Bell and Carlson stock from red hawk rifles (price is a little better than direct from timney, but not much).

That rifle is heavy (which is why I bought it) and would be too much for me for hunting in the hills. The Tikkas are great and I've always had good luck with the Savages suggested.

Again thanks for the heads up on the recall. I know the Timney triggers are all but sold out through the larger retailers and it will probably get worse once hunting season rolls around, so if someone wants one now is the time.

T

Quote Originally Posted by tod osier View Post
    I wanted to drop you a note of thanks. I hadn't seen the recall notice, I have the same rifle.

I've been wanting to upgrade the stock to the bell and Carlson and have been looking at them and I figgured I may as well order a timney trigger rather than worry about the wait time from Remington. I ordered a timney 510 last night and a Bell and Carlson stock from red hawk rifles (price is a little better than direct from timney, but not much).

That rifle is heavy (which is why I bought it) and would be too much for me for hunting in the hills. The Tikkas are great and I've always had good luck with the Savages suggested.

Again thanks for the heads up on the recall. I know the Timney triggers are all but sold out through the larger retailers and it will probably get worse once hunting season rolls around, so if someone wants one now is the time.

T
    No problem, Tod.
    Here's the official real notice and how to check if yours is affected ...
    http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...odelseven.aspx

Winchester, but I'd go with the Extreme Weather. Big fan of stainless steel. I've got one, and I love it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast