Thread: Hudson bay ?

Default Hudson bay ?

I have a Scot Hudson bay. I'd like to us it on a local pond that does not allow gas engines. I'll need an electric motor, what do you suggest I buy?

A cattle prod and a paddle might be the cheapest option.....

How big is the pond?
    When i think of pond I think small body of water that paddles would be sufficient in.

14-1500 acres and the wife can't paddle-

Quote Originally Posted by GOJOE View Post
    14-1500 acres and the wife can't paddle-
    ahhhh...important info. What about one of those minolta 55lbers? I've used one of those on a smaller bass boat. Not the fastest, but it held a charge.

How about oars? I have 8 footers for my HB. Many carry them as backups on HB's in case the motor quits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    How about oars? I have 8 footers for my HB. Many carry them as backups on HB's in case the motor quits.
    Not to high jack but are oars and paddles the same? Or are oars a little larger?

If the wife can't paddle then go with oars for sure and rig up some good oarlocks and an adjustable seat to get in the best position. A sigle paddler on a HB in the wind sounds like a BIG JOB. A good troller in the 55# thrust range should move it along...might be ok with less.
    Y.C. oars are big long paddles gripped with one hand each, r and l, anchored in oar locks, and pulled backwards...make sense?

The factory angled oar sockets are a pain on the 21 ft HB . They are set at a angle, sold boat but need some kind of mod to make them work right.

it is all about money if you can get a friend to build a rowing rack that would set in your conoe an bolt , clamp or strap it , would work better,
    then remove it when you put it in the big water an leave the rack home or just get as biggest electric that you can get you will need it
    SID

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    If the wife can't paddle then go with oars for sure and rig up some good oarlocks and an adjustable seat to get in the best position. A sigle paddler on a HB in the wind sounds like a BIG JOB. A good troller in the 55# thrust range should move it along...might be ok with less.
    Y.C. oars are big long paddles gripped with one hand each, r and l, anchored in oar locks, and pulled backwards...make sense?
    Yes. That's what I was thinking. As soon as I saw oar I thought that is what it was. You row your oars and paddle your paddle.

I row standing facing forward.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The size electric motor you want is the largest you can afford. Or if you want to show off with hands free driving, there are even some nice new models that will self steer to keep the heading that you tell it.

On the lower end, know that any electric motor will move it, just some real slow. Your canoe like mine (Albany) is a pig to paddle so if you don't do oars or even if you do you'll want a second battery to ensure you'll never paddle home.

Quote Originally Posted by GOJOE View Post
    I have a Scot Hudson bay. I'd like to us it on a local pond that does not allow gas engines. I'll need an electric motor, what do you suggest I buy?
    Find another pond........

Check these out:

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/

probably the most powerful electric outboards available.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    Check these out:

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/

probably the most powerful electric outboards available.
    Woohoo, Eklutna reservoir is going to have to put out buoys for a now wake zone. Never need'd 'm before....

Fast someone buy one and lets get a water skier going out there before they decide to limit electric motors to old trollers only. That's make a one of a kind video. I'm betting that canoe with that 40 would do it. ;-) Fun musing.

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post

And that's what I did, thank you