Thread: Florida Non-Resident Concealed Weapons Permit???

Default Florida Non-Resident Concealed Weapons Permit???

I applied for a non-resident concealed weapons permit from Viginia and Florida. Received the one from Virgina but Florida kicked my application back because I had my fingerprints done at one of those commercial businesses here in Anchorage. The letter says they must be done by a law enforcement agency. Was wondering if anyone else had applied for one and what did you do for fingerprints?

Quote Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
    I applied for a non-resident concealed weapons permit from Viginia and Florida. Received the one from Virgina but Florida kicked my application back because I had my fingerprints done at one of those commercial businesses here in Anchorage. The letter says they must be done by a law enforcement agency. Was wondering if anyone else had applied for one and what did you do for fingerprints?
    Yup, that's a rule in Florida, and has been since the inception of the "shall issue" carry permit back in the 80's. You'll have to go to a law enforcement agency. Also, I'm surprised they even have a non resident ccw; it used to be residents only.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Yup, that's a rule in Florida, and has been since the inception of the "shall issue" carry permit back in the 80's. You'll have to go to a law enforcement agency. Also, I'm surprised they even have a non resident ccw; it used to be residents only.
    They've had a non-resident permit for quite a few years. Got any idea which local law enforcement agency in Anchorage will do fingerprinting?

How many local law enforcement agencies are there in ANC?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    How many local law enforcement agencies are there in ANC?
    None that I know of that will do fingerprint cards. Maybe I'm talking to the wrong people but Anchorage PD and the State Troopers both said I should contact one of the private businesses that are doing fingerprints. That's what I did and that's what Florida rejected. That's why I asked the question.

None that I know of that will do fingerprint cards. Maybe I'm talking to the wrong people but Anchorage PD and the State Troopers both said I should contact one of the private businesses that are doing fingerprints. That's what I did and that's what Florida rejected. That's why I asked the question.
    Try a jail. Or take the letter from the state of Florida stating their requirements. If APD won't do inquire at some of the smaller departments (are there any others?). Also I believe a prison will work.

I'm sure there are a number of ways they could be convinced to do your fingerprints for you.... but then you might have a hard time qualifying for a CWP.

Why not get an AK permit? Doesn't FL and Ak have reciprocity?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Doesn't FL and Ak have reciprocity?
    Yes, by agreement: http://dps.alaska.gov/statewide/Perm...ciprocity.aspx

And obtaining an Alaska permit requires submitting fingerprints: http://dps.alaska.gov/statewide/Perm...ng/permit.aspx
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

They'll do prints at smaller Trooper posts like Glenallen or Talkeetna
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Try a jail...Also I believe a prison will work.
    That's where I did mine in '95, at the Hillsborough County Jail Annex in downtown Tampa. In fact, now that I'm thinking ofi t, the Hillsborough Country Sheriff's Office, at the time, wouldn't even do them. Since you're limited to two agencies in ANC, you're kind of hosed.

BTW? Why does AK even have a CCW permit? Can't you just open carry or carry concealed without any permit at all?

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    That's where I did mine in '95, at the Hillsborough County Jail Annex in downtown Tampa. In fact, now that I'm thinking ofi t, the Hillsborough Country Sheriff's Office, at the time, wouldn't even do them. Since you're limited to two agencies in ANC, you're kind of hosed.

BTW? Why does AK even have a CCW permit? Can't you just open carry or carry concealed without any permit at all?
    Part of it is just because of the reciprocity issue. Other states, such as Florida I believe, will accept an Alaska CCW permit if you have one, but won't just let you carry there if you don't have one. I believe there are other "benefits" as well, or at least there were early on such as an expedited review process when purchasing some new firearms since you already had the background check done to get the permit (don't remember the details). Similar in concept to the express line at the TSA checkpoint in the airports these days.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Part of it is just because of the reciprocity issue. Other states, such as Florida I believe, will accept an Alaska CCW permit if you have one, but won't just let you carry there if you don't have one. I believe there are other "benefits" as well, or at least there were early on such as an expedited review process when purchasing some new firearms since you already had the background check done to get the permit (don't remember the details). Similar in concept to the express line at the TSA checkpoint in the airports these days.
    If you go for the "4473 Exempt" version, there is no 4473 form or background check required when purchasing a new firearm. You essentially fill out the 4473 when you apply and have the background check done then. If you pass, you have an endorsement on your CCW that tells the store your are exempt from the background check. That alone would be worth the trouble almost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    If you go for the "4473 Exempt" version, there is no 4473 form or background check required when purchasing a new firearm. You essentially fill out the 4473 when you apply and have the background check done then. If you pass, you have an endorsement on your CCW that tells the store your are exempt from the background check. That alone would be worth the trouble almost.
    You still fill out the 4473 but there is no call to NICS, your permit info is entered in box 23 of the 4473 instead of a new background check.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Andy kind of already beat me to it, but, when I was selling guns at an FFL in FL (pre Brady law) the FL CCW permit only exempted you from the FDLE phone call (that's what we called a NICS check back then-we called Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement) and the 3 day waiting period on handguns. Nobody buys a gun (from an FFL) without filling at a 4473.

Interesting side note: at that tiem, the 3 day wait also applied to sworn law enforcement officers who did not have a CCW permit. (At that time, they were allowed to carry concealed off duty as long as they had their badge, so some didn't bother getting CCW permits.) Many times I had to explain this to very angry officers, usually in uniform, who complained saying they were already armed and therefore shouldn't have to honor the 3 day wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    You still fill out the 4473 but there is no call to NICS, your permit info is entered in box 23 of the 4473 instead of a new background check.
    Thank you for correcting me.