Thread: Bear tanning question

Default Bear tanning question

I'm confident that I will get flamed for this question, bit maybe you guys will hear me out and offer some suggestions also.

I recently made a career change which has put a financial strain on me for a short time. With that said, I have a bait station that was set prior to me feeling the strain, that is being hit by a very healthy bear that I want to take.

Ultimately the question is if anyone knows of a taxidermist that takes work in without a 50-60% deposit because I won't be able to cover that for a few weeks yet. After thst point it'll be no real issue but the brown bear season closes may 31st here in 15 over bait

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Why don't you learn to flesh and salt it proper and then store it until you can afford the deposit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's kind of the realization that I've come to. I'm not sure if anybody I know is knowledgeable in the ways of fleshing and ear turning and lip splitting though

Shoot it, skin it and freeze it. Take it to the taxidermist when you have $$
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

If you were in Anchorage I'd help you with the fleshing. You can go to youtube and see videos of doing it. It is not hard, just takes time and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Shoot it, skin it and freeze it. Take it to the taxidermist when you have $$
    Roll it up and freeze it!

Skin it, flesh off what you can, salt it, let it drip, freeze. Roll it up and store it in the freezer until you can get it tanned.

I appreciate the input. I was concerned that I'd get flamed for potentially taking an animal without the funds to follow through with the rugging.

I had thought about freezing it but I've heard horror stories about freezer burn ruining a hide quickly or the salt preventing the hide from freezing and it spoiling.

I think I have a game plan now, since I just found out that my buddy is friends with a guy who used to do taxidermy and still has a shop and tons of salt. I'll take it there and flesh it out and just salt it good a few times then store it.

Bill, that's very generous of you, I appreciate that

Didn't realize you were in Kenai (taptalk doesn't show locations!), I'd be happy to help you out too, one caveat ahead of time, I have NOT skinned a bear. I have skinned marmots, ermine and a coyote, FYI.