Thread: Say goodbye to the venerable K-15 Kwik

Unhappy Say goodbye to the venerable K-15 Kwik

From the PP board:

get ready for the "old style" kwikfish to be replaced with "new improved" models. Normark is having troubles with the molds in China and have discontinued the k9 adn k15 and they are replcing it with a newer and better k9x and k15x for 2008. These models will be available in October/November this year. If you have any old favorites that catch fish you may want to stock up. The trout size k4 will follow after these 2 new ones are up and running,
    This is too reminiscent of what happened to the Storm Wiggle Warts.

Stock up while you still can boys!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Doc,
    Please delete this until I after I get to Trustworthy. Looks like I will have no problem with tax ride-offs this year. I hate those X's!!!!!!!!!

BTW, good numbers yesterday!

I've got more than I'll ever use already
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If it is true Doc, my purchase of 11 "Premo's" is looking like a pretty good investment!

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Doc... I hate those X's!!!!!

You mean these worthless things...

Oh ye of little faith!

Just get 'em wet... the fish will come!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Yep, those wothless things, the only fish I have caught with them have been without bait. But then again, they haven't seen too much water lately!

Default Holy!

Them Kwik's is what I caught my Pikagator on! I need to replace the one I used for that pike as I lent it to my son & he bangged it up, on the shore hauling in pikes!

Default what about flatfish???

omg - that means i'll eventually have to use k-14's for the kasilof. I hate using k-14's... they're next to impossible to keep running straight with a sardine wrap; and what about early season on the kenai? I'll get by using spin & glows and cheaters, but k-16's are a little big for the early season, so i probably won't use kwikfish when the water is low anymore. i wonder how flatfish compare??? i've don't have a lot of experience with them, but from what i know, they're virtually the same thing right? anyone know?
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Doc, I was thinking, if they are doing away with the original in favor of the X-series, do they make a 15x? If they do I haven't seen it. I would be willing to bet that if they stop making it Brad's will pick up the molds. I just can't see the 15's going away.

Default Still gonna make the K16?

I like the K-16's better anyway.

They aren't gonna quit making those are they??

I read this thread yesterday, immediately called my Mrs and asked her to get me some on her way home from work...before they're gone (I'm on the slope at the moment)

She went to Sportsmans and got me a dozen ($5.17 ea)
    I told her Chrome and any other color (but mainly chartreuse or green).
    She said they had about 30 or so chrome K-15's stocked when she got mine.

I don't fish them religiously so I figure a dozen on top of the 10 or so I already have should pretty much last me 10 years, give or take.

Thanks Doc for the heads-up, AND for the pic of your sardine wrap...very clean!!

Default Salmonrookie

Montana flyfisherman but love AK and a frequent early summer visitor. Will be up June 12-June 20. in Kenai Peninsula

I want to try fishing from river bank and was wondering if Kwikfish K-15 can be used. All magazines seem to center on trolling with Kwiks. If bank use ok, then how do I rig and how do I fish from bank?

Thoroughly enjoy postings from everyone. See I have a lot to learn

Thanks

I use them exclusively at Lake Creek as most other folks do. Blue and chrome seem to be doing the best so far. I need to get to the store!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default 2007 plug of the year

Doc ... i should have picked up one more from Ifish this years K-15 Kwikfish has provided lot's of fun for my boat on the Kasilof. <*)))))))><X

Quote Originally Posted by fishook View Post
    Doc ... i should have picked up one more from Ifish this years K-15 Kwikfish has provided lot's of fun for my boat on the Kasilof. <*)))))))><X

Post some pics and share the success with the folks down south. Ian would be tickled pink! With the lousy spring fishery we had, very few spring kings succumbed to the "Premo" Kwik.
    The KeenEye MD

Guess I jumped the gun on my original post... sorry. I had every faith the source was very reliable, but I guess I was wrong.

My apologies to all.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Iím not sure where the information came from on the new Kwikfish molds, but here is the scoop:

There are two new Kwikfish in the works, a K-15X and K-9X. Both models are patterned after successful models K-13X and K-11X. These are stable, deeper running models that can withstand faster, more turbulent water than their predecessors, and will need no or little tuning right out of the package. The K-15X is designed to run up to 16-18 feet on a flat line and the K-9X up to 10-12 feet on a flat line.

These new lures do NOT automatically replace the old K-9 and K-15 Kwikfish. The K-15 Kwikfish is the best selling size, especially on the West Coast, and our company is not going to risk upsetting an item that is a leader in the market. We will sell both models and let the fishermen (fisherpersons) weigh-in on the subject. As with the K-13X and K-11X, we feel we have winners in the two new models for next season. These should be available on the street in the late fall of 2007.

Thank you,

Roger Neufeldt

Regional Sales Manager, Normark Corp. (former Luhr Jensen employee of nearly 28 years)
    The KeenEye MD

Well I did buy 25 more at my last stop at Trusty, not big deal, they will get used. An I am sure I will buy more this summer, either way they won't get any cheaper in the coming years!

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Well I did buy 25 more at my last stop at Trusty, not big deal, they will get used. An I am sure I will buy more this summer, either way they won't get any cheaper in the coming years!
    Is that why Sportsman's warehouse had empty hooks!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Sportsmans

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Is that why Sportsman's warehouse had empty hooks!
    Yea, I bought a couple dozen too.