Thread: ruger gunsite scout rifle in 308

Default ruger gunsite scout rifle in 308

My nephew just graduated from high school and his parents got him a ruger gunsite scout rifle in 308. I never heard of them and they have a short barrel. What do you folks think about this firearm.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Personally, I don't like the short barrels, and I think they are too heavy.

However, from what I've been able to determine they are well received, and popular. They look rugged and solid. 308 is an adequate and versatile cartridge.

http://ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I saw one the other day that was all 'tricked out' for shooting three gun. It was nice and I bet it is fun to shoot.

I've done a lot of shooting and hunting with "Scout Rifles" since before Cooper and Steyr put out the first commercially available one... I think they're simply great and the Ruger is the next chapter in that book.

The Ruger Scout is pretty well made and the two I've shot were pretty decent all the way around. It has a couple features I'm not wild about, but both are easily corrected- not keen on the 10rd mag or the flash hider but it's easy to fix that. I really like the iron sights.

You should get your nephew a Leupold EER "Scout Scope" and help him learn to shoot with both eyes open- it's not very intuitive, but once you master it your FOV is huge. Try some 250-300 yard shooting too- 2.5x is no handicap there either.

There are quite a few resources out there about the GSR in particular and Scouts in general- your nephew should be delighted.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I donít like the short barreled 308, it would be great in 338 or 358 but itís too short for 308. Itís too heavy and with the laminate stock, the flash hider is two pointless inches that could better be barrel length . . . there are mags (4 or 5 round?) that are almost flush fitting so no complaint there from me. I look at it through hunterís eyes, the tacticool stuff does nothing for me. The rifle is a very good rifle but I think they missed the mark, itís not tacticool enough for the AR guys and too tacticool for the hunters . . . I think they flubbed a bit there. Love the scout scope, itís so much faster and instinctive for me. Make it in a lighter composite stock in 338/358 caliber with a plain muzzle crown and youíd have a heck of a brush hunting rifle!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I donít like the short barreled 308, it would be great in 338 or 358 but itís too short for 308. Itís too heavy and with the laminate stock, the flash hider is two pointless inches that could better be barrel length . . . there are mags (4 or 5 round?) that are almost flush fitting so no complaint there from me. I look at it through hunterís eyes, the tacticool stuff does nothing for me. The rifle is a very good rifle but I think they missed the mark, itís not tacticool enough for the AR guys and too tacticool for the hunters . . . I think they flubbed a bit there. Love the scout scope, itís so much faster and instinctive for me. Make it in a lighter composite stock in 338/358 caliber with a plain muzzle crown and youíd have a heck of a brush hunting rifle!
    Totally agree- I noticed they have an 18" barrel version now that should be better. An acquaintance put a McMillian stock on his and spun off the flash hider- much nicer rifle after that! After messing with the polymer 5rd mags I don't understand why they don't ship with a couple of them instead of that giant metal 10 rounder.

I'd love one in .338FED. I even contemplated boring out my Steyr but there's not nearly enough meat in the barrel for that....but the Ruger has plenty to punch it out.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

That's a good way to put it, that they "Missed the Mark".

I'm with you on the barrel length and weight. However the case could be made that a Scout Rifle probably should be a 308 so could double as a Military/Tactical rifle.

However the barrel should be at least, 20" and sans the flash hider.

The Stock should be lighter.

I don't see the magazine size as much of an issue.

I could probably get used to the Scout Scope, because of the FOV, Hodge mentioned, but there would be no need to, and I'd probably prefer a QD scope mounted in the normal way.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That's a good way to put it, that they "Missed the Mark".

I'm with you on the barrel length and weight. However the case could be made that a Scout Rifle probably should be a 308 so could double as a Military/Tactical rifle.

However the barrel should be at least, 20" and sans the flash hider.

The Stock should be lighter.

I don't see the magazine size as much of an issue.

I could probably get used to the Scout Scope, because of the FOV, Hodge mentioned, but there would be no need to, and I'd probably prefer a QD scope mounted in the normal way.

Smitty of the North
    Dave shoots agents us with one sometimes.

308 and 20" would be okay but going shorter (the concept of the gun) the vlosity loss should be compensated with caliber/bullet waight. To me the doubling as a this and that stuff is the problem, put some of this and a little of that and soon both camps of buyers loose interest. They missed the mark by walking in both worlds.

If you want tactical you want adjustable stock and railes all over it along with that flash hider and 10 round M14 magazine. And if you want to hunt you want more like I said before. Ether way you want the thing on a bit of a diet.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Dave shoots agents us with one sometimes.

308 and 20" would be okay but going shorter (the concept of the gun) the vlosity loss should be compensated with caliber/bullet waight. To me the doubling as a this and that stuff is the problem, put some of this and a little of that and soon both camps of buyers loose interest. They missed the mark by walking in both worlds.

If you want tactical you want adjustable stock and railes all over it along with that flash hider and 10 round M14 magazine. And if you want to hunt you want more like I said before. Ether way you want the thing on a bit of a diet.
    It does have adjustable stock LOP, and a Picitinny Rail, neither of which detracts from it's use for hunting.

There would be substantial velocity loss with any cartridge, unless it's something like 30-30 or 35 Rem. class.

I understand your point of "Either, Or" but if it's a hunting rifle, and ONLY a "Scout Rifle", because it has, or can have, a Scout Scope mounting, then why not just have a lightweight rifle, chambered for whatever cartridge you like? Scout Scope if you like?

The concept of a Scout Rifle has perhaps changed, from what it was from the beginning. Now, what it means is all over the map, depending on who defines it. I honestly don't know for sure, what it was originally intended to be, but I think I can tell, from looking at the Original Scout Rifle.

From the beginning, it did include some Tactical Options, and on purpose.

My Kingdom for a Scout Rifle would be one that is chambered for a military cartridge such as 308, (For ammunition availability) that is rugged, and would serve to a limited degree on a battlefield, AND can be used for hunting, and survival also. Not the other way around. Just another hunting rifle.

It would have a longer barrel than this Ruger has, A lighter stock, No flash hider, Extra Magazine in the Butt stock, and a top cover over the forend, for protection from the barrel heat.

If you can imagine a situation where you empty a couple of 10 round magazines rather quickly, you can imagine how HOT the barrel will get.

Take a look at the Original Steyr Scout Rifle, and see the features it has. This is where I get my idea of the original concept of a Scout Rifle.

We had another shooter, besides Dave that uses the Ruger Scout too. He hasn't shot with us for awhile now.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Jumping into the "way back" machine- Cooper held a series of design congresses with shooters from all sorts of backgrounds to arrive at the general Scout Rifle specs. He then took those specs and approached several gun makers and failed to get much interest. A couple of industry guys (Eric Ching and Clifton among others) and a few custom gunsmiths made various iterations of the Scout that "more or less" filled the specs for a few years. If I recall- Cooper had a friend from IPSC that garnered a position at Steyr and he convinced them to work with Cooper for the first "factory" Scout and that effort took several years.

The Ruger does meet the original specs (it is at the high end of acceptable weight with a scope however). At one point I had a Ruger Mark I Ultralight with an IER scope with a Clifton stock and integral bipod. I gotta think it was both lighter than the current GSR version and had a longer barrel too. Don't know what happened to the Clifton stock but it was pretty much ahead of its time. I really wish you could still get one to drop a GSR into as it was a great deal lighter than the laminated beast currently offered and the integral bipod was pretty handy.

itís not tacticool enough for the AR guys and too tacticool for the hunters . . .
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Get rid of the flash hider, give me a plastic 5 round magazine and a plastic stock and I would buy one tomorrow!

As for the OP, I would be extactic to recieve one as a gift!

whats with the weight issue of firearms these days? everyone seems to be lightning up everything. I once packed around an m1 grarand and didn't complain. I'd still have it today along with many firearms I've owned if it weren't for my separation issues with the ex.
    when I joined the service in 1987, I was trained to master whichever firearm was at my disposal. and I was taught to use it as best it can punch rounds down the field. or is that something the general population can't comprehend? sorry for blurting out but, weight isn't an issue with me. but if a barrel washes out or has washed out then id have it changed.

Quote Originally Posted by 204tcak View Post
    whats with the weight issue of firearms these days? everyone seems to be lightning up everything. I once packed around an m1 grarand and didn't complain. I'd still have it today along with many firearms I've owned if it weren't for my separation issues with the ex.
    when I joined the service in 1987, I was trained to master whichever firearm was at my disposal. and I was taught to use it as best it can punch rounds down the field. or is that something the general population can't comprehend? sorry for blurting out but, weight isn't an issue with me. but if a barrel washes out or has washed out then id have it changed.
    Iím no shrinking violet about weight ether and also humped around an M1 Garand but when a rifle is notably heaver in hand than larger rifles even I realize there is a bunch of pointless extra weight there.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Iím no shrinking violet about weight ether and also humped around an M1 Garand but when a rifle is notably heaver in hand than larger rifles even I realize there is a bunch of pointless extra weight there.
    I agree. This particular rifle is heavier than it needs to be, and THAT is with a barrel that is much too short for comfort.

Give it a longer barrel, and it only adds to the weight.

My favorite hunting rifle weighs 10 lbs. complete with scope, mounts, sling, and 3 in the magazine. However, I don't go Scouting with it. I recognize that "scouting" can mean different things to different people. If you do all your scouting from a wheeler, you don't need a Scout Rifle, and if you do, weight is not a concern.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by 204tcak View Post
    I suspect everyone has their own issues with it, but why carry more weight than you have to? If you can carry 3 more pounds of food on a sheep hunt why wouldn't you? There's many types of guns because there's many uses...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I suspect everyone has their own issues with it, but why carry more weight than you have to? If you can carry 3 more pounds of food on a sheep hunt why wouldn't you? There's many types of guns because there's many uses...
    Can't argue with that.

Weight is a bigger issue in some situations, than in others. (Sheep Hunt, good example)

At least, save the weight on something that doesn't matter as much as barrel length. JMO

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I can't speak much to saving weight at the moment, I lug a 10lb .375 h&h all over the mountains, every time I do I start thinking about a Ruger compact laminate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Ruger bolt actions, but prefer the discontinued ultralight .308 to the scout rifle. As mentioned, 20" is a prudent minimum barrel length for the .308.

Not exactly my cup of tea, but to each their own.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.