Thread: Where to buy marine plywood in Anchorage

Default Where to buy marine plywood in Anchorage

So..years ago...a decade or more, I used buy "Marine grade plywood" in 3/8" sheets and half sheets at Home Depot. It was different from "pressure treated" in that the glue used in the manufacturing process was more water poof and stronger than that used in the PT stuff. I used to use it for transom repairs, building live wells, etc etc. (I know some guys in FL who have built 20' jon boats with it.)

I can't find it in Anchorage. The guys at Home Depot and Lowe's have never heard of it. Did they stop making it? Was this stuff ever available up here? Does anyone know where I can buy some locally?

I am going to need some too. Maybe spenard builders supply

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I am going to need some too. Maybe spenard builders supply

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    I just called them two minutes ago. Can't get through to anyone who knows anything about it. I'll probably drive over there on Monday. West marine website has nothing for plywood (no surprise there).

Te Home Depot website has a sku for it, but it says it is not available in local stores and sold in store only. Guess that means they don't ship it to AK. No entry at all for marine plywood at the Lowe's website. I've been into both stores and nada.

SBS has marine fir. You guys might also give Hardwood Specialties a call 563-1312...here is their web address: http://www.hsiak.com/Lumber/Plywood.php It is special order if you can wait a couple weeks. I often use AB or AC exterior which is similar but may have some voids. I always fill and epoxy seal any end grain voids before glassing. It is much less costly and I feel, gets me to pretty much to the same finish line.

[QUOTE=FL2AK-Old Town;1392855]I just called them two minutes ago. Can't get through to anyone who knows anything about it. I'll probably drive over there on Monday.

I tried to buy a couple sheets from SBS...they required payment before they would pull the order and they wouldn't let me hand pick it. They brought out ratty, warped material which I rejected. Then I had to get back in the que and wait another 20 minutes to get refunded. All in all, I spent most of an hour there and went home empty handed. This may have been an isolated incident and/or they may have since changed how they fill orders.

I bought three sheets over the winter from SBS out here in Wasilla. It was no problem, they would have let me pick the sheets but they all looked alike to me.

I just got back from SBS on Minnesota (excuse me, Walter Hickel Parkway whatever) and Tudor. They have it 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 inch thickness, bu they only sell it in the full sheet. (I only needed a half sheet.) I didn't check the prices of all the thicknesses, but my 3/8 Marine AB plywood cost $62.99; it was the most expensive piece of plywood I have ever bought in my life. They pulled an entire stack of it with a forklift, and they let me hand pick which piece I wanted. As Mauler, stated, they all looked the same to me, and, as the top piece was a very nice piece (sanded smooth, no knots in it anywhere on the exterior sides) I just took the top one.

I'll be surprised if I use more than half of this sheet. If I have a enough left over, I might build myself a dry storage compartment, or stash it in my garage or something. It's too expensive to throw away lol.

PS: I also found this discussion as part of an outside google search (i.e. I didn't find it when searching the AOD site) on this same topic. There is some good ancillary info in there as well.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d-in-Anchorage

Wow, $63 for a sheet of Marine fur ply is outrageous! Guess prices have really gone up, as I recall when I last got marine ply from SBS it was ~$40/sheet for 1/2", but it's been nearly 10 years.

Well, at least they don't carry BS-1088 Lloyds certified okume, it's running over $100/sht for 9mm at Edensaw.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Regular 1/2" cdx is pushing $25 again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Wow, $63 for a sheet of Marine fur ply is outrageous! Guess prices have really gone up, as I recall when I last got marine ply from SBS it was ~$40/sheet for 1/2", but it's been nearly 10 years.

Well, at least they don't carry BS-1088 Lloyds certified okume, it's running over $100/sht for 9mm at Edensaw.
    Yeah, that sounds about right; it's been at least that long since I bought marine ply, and it was about that price. I spoke with a friend of mine who is a shop teacher at a middle school in ASD about what I felt was an insanely high price, and he commented that prices on all wood building materials started to climb about ten years ago and haven't looked back. He said that, since the Chinese have been pulling their people out of poverty and building more of every kind of building, the global demand for materials has skyrocketed, with an accompanying skyrocketing of pricing, pretty much across the board on building materials.

True that, FL2AK-Old Town. In addition, every time there is a major weather event anywhere...floods, tornados, hurricanes, etc...and there seems to be no lack of those lately, the demand spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    True that, FL2AK-Old Town. In addition, every time there is a major weather event anywhere...floods, tornados, hurricanes, etc...and there seems to be no lack of those lately, the demand spikes.
    I forgot, but my shop teacher friend mentioned that as well. Having grown up in hurricane country, I know that scenario ALL too well. (What I never understood though was why people always return everything for a full refund after the storm passes. Do they not realize that another storm is just a few days behind the one that just passed? They're going to need this stuff again next week!)

Specialty Hardwoods in Fairbanks is only outfit stocking marine grade Oakume in state, that I know of.