Thread: Synthetic winch cable

Default Synthetic winch cable

Bought some 3/16" orange 50' synthetic winch line at aih. I think the cable on my old stock honda foreman winch was maybe skinnier 5/32? It fita through the rollers but trying to get the nylon through the spindle on the winch so i can tighten the set screw. it almost starts but doesn't go through. Attempts to make it skinnier with flame result in opposite effect. Ideas to make this work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rollers ? With a syn. rope they make a different fair-lead http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W...x=out&ppcfon=1
    Owner of Bear Mountain Meats Game Processing .
    907-745-4756

Remove enough of the fibers up to about three-four inches or so to make the rope small enough. Obviously your set screw is not strong enough to hold your rope in. The winch relies on friction between the drum and rope to keep from losing it. Synthetic needs more wraps around the drum than wire. My point being that you don't need 2500 hundred pounds of strength right at the set screw.

Keep enough wraps around the drum--like eight or ten, you can look that up.

Start with a good CLEAN SQUARE cut on the end. Now grab a roll of electrical tape and come down the line with a tight spiral wrap. Keep going past the end of the rope so you have an inch or two of the tape wrap with no line inside of it. That makes for a nice tapered point to help you "thread the needle". Now as you go to do so, a small squirt of wd-40 will aid in helping to pull it through. They are tough and that stuff doesnt melt and lay down nice like nylon does. Use a good shape razor knife and get a clean cut. And a warm roll of electrical tape so it will stretch well for a nice smooth clean wrap. It works :-)

I will second the need for a different fair-lead. You dont want rollers, it will pinch the rope. You really dont want rollers that have been used with wire because of the burrs.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Thanks for the perspective guys. Nice to learn these lessons the easy way.

If you're cutting this stuff clean and square with a razor knife I want whatever blades you're using. I like the electrical tape needle approach. It had a good tight wrap on it but I couldn't make it go initially. Should have added in front as you describe. I've cut it down once pretty sure it was a new blade, and it was not one or two or three cuts. But a bunch. Fibers in this stuff clearly have a bunch of tension in them. It is an impressive weave of molecules for sure.

Which fair lead is the best design for the dollar? My simple mind overlooked some of the metal/synthetic differences involved. Rollers are older a bit rusty and pitted, so I'll get a new fairlead, just wondering which one is worth ordering. Maybe makes a difference in how it wraps? seems like the drum is fine though, maybe emery cloth it a bit. And 10 wraps or whatever. You guys just mark the line with a bit of tape or something? Any other mods you guys like with your rope? I'm all ears. Is a 5' abrasion guard worth it to have. Or will it just wear out if I'm not really using it. Read about it in this article. http://www.okoffroad.com/editorial-rope.htm

Which brings me to the winch its on a 95 foreman and been on since the beginning I'm pretty sure. I bought from elderly orig owners. Guy at ak cycle didn't try too hard to help me get info on the model of winch. Can't read a thing off the winch motors plate. Might try asking at Hartley in wasilla. Just curious if after the whole overhaul I should put a whole new winch at some point. But if this one is typical honda tough i'll go with it. It freewheels easily, switch works fine etc. and I assume it will pull a load there was only about 10' of cable old and frayed when I got it. Danger of it getting wet and not working when I'm out somewhere and need it to yank on a moose? I know about mechanical advantage and how to use it and I'm not trying to get stuck like some folks are but adventure happens and I want reliable.

Photo. And fyi The line I got is orange. It seemed like the best local deal, you guys finding it cheaper to order stuff for these mods online?

(Support local businesses... Blah blah)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92118_0010.htm

This is the style of fairlead you need. I have seen them as cheap as $15 up to whatever you want to spend. There nothing speacial except smooth.

A new winch that comes with the fairlead and synthetic line isnt that much. You could use the rope you purchased for synthetic straps, as I do. Yours is looking a little ruff

I changed one this weekend on a polaris/Warn winch. The winch drum has a hole through it to thread the cable. A steel cable had a little round jammer washer to fix it in the drum hole. The synthetic line was threaded through and had a simple knot tied on the end to keep it from pulling through. That from the factory.

BTW, a Polaris winch kit that includes a synthetic line on the winch still comes with the old 4 roller cable guide they've always come with. I have a couple like that and they work fine. Burrs on an older roller are easy to file smooth.

Agreed rollers will do the trick if new or at least not all burred up. I do like the hawse fairlead better for synthetic. ..on that note I have a new one sitting in my garage I would donate to you if your still looking.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Generous offer, pm sent cwoods. I think the rollers I have could work but I like the thought of the other style. Seems smoother and less pinching.

Ak bliss are you turning the synthetic poly into a ratchet / compression type strap? Curious how.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. Generous offer, pm sent cwoods. I think the rollers I have could work but I like the thought of the other style. Seems smoother and less pinching.

Ak bliss are you turning the synthetic poly into a ratchet / compression type strap? Curious how.

I just cut my rope to the lengths I want and weave the ends back through the rope to give me eyes. You can tie it to if ya want. I like the synthetic since it is so much lighter and takes up less room. I do still carry a couple straps for going around trees and stuff, more abrasion proof. Google the subject and there is a lot on the 4x4 forums on how to braid your line back through itself. You can even get the stainless steel eyes if you prefer.

Motoalliance.com has some good kits, you might check them out. I used and love the synthetic line they have.

Amsteel blue is the best I have seen!

one thing i didnt like about the new synthetic line on my winch was when it was wet n muddy then frozen. i could hardly get it off the drum cause it stuck to itself .other than that i seems to be great stuff.