Thread: Surf fishing and things that make you go "Hmmmm"

Default Surf fishing and things that make you go "Hmmmm"

Found this while researchig bach rentals in New Zealand.
    http://www.seahorse.net.nz/

Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

A friend of mine has always talked about getting a remote controlled boat to get his line out further.
    Add some kind of quick release to get your weighted line off of the boat and it theory it would work.
    I could see some use for this seahorse device if we could legally longline off the beach. It is surely way too expensive for use in general surfcasting.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Cool idea.

I had to laugh when I saw the zillion different places where you can buy that unit:

http://www.seahorse.net.nz/where_to_buy

I was in Oklahoma about 15 years ago and there were people fishing below the big dam (I think it was called the Keystone dam) the fish were out past where they could cast so they would take remote control boats that had a flat back on them and set their weights on the back drive them out to the middle of the river up next to the dam and just give it a tug to drop the gear off the back of the boat and let it sink. I was always impressed with that idea. If you wanted to use a quick disconnect just use a down rigger release

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    A friend of mine has always talked about getting a remote controlled boat to get his line out further.
    Add some kind of quick release to get your weighted line off of the boat and it theory it would work.
    I could see some use for this seahorse device if we could legally longline off the beach. It is surely way too expensive for use in general surfcasting.
    Down rigger clip?

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    Down rigger clip?
    I'm sure a person could make something like that work.
    I have a regular 13' surfcast rod and a 12' Alvey surfcast rod and reel . They both work well enough I don't think I will ever bother with the remote control boat idea.
    But like I said my friend has brought the idea up a few times over the years.

just get or make one of these...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PX74gr9RM

That is impressive. I would have a hard time just not playing with it all day.

Best system we've ever found for days without too much surf is to bring along a pontoon boat. Row out with a couple of halibut rods, drop the lines where you want, set the clicks and leave the reels disengaged, then row back to shore. Pull the pontoon up on the beach, use if for a rod rack and sit in the seat for max comfort. Only limit to the length of your "casts" is reel capacity. I have 500 yards each on the two rods we use, so 300 yards is a no brainer. And that puts us in "sure thing" halibut depths in lots of places. Durned slick.

Personally on the Peninsula beaches as far as one can cast a surfcast rod is more than plenty.
    I have caught Halibut and other fish off the beach several times with nothing but a Salmon rod.
    A little practice on my Pendulum cast with my surfcast rods and I can cast plenty far enough to catch some fish.
    The gadgets are cool and all but really not neccessary in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    just get or make one of these...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PX74gr9RM
    That is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time!!!!!
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.