Thread: Any good hiking in mid Kenai?

Default Any good hiking in mid Kenai?

Hi guys,

Late July 2014, my friends and I are going to be at the family cabin just west of Sterling, on the Kenai River. We were hoping to maybe do a half day hiking trip somewhere close. We're going to do Harding Icefield/Exit Glacier later on, so we were thinking something more local to Sterling/Soldotna area, preferably something with a view to reward us.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

"Lost lake." Through trail. One from mid kenai, other trailhead in Seward. Great trail. Descending into Seward, amazing views of resurrection bay. Lakes at the top. Not too hard (a lot of stuff here is very hard, despite what guide books say).

Skilak lookout trail has great views. Also look at going up skyline trail, both are shorter hikes and skyline is a harder trail it is steep in places but gets you above trees fairly quick, but you'll want to pack something for the Bears or be faster than your friend anywhere you go. There are a lot of bears on the peninsula.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions. My cousin, who lives in Anchorage, told me about the Russian River Falls trail and it sounds quite interesting. Anybody ever been there?

Russian River falls is a nice hike. You won't be alone and the trail is very easy.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Skyline is a great trail on a nice day; the lower trails will likely be very buggy, stay high if you can. Resurrection Pass is a classic, day hike to the falls is a nice one.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Skilak Lookout has great views.
    Russian River Falls is popular, easy, and you might even see some bears fishing at the falls.

Here's a list of 50 hikes on the Peninsula: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=385

If you go hiking in the hidden lake area of skilak there is a large black bear who has no fear of man. He was in the Hidden lake CG this morning making the rounds. Watch yourself.

Release Lake Trout

+ to all the posts saying Russian trail. It's pretty great.

Not sure about Kenai area, but there is great hiking down in Seward. Mt. Marathon, and there is another popular mountain hike across the bay on Nash road (I forget the mountain name). The hike just outside of town to Scout lake is a fun hike; albeit fairly short (great Ptarmigan/Spruce grouse there). Lost lake and the Meridian/Grayling lake is also a fun walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    If you go hiking in the hidden lake area of skilak there is a large black bear who has no fear of man. He was in the Hidden lake CG this morning making the rounds. Watch yourself.

Thanks Hunt&FishAK. I was eyeing the Skilak area too. I'll be sure to pack some spray.

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrerak View Post
    Skilak Lookout has great views.
    Russian River Falls is popular, easy, and you might even see some bears fishing at the falls.

Here's a list of 50 hikes on the Peninsula: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=385

Great! Thanks for the list!

Quote Originally Posted by nyclad View Post
    Thanks Hunt&FishAK. I was eyeing the Skilak area too. I'll be sure to pack some spray.
    Pack spray wherever you end up. There are bear. Big ones. Also read up on how to hike/camp safely.

We really enjoy the Carter Lake trail. The first few miles are steep, but it's pretty awesome at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Not sure about Kenai area, but there is great hiking down in Seward. Mt. Marathon, and there is another popular mountain hike across the bay on Nash road (I forget the mountain name).
    If you're talking about Mt. Alice, that is a great trail....and good berry pickins too
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We really enjoy the Carter Lake trail. The first few miles are steep, but it's pretty awesome at the top.
    Hey Brian, I was just about to make a post about Carter and Crescent.. Do you know if they are ice free and how much snow is left on the trail? I called the seward ranger office and they do not have any updates. Thanks!

Nope, I haven't been up that way this year, Kevin. No recent intel on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Nope, I haven't been up that way this year, Kevin. No recent intel on my end.
    Ok no worries. if I head up there I will report back. I am also considering Lost Lake.