Thread: Where are all the birds this year?

Default Where are all the birds this year?

Is it me or has anybody else noticed that there seems to be a lack of birds this spring? I'm seeing all the normal birds I normally see this time of year, such as robins, juncos, warblers, chickadees, nuthatches, hawks, eagles, cranes, geese etc., but there just seems to be very few of them compared to a typical year. I usually see about triple the amount of birds that I am seeing this year. Any thoughts or similar or different observations?

Same here. I know last winter/spring was really hard on lots of species, but I don't imagine that's the only thing going on.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

We had a class discussion on this very topic today. Someone brought up a report from a family member of seeing some dried up lakes full of dead ducks. Not sure of the validity. Their family member was saying it's all because of famine. It's crazy how few birds we are seeing out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    We had a class discussion on this very topic today. Someone brought up a report from a family member of seeing some dried up lakes full of dead ducks. Not sure of the validity. Their family member was saying it's all because of famine. It's crazy how few birds we are seeing out here.
    Interesting. Where did your student say these dried up lakes with the dead ducks were at? Down South somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Interesting. Where did your student say these dried up lakes with the dead ducks were at? Down South somewhere?
    Here. Yukon kuskokwim delta. It was an aide. I never know if she is speaking truth or not. But there were very few flocks of birds flying.

Part of the problem was the lack of snow this year. The geese started arriving after most of snow had melted. We were riding our four wheelers out to one island to hunt. It was about the only place we could safely get to. A couple guys burnt their snow machines up trying to access some of he better locations. It was a harsh winter down south and a fairly mild one up here.

Heard 2nd hand report of birds dying as they arrived in Alaska along Central Border area with Canada. ( State DOT worker clearing the highway into Eagle) Could be from starving on the way up due to bad late winter weather... There have been no reports from the hundreds of biologist being paid by your tax dollars, about any of this going on....they should be telling Native hunters to go easy on Spring hunting if this is indeed happening. They are probably too busy doing global warming propaganda work for the current administration, to actually notice the late Winter weather killing off the Spring migration. Migrating birds were landing on the freshly cleared highway and dying on the spot. This is what the worker reported to a friend in Eagle.

Would be nice if someone could verify if there has been a large die-off this Spring. I fly almost every day in the Interior and have noticed a large drop in duck, geese, crane and swan flock numbers. Hard to say though on how the smaller bird species have been affected. We are just now getting into the arrival times for songbirds, shorebirds and whatnot....too early to tell on those numbers.... I would suspect the Eastern and Central flyways were affected the most by the long winter weather....just a guess though....

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Heard 2nd hand report of birds dying as they arrived in Alaska along Central Border area with Canada. ( State DOT worker clearing the highway into Eagle) Could be from starving on the way up due to bad late winter weather... There have been no reports from the hundreds of biologist being paid by your tax dollars, about any of this going on....they should be telling Native hunters to go easy on Spring hunting if this is indeed happening. They are probably too busy doing global warming propaganda work for the current administration, to actually notice the late Winter weather killing off the Spring migration. Migrating birds were landing on the freshly cleared highway and dying on the spot. This is what the worker reported to a friend in Eagle.

Would be nice if someone could verify if there has been a large die-off this Spring. I fly almost every day in the Interior and have noticed a large drop in duck, geese, crane and swan flock numbers. Hard to say though on how the smaller bird species have been affected. We are just now getting into the arrival times for songbirds, shorebirds and whatnot....too early to tell on those numbers.... I would suspect the Eastern and Central flyways were affected the most by the long winter weather....just a guess though....
    I know here, spring hunting was tremendously affected. My friend who took me out one weekend was showing me where all the geese were landing. It was in access able to us, unless we wanted to walk through 2 miles of muck and cross the weakening yukon. I will say the four geese I shot were very fat. More fat than last years birds.