Thread: Hello! We are relocating to...

Default Hello! We are relocating to...

Hey there everyone,

I am just here to introduce myself. My husband and I are relocating to Alaska next month. We have been planning on this for about 4 years and last year at the end of the year we purchased a home and we will be there in a few weeks! We are from NH and purchased a house a smidge north of Palmer. Currently we have a tenant but she is out at the end of this month.

We will be driving with our 3 great danes in 2 separate cars and coming up through North Dakota (unless you have a better way to go) I have tentatively booked some hotels in the smaller towns on the ALCAN because I need dog friendly places. My husband and I are driving on different days because i will be making frequent stops for 2 dogs and myself!

I am so excited but right now my current house is loaded with boxes and trash bags, piles of "keep" "toss" and "sell" to limit the amount we are shipping. It still feels very surreal!

We are both telecommuters and both hope to keep our jobs the way they are except we have run into a wee internet problem with the home we have chosen. We are thinking about answering a room mate ad in either Wasilla or Palmer. That way the person we are renting from will basically get the house to themselves and only have to deal with a room mate on work days between 8-4! The best roomies ever! lol

Anyway just a hello and maybe you can be my sanity when I am driving

Make sure you have a signed vets certificate showing the dog's shots are up to date.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Welcome!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

For dogs: current vaccinations WITH rabies certificate copy, health certificates within 10 days of travel (sometimes 30 days, be sure to check), and get PLENTY of refills on any dog medications to hold you over until you have time to set up new veterinarian relationship.

And a sedative for traveling. For you, not the dogs
    Fly fishing makes me herl

We made the trip last June with not dogs, but with a three week old and a 6 year old. Mom drove the minivan with the baby, I drove the moving truck pulling a trailer. We came up from Idaho, so not as far as you have to go, but here's some advice. Get a mile post book. If you run into trouble, you can find alternative lodging from the book. We learned this as we ran into a delay and had to stay an extra night in Valleyview AB. It sent all our reservations off by one day so I spent the better part of one evening adjusting our schedule by phone. Be sure to talk to your cell phone carrier about travelling though Canada, we got hit with some roaming charges on data updates that can get pricey. Best to get a prepaid calling card. There are lots of dog friendly hotels along the way, call ahead to be sure.

Once you pull out of Edmonton, your lodging choices start to thin out, but I can recommend the following: In Valleyview, the Paradise Inn, in FT. St John, the Super 8, in Ft Nelson, weve stayed twice at the Super 8 but would pick somewhere else next time as managment has changed. In Watson Lake, its pretty sparse. Ive stayed at the Airforce Inn and the Big Horn. Supposedly they are renovating "A nice motel", or Angies. The Air Force is the cleanest, but no in room restrooms. The rest are about the same. In Whitehorse we stayed at a Best Western, but would not recommend it. In Beaver Creek, I stayed a Buckshot Betty's Cabins, highly recommend. And the last stop was Border City Lodge just into AK. Looks rough from the outside, but great people, and good food. After that its Tok and there are several places there. Call ahead on the dog issue.

As for Internet up here, we got a hotspot in our home and it works ok. Have you tried Hughesnet?

Enjoy the trip, its the best!

Pet health certificate? Is this something we get from our Vet. or is there a special form we have to get off one of the CAN. sites?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Pet health certificate? Is this something we get from our Vet. or is there a special form we have to get off one of the CAN. sites?

Thank you.
    That is something you get from your vet. Just call in to make an appointment and tell them that it is for the health certificate to travel through Canada. They should know exactly what is necessary.

Also need to get a canadian insurance card for your auto. Its free, just need to ask your rep for one.
    BK

FYI I was in Tok a few weeks ago and found out the Westmark hotel wont be open this season and it sounded like the place in Beaver creek was going to be closed as well. Might need to make room reservations well in advance for these locations.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Also need to get a canadian insurance card for your auto. Its free, just need to ask your rep for one.
    BK
    That must be something new. I've never needed one in the past, but the last time I drove through was a few years ago.

Its not a requirement but is highly recommended, this from 11 years ago, last time I drove through.
    Not sure why but I have asked for it each time I drove through and once used the card when a moose ran into my truck.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    We made the trip last June with not dogs, but with a three week old and a 6 year old. Mom drove the minivan with the baby, I drove the moving truck pulling a trailer. We came up from Idaho, so not as far as you have to go, but here's some advice. Get a mile post book. If you run into trouble, you can find alternative lodging from the book. We learned this as we ran into a delay and had to stay an extra night in Valleyview AB. It sent all our reservations off by one day so I spent the better part of one evening adjusting our schedule by phone. Be sure to talk to your cell phone carrier about travelling though Canada, we got hit with some roaming charges on data updates that can get pricey. Best to get a prepaid calling card. There are lots of dog friendly hotels along the way, call ahead to be sure.

Once you pull out of Edmonton, your lodging choices start to thin out, but I can recommend the following: In Valleyview, the Paradise Inn, in FT. St John, the Super 8, in Ft Nelson, weve stayed twice at the Super 8 but would pick somewhere else next time as managment has changed. In Watson Lake, its pretty sparse. Ive stayed at the Airforce Inn and the Big Horn. Supposedly they are renovating "A nice motel", or Angies. The Air Force is the cleanest, but no in room restrooms. The rest are about the same. In Whitehorse we stayed at a Best Western, but would not recommend it. In Beaver Creek, I stayed a Buckshot Betty's Cabins, highly recommend. And the last stop was Border City Lodge just into AK. Looks rough from the outside, but great people, and good food. After that its Tok and there are several places there. Call ahead on the dog issue.

As for Internet up here, we got a hotspot in our home and it works ok. Have you tried Hughesnet?

Enjoy the trip, its the best!
    Correction, it was a Ramada in Whitehorse to avoid. We couldnt get in the BW.