Thread: what do you think is happening

Default what do you think is happening

I have a Remington 350 magnum in a model 7 cdl wood stock.
    I loaded up two different weight bullets 225 nosler partition and 250 nosler partition

the 225 s are supposed to be going 2550 and the 250 are supposed to be 2470

sighted in at 25 yards for a bear bait the 225s shoot to the left about half an inch but the group is all touching

the 250s are dead centered these aren't all touching but are close

I am using a rest and form is not the issue , I was thinking maybe something to do with the faster speed of the light bullet and the guns twist.

cartridge over all length is the same for both weights any ideas why one load shoots left

If you are only 1/2 inch difference in the two loads that is excellent. You could use either one of the loads and the bear will not know the difference.

Some weapons just like some bullets better then others. Chalk it up to different cut in the rifling, how it weapon is sitting in the stock, how long the bullets is in the barrel before it leaves, all kinds of things. That is one of the things about reloading, is that you can taylor your loads to your rifle/hunting conditions. I see it as being a plus, as at the range you are hunting you can use either. I am not sure how many rounds your weapon will hold, but I would put the 225's as the first two to be shot and then have the 250 as the last round in case you need a little more stopping power. Sounds like you are set for hunting over your bait, have fun and 'good luck'!

It's not uncommon for rifles to shift POI with changes in loads, especially in bullet weight. Lighter barrels are especially prone in my experience. Sometimes you can reduce it with bedding, sometimes not. Just one of doze tings.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    It's not uncommon for rifles to shift POI with changes in loads, especially in bullet weight. Lighter barrels are especially prone in my experience. Sometimes you can reduce it with bedding, sometimes not. Just one of doze tings.
    Yup, thatís the way it goes. The why has to do with the way the barrel is whipping, watch a slow motion film of a rifle in recoil and youíll see the barrel whips like spaghetti. This doesnít matter much shot to shot because if all is right it should be whipping around the same way when the bullet exits. But change something that changes the way the barrel whips, or more likely in your case the elapsed time to bullet exit and the whipping motion will send the bullet to a different place. So evidently yours is whipped a tad more left when the 225s exit than when the 250s exit, ether should do the deed, pick one, zero to it and happy hunting.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm with BB and Andy.

I never expect two different loads to have the same POI.

When you have a rifle that puts 3 or 4 different loads into the same place, or close, that is good.

I think the gooder it does that, the gooder the rifle.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.