Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninilchik EO clamming alternatives

Question Ninilchik EO clamming alternatives

Hi guys,

With the EO in place, what are people are doing for clam digging around Ninilchik, besides going to Clam Gulch or the west side of Cook Inlet.

Are people going north of the 3.2 mile marker from the Ninilchik River and digging? Are there even clams that far up?

Shellfish Emergency Orders
    The Ninilchik Beach areas from the north bank of Deep Creek to a marker located approximately 3.2 miles north of the Ninilchik River at 60 05.66? N. lat., are closed to the taking of all clam species. The bag and possession limit for razor clams harvested from the remaining eastside Cook Inlet beaches, extending from the mouth of the Kenai River to the southernmost tip of the Homer Spit, is reduced to the first 25 razor clams dug per day and only 25 razor clams may be in possession. These restrictions are effective through 11:59 p.m., Wednesday, December 31, 2014.

Thanks!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by nyclad View Post
    Hi guys,

With the EO in place, what are people are doing for clam digging around Ninilchik, besides going to Clam Gulch or the west side of Cook Inlet.

Are people going north of the 3.2 mile marker from the Ninilchik River and digging? Are there even clams that far up?

Shellfish Emergency Orders
    The Ninilchik Beach areas from the north bank of Deep Creek to a marker located approximately 3.2 miles north of the Ninilchik River at 60 05.66? N. lat., are closed to the taking of all clam species. The bag and possession limit for razor clams harvested from the remaining eastside Cook Inlet beaches, extending from the mouth of the Kenai River to the southernmost tip of the Homer Spit, is reduced to the first 25 razor clams dug per day and only 25 razor clams may be in possession. These restrictions are effective through 11:59 p.m., Wednesday, December 31, 2014.

Thanks!
    Steve
    With the current condition of our razor clams I am not going to harvest them this year from any eastside beaches.
    I think that is the best thing I can do for the sake of preserving this fishery.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    With the current condition of our razor clams I am not going to harvest them this year from any eastside beaches.
    I think that is the best thing I can do for the sake of preserving this fishery.
    Same here, we haven't gone one time and don't plan on it.

They should close down all east side beaches. To just close one sections intensifies the effort on the rest of the beaches, leading to more overharvesting and smaller and smaller clams. Time to give it a rest. Let them rebound and get bigger again.

I agree with everyone - don't clam. Your option should be the NewSagaya hole on old seward in Anchorage. Another is to swim on over to the West side and gitcha some. That's what I'm goin to try to do anyways.

Our razor clam populations here in southeast have been destroyed by sea otters. Yours are being destroyed by overharvest/poor management by people. At least you're able to somewhat regulate your harvest up there! Try telling a sea otter that an area is off limits!

You guys present good points about Ninilchik and CG, I'll refrain from clamming there. I do have somebody offering to boat me to the west side. I've never been, so I'm looking forward to it.

Followup question. anybody been to the west Cook Inlet beaches for digging? I only read/hear about boat access, does road access exist?

Followup question. anybody been to the west Cook Inlet beaches for digging? I only read/hear about boat access, does road access exist?
    Sure you can drive acroos the inlet at low tide from Anchorage. Everybody does it. I would think you would know that.

You guys present good points about Ninilchik and CG, I'll refrain from clamming there. I do have somebody offering to boat me to the west side. I've never been, so I'm looking forward to it.

Very good road access from Anchorage. Take the Tyonek Expressway west off the New Seward and head right over the lower Cook inlet. I think they are putting in a new Sportsmans Warehouse at the mouth of Redoubt Creek, so you can get your clam shovels real cheap. Hope this helps.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Very good?, .... oh sure.... You guys really need to tell him that 4 wheel drive helps and watch out if you're pulling a trailer.

Sure you can drive acroos the inlet at low tide from Anchorage. Everybody does it. I would think you would know that.
    Yeah, it's a regular highway over there... here's a shot from the parking lot.

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

You know Chris, somebody is going to try this.....

There are a few "roads" over there, but to get to those "roads" you have to take a boat or a plane........ well, now that I think about it, I guess you could walk to those "roads" too.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Someone should offer a black bear and clam special.

You can take the taxi its called bottom line charters http://bottomlinecharters.us/

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

Ah, yes, the photo that definitively disproves Darwin's theory of evolution. Every time I see it I'm tempted to type things the management would find unacceptable.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Ah, yes, the photo that definitively disproves Darwin's theory of evolution. Every time I see it I'm tempted to type things the management would find unacceptable.
    Or original sin.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    You know Chris, somebody is going to try this.....
    Well the OP is from California. And since he obviously didn't bother to look at a map before asking (or maybe Californians can't read a map written in the Alaskan language?) I figured I would have some fun with this.

On another note my dad used to work in Trading Bay at one of the oilfield camps.
    They used to drive over to the river at night to fish silvers in their off time. Well one night they get to the river and a plane load of tourists had just arrived to do some evening silver fishing of their own.
    They turned around saw the truck and asked the oilfield guys where they had come from. Without skipping a beat my dad says we drove across from Anchorage at low tide in our 4wd just like all the locals do.
    I guess the look on their faces (after paying their guide several hundred $$$ each for the trip) was priceless while the guide tried to explain what was going on and how this truck got there.
    I still laugh each time I think of that story.

Well the OP is from California. And since he obviously didn't bother to look at a map before asking (or maybe Californians can't read a map written in the Alaskan language?) I figured I would have some fun with this.

On another note my dad used to work in Trading Bay at one of the oilfield camps.
    They used to drive over to the river at night to fish silvers in their off time. Well one night they get to the river and a plane load of tourists had just arrived to do some evening silver fishing of their own.
    They turned around saw the truck and asked the oilfield guys where they had come from. Without skipping a beat my dad says we drove across from Anchorage at low tide in our 4wd just like all the locals do.
    I guess the look on their faces (after paying their guide several hundred $$$ each for the trip) was priceless while the guide tried to explain what was going on and how this truck got there.
    I still laugh each time I think of that story.
    Ha ha! Now that is a good'n. Maybe if a person had one of those military amphibious vehicles- a "duck"- they actually could drive from Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    Very good road access from Anchorage. Take the Tyonek Expressway west off the New Seward and head right over the lower Cook inlet. I think they are putting in a new Sportsmans Warehouse at the mouth of Redoubt Creek, so you can get your clam shovels real cheap. Hope this helps.
    Make sure you have exact change $5.79 for the Tyonek Expressway toll.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast