Thread: Applying vinyl decals to boat

Default Applying vinyl decals to boat

I've pretty much ready to start polishing the Wooldridge, and was wondering if it's ok to polish the areas where the new vinyl will be applied? I'm using an Aluminum polish paste on a rotary buffer.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    I've pretty much ready to start polishing the Wooldridge, and was wondering if it's ok to polish the areas where the new vinyl will be applied? I'm using an Aluminum polish paste on a rotary buffer.
    I've been looking at putting vinyl on the side of my boat, and all of the retailers have told me that, as long as the existing paint is sticking, to just wash the hull good, dry it, and apply. No need to prep anything.

If I do put vinyl on the side of mine, I plan to sand the paint to 320, just to be sure, and call it good.

Just remember when you do apply to use a soapy water mix. I think I used about 5% soap in a spray bottle with water (I think you can use windex as an alternative). Spray it on nice and wet so it allows the vinyl to be positioned just right before sticking. Once you get it in place, use a squeegee to get all the bubbles worked out. Work from the center out. If you end up with a bubble that gets trapped, you can poke it with a needle and squeeze the air out.

I don't think you will have any problems getting it to stick to polished aluminum. Just make sure its clean and no wax residue.

Also, you MUST take before, during and after pics and post them on the forum. Its kind of a requirement. Good luck
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Ok. Crap. I removed the back side of my vinyl and now you got me wanting to strip the sides too. Debating whether to leave it bare or pick up a new set of Hewescraft vinyl. Anyone know of a cheaper way to put on new vinyl?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I ordered my vinyl from somewhere online. You can get it in almost any color and style. I chose a black/carbon diamondplate pattern. I think it came in a 24" wide roll and they cut it for me into a 15" and 9" at no extra charge. I think I ordered two rolls. of 10 yards each or something like that. If I remember correctly, it was around $100 for both rolls delivered. You could always ask a local sign shop and see if they have what you are looking for. I couldn't find the black diamond plate local so I sourced it online.
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

So I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of the blotches caused by the salt. When polished, you can still see where it oxidized through the mill finish. Would you guys stress over getting all uniform, or just call it good? I'm assuming it's just cosmetic.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

So I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of the blotches caused by the salt. When polished, you can still see where it oxidized through the mill finish. Would you guys stress over getting all uniform, or just call it good? I'm assuming it's just cosmetic.
    So this experience comes from aircraft experience, but if you've got ALL of the white powdery stuff (which is the actual corrosion) off, then you're pretty much done. You may see some pitting, or if you still have discoloration where the oxidation was, you have decide whether or not you want to fill the pitting with either a thick primer or a body filler, and/or do you want to get a power buffer and kill that discoloration. Just remember, all aluminum came from the factore with a thin layer of corrosion preventative treatment on it. If you burn through that, trying to get everything the same color, you will forever be cleaning, polishing, and buffing.

Paul have you tried 3m brand rubbing compound it may have enough grit in it to remove the oxidation and still get you some shine, I use it first before the good polish to finish it out.

Thanks guys
    FL2AK, that's more or less what I was thinking but I needed just that confirmation. There is no pitting, just the white powder, which is all gone now. But you can see from the right angle the slight colour difference between the factory mill finish and the oxidized section.
    Sportdrifter, I saw that 3M product, but none on town. I won't sweat the hull under the vinyl, but I'll get some to get a uniform finish In the visible areas.
    cheers
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Ok. Crap. I removed the back side of my vinyl and now you got me wanting to strip the sides too. Debating whether to leave it bare or pick up a new set of Hewescraft vinyl. Anyone know of a cheaper way to put on new vinyl?
    What color is your boat Rob? I have some green vinyl & some white vinyl you can have if either color works for you.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Mine is blue. I'm thinking about calling up Hewescraft and seeing what a new set would run versus going here in town then having to cut the taper towards the bow.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Mine is blue. I'm thinking about calling up Hewescraft and seeing what a new set would run versus going here in town then having to cut the taper towards the bow.
    Rob - Since I can't figure out how to attach a document to a PM in this POS program, PM me with your email address & I can send you instructions from Hewes on decal replacement & options. The color band, stripe & Hewes labels were $300+frt for my 22' SeaRunner. The accent (splash) stripe itself was another $600 if I remember right so I didn't bother to get it. You'll see from the instructions that the Hewes color band is the same size the full length of it & you need to curve it to make it fit.
    Dewey
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Might try these guys out. I haven't bought from them, yet, but they talk a good game. Everything on their website is camo, but they can also sell solid colors, as well.

http://camomyride.com/product/Camouf...and-Motor-Kits

Did the boat tonight. Both side panels and the Wooldridge logos. Will finish the striping/trim tomorrow night.
    Went much easier than I had hoped for, and turned out great (assuming it sticks well) 3 people made it go smoothly. Ill post some images later.
    Pretty forgiving stuff to work with/apply as long as you spray the heck out of the vinyl itself, and any surface it even MIGHT come into contact with.
    Pretty stoked to have it done, finally!
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.