Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I cant believe taxidermists charging for Fleshing.

Default I cant believe taxidermists charging for Fleshing.

This is the only state that I have Ever seen taxidermists Charging THEIR clients a FLESHING FEE, even if they are mounting the animal.

I Have Never charged anything extra for fleshing, That's part of the Job on That animal.

I think its just a way to screw the customer out of more money without raising your mounting price in the first place.

They call to get a quote for mounting but then the price goes up drasticly when they arrive to drop it off.

I would rather flesh it myself so it gets done right instead of fixing a bunch of unnecessary problems caused by inexperience.

In fact we also SKIN for free if we are mounting the animal.

My wife skinned out a whole Grizzly in the back of the guys pickup last year. The guys were unsure what they were doing & didn't want to screw up the skin for mounting.

Worked out GREAT. & they each got a free lesson how to skin a lifesize mount for next time they get one.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Your the first Alaskan taxidermist I've heard of that does the fleshing for free. I started sending all my stuff to Montana because of all the costs that would add up with the taxidermists up there. For me being originally from the lower 48, I appreciate having to learn to do it myself to avoid paying the taxidermist to do it but I do agree it should be included in the fee. Good on you RJ for setting a great standard up there and hopefully you bring in some new clients because of it.

Working in Taxidermy in this state for eleven years I have seen animals come into shops in every possible state of preparation. I most certainly see the need for a break down of prices for each task performed.
    I see nothing wrong in charging for the services that are being rendered. Any one who gives a qoute that does not include the possible skinning and fleshing charges is a crook.
    Also is the crook who charges the same higher price for an animal that needs not be skinned/fleshed as one that does.
    A note to any prospective taxidermy customers: If a taxidermist is not willing to teach you how to prepare your animal correctly then I would think twice about leaving my trophy in their care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Sharky,

I hear what you say. I pay extra for fleshing on most of the animals I take to a Taxidermist.
    I also don't have to pay a fleshing fee... if it's done already.

The big fee I disagree with is on forms... I refuse to go to a taxidermist that adds extra (after the quote) for "special" or "hand-adjusted" forms

Chris

I believe as a novice, unless weather dictates, I may do more harm fleshing than paying a small fee to have it done right.

Chris

Until RJ pointed out that lower 48 states don't charge 'extra' for skinning and fleshing on animals left for mounts, I thought it was industry standard TO charge for it...You learn something new every day. Personally, I think the lower 48 is bass ackwards...maybe that is why I live here.

Sharks - all good points. I would also add that no 'service' is truly 'free'. I don't know of a single taxidermy shop that has volunteer skinners and fleshers, but if I ever do get lucky enough to get such a 'volunteer' at my shop I will certainly not charge for that service any more!

The cost to flesh/prep/salt is 'added' in somewhere - simply from a business perspective, it has to be..time is money, fleshing and skinning take time - Does the customer really believe the taxidermist is going to work for 4 hours fleshing their bear for free? Would THEY work for 4 hours for FREE? Of course not...If the taxidermist has to hire skinners and fleshers to come in and do that work for them, they have to pay wages, and taxes, and on and on..... Add to that the expense of salt, gloves, round knife, fleshing knife, fleshing beam; people should quickly get the picture that they will be paying for that service, either as part of the 'entire' mount price or separate from it.

Frankly, I did think long and hard about 'including' the cost of fleshing/skinning into my 'mount prices' when I started my business - just because I Thought it would be easier on me from a paperwork perspective.... I opted not to for the reasons you mentioned. I felt it was better for the customer to see exactly what they were paying for, and if they wanted to do the prep work themselves, they could save themselves a few dollars. And if John Doe came in with only a light fleshing needing to be done, then he paid for only a light fleshing...And if Suzy Smith came in and needed the head and feet skinned, the ears, lips, nose, eyes turned, and the animal fleshed, then that is what she paid for. It just made more sense to me.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    Sharky,

I hear what you say. I pay extra for fleshing on most of the animals I take to a Taxidermist.
    I also don't have to pay a fleshing fee... if it's done already.

The big fee I disagree with is on forms... I refuse to go to a taxidermist that adds extra (after the quote) for "special" or "hand-adjusted" forms

Chris
    no 'adjustment' to price should ever be made on any work order in such a way. That is poor business practice to be sure. As long as the customer is clear about what they want and the taxidermist clearly understands what his or her customer wants, the price should be able to be set quite easily.
    If, mid stride, the customer changes his mind, and wants the 'standing lynx' changed to a 'climbing down, right turn lynx', well, I could see the quote also being changed...maybe less, maybe more, depending on what the customer wanted. But that would be something that would be openly discussed and agreed to through verbal and/or written communication.
    Taxidermy IS art!

I can only speak for myself, If a customer is bringing a animal to have either tanned or mounted, fleshing and tanning is included in the mount price and is written as so in the contract. .Nothing changes, and their are "no suprises"

We dont charge to skin, turn, remove feet etc.. and actually at times rather do it myself than sew up holes between toes or repair the corners of eyes or lips that have been cut off and need repaired later..

Customers are encouraged to watch, learn, etc. .I find it if I teach them, then the next time they bring something it saves me time, time to do someting else. Only time I have ever charged specifically for fleshing is when I get a animal Raw, and a guy just wants it fleshed and salted to take home and store for a later date. I charge accordingly in case the hide is taken someplace else.
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

I have not received any credit for caping and turning and fleshing for any critter I have taken in (not very many). If I get it to the taxi soon enough, I let them do it. I am slow at it....

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Your the first Alaskan taxidermist I've heard of that does the fleshing for free. I started sending all my stuff to Montana because of all the costs that would add up with the taxidermists up there. For me being originally from the lower 48, I appreciate having to learn to do it myself to avoid paying the taxidermist to do it but I do agree it should be included in the fee. Good on you RJ for setting a great standard up there and hopefully you bring in some new clients because of it.
    +1. Thank you. Email coming your way RJ.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Your discussion has made me curious. Although price is not my deciding factor, I checked out your website and nowhere is there a price list. Most of the other website for taxidermists up here have one, such as Knight's for example. Do what is the cost of a caribou mount? Price per foot for a grizzly bear rug? Just curious for comparison purposes.

Caribou $900. Hard Horn

Caribou Velvet antlers $1100.

Grizz up to 6' Rug $1500.
    6 to 8' $ 2000.
    Over 8' $3000.

We charge FLAT RATE on all rugs & Lifesizes.

NO ADDITIONAL FEES FOR SKINNING OR FLESHING !!!!!

The reason I do not have my prices on my website is that it is too hard to update prices when we have a price change.

I have had customers that printed off my price list & will bring it with them 3 or 4 years later .

Then they try to argue prices when they hear what the current prices are.

I have better things to do than play games with people, so we do have a Printed price list of our current prices & there is a date on the bottom of the list that tells what year those prices are good for.

This way I don't have to justify my prices at all.

Also we have had people price shopping , saying the guy down the road is $ 100. cheaper for that mount & ask if I will honor their price. ( As I am putting their animal back in their truck & say have a safe trip).

Like I said , I don't haggle , My prices are what pays my bills.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy www.protaxidermy.com
    907 322 0936

Thank you for the replay. I understand the reasoning.

this last batch of taxi work... due to a Step-son that can't make up his mind- and keep it made up.... had to change final work.

no big change at the start- just change from a simple horn mount to a shoulder, plus wanted a wall hanging...

my taxidermist just lined out old price, and wrote in the new agreed on price- no "extra" charge for the decision change.

I believe that this is good practice, no toes stepped on, and not much extra work involved.

we were discussing this at the shop soon after and a customer, whom is a taxidermist, said he would have charged 25% for the change!

as I have said... some things I can do well enough- some things I prefer an expert to do. and am willing to pay for.

but if I bring a cape in that has been fleshed, ears turned, lips split ect--- I don't expect to see a skinning fee or a fleshing fee on my bill from the taxi.

Simple math in my mind.

Chris

I also understand that different animals should cost less or more than others.

whitetail deer vrs a blacktail, or a moose..

Chris

And I will NOT use a taxidermist who does the work then charges more than the agreed amount due to "cost going up"

Chris

Exactly my point Chris.

I know a LOT of taxidermists all over the US that DO NOT have a Written price list.

I think that that way they can GUESS what to charge the guy for every step & not have to justify the price in the end.

That's Why My price list is structured for Shoulder mount , Pedistal, Lifesize, Rug , Anter mount, Skull mount, Ect.

No hidden price of Skinning, Fleshing, Tanning, & No extra charge for custom Poses, or Habitat bases.

A lot of guys charge extra for ANY alteration because they either don't want to alter or don't know how to properly alter a form into a pose that the Supply companies do not sell. Just Easier I guess.

We alter almost EVERY Lifesize mount to fit the Skin & the pose the customer wants, & I made my own Pedistal poses Long before most of the Supply companies started sculpting them..

Not every bear or Lion will fit the form properly. Some guys even show customers poses in the Supply catalogues & suggest the customer chooses one of those.

Kind of funny to see some advertisement that someone does CUSTOM work when Every pose that they mount is exactly what you get from Research or McKinsey Supply.

& How many folks Send their rugs out to be done entirely by a Wholesaler, but yet they take the credit for mounting rugs .

Just saying , There is a LOT of Hidden stuff that the customer doesn't ever hear about but more than likely will pay extra for in the long run.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy www.protaxidermy.com
    907 322 0936

OOOPS almost forgot another thing, The guy that says they are an AWARD WINNING TAXIDERMIST, when all they have realy ever gotten was a Ribbon at a state show .

Make em prove it by showing the award & the animal that they won with.

It might surprise ya one way or another.

All this talk of price....that's a really small detail , next to craftsmanship. Important yes but minor.

20 years later you won't remember what you paid, or at least I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    All this talk of price....that's a really small detail , next to craftsmanship. Important yes but minor.

20 years later you won't remember what you paid, or at least I don't.
    oh so true!
    Taxidermy IS art!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast