Thread: Halibut with a skiff

Default Halibut with a skiff

Hi all,
    I have a 18' klamath skiff with a 40 horse on it. Would really like to take it out and try for Halibut this year. I've never had my own boat out the saltwater so I'm just trying to get a feel for where a safe place would be that would also be worthwhile for halibut. I've been in a small boat on resurrection in about two foot seas before and remember how uncomfortable it was. Basically, a two hour ride out to resurrection seems too much for my boat. Could I find some fish a little closer to the launch in homer, deep creek, any where....?

Homer is probably your best bet for halibut that are closer in. Plan to go out early in the morning on a calm day, and as soon as you feel any sort of breeze picking up, head to port.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

My friends go out of homer regularly in their 18' boat with a 40 hp Honda on it.
    They usually just go behind the spit somewhere. It isn't hot fishing by any means but do-able in a smaller boat and if things get rough is is only 1/2 mile ride back into the harbor.
    Sometimes they will also fish mainstreet hole and it too is slow but fishable in a smaller boat. They do catch Halibut at both locations quite regularly.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Lots of places across from the spit. Look at that charts and if it looks like a likely spot, you will catch something. As mentioned, go early in the day, come back when the mid-day winds first start to blow
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Not Homer, but my running mate operates an 18' Klamath with a 40. Dandy fishing boat, but it certainly bucks in chop. I can get up on step and run 25mph in our 20' Hewescraft Open Fisherman in water that won't let him do more than wallow unless I slow down a little and he stays right in my wake.

Only reason for telling you that is to heed the advice about breezes and chop. It's a treat to fish out of, but it doesn't like much chop at all.

Thanks for the info guys!

I know an elderly gent who used to regularly fish off the bluffs, in about 30 - 35ft of water with his 18' Klamath. I don't recall what he had for a motor, but think was like an old 35HP merc. Most Sea ports like Homer and Seward have what is locally known as "The Day Breeze". It comes up every afternoon and the water gets choppy. I'd recommend you do your fishing in the AM and about Noon, start heading in.

I think like with my kayak, you just have to pick your days, not be bummed when the weatherman is wrong, and keep at it. I think the weather forecast was calling for 15knts and 3 to 4ft seas on Mother's day.... glad the weather guy was wrong! As others mentioned, this was from 6am to about 8am so the mornings seem typically calmer. Ok, the halibut aren't Capt Nemo size...working on that. But my fillet pounds to fuel ratio is likely better. lol, I'm pretty easy to please.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I think like with my kayak, you just have to pick your days, not be bummed when the weatherman is wrong, and keep at it. I think the weather forecast was calling for 15knts and 3 to 4ft seas on Mother's day.... glad the weather guy was wrong! As others mentioned, this was from 6am to about 8am so the mornings seem typically calmer. Ok, the halibut aren't Capt Nemo size...working on that. But my fillet pounds to fuel ratio is likely better. lol, I'm pretty easy to please.

Great footage!! Well done man!! looks like alot of fun!!

I have a 18' Klamath I take out on the saltwater. Does pretty good in two foot seas, wouldn't go any rougher then that.

Charterboat Operator

my klamath, yes 18', was the best boat i ever owned, ran from Anchorage to fish creek and the little su, prince william sound, resurection, and all over K-Bay, it was the first boat i ever took to the west side of cook inlet, i ran the kenai, spent extened nights on Skilak, i even started chartering in the thing. i raised my kids in it, in fact my son now has one, launched it from the beach at whiskey this last weekend and went out and caught his first king in his boat, all by himself, we were 6 miles away in 15 mph winds and 3-4 foot seas, it wasnt much better there. the boat will do a LOT more than you think..

to the OP, your boat is very sea worthy, it will work fine. try the deep creek / anchor point area, as you do not have to go far. if you are not comfortable beach launching, use the river or tractors. watch others that have been doing it for years. there are many skiffs on the beaches at all times doing exactly what you are wanting to do. good luck, be safe and have a blast.

I had a 18ft Klamath for years and launched off the beach in Anchor Point. The farthest we went out was 17 miles. We almost always went with two boats. If you could see white caps from the beach, we did not go. Like previous post said, watch the weather. I would get your trailer set up for the tractor launch and go. We had a lot of fun fishing out of that boat.

Very nice video. Great job on the fish!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

As my dad (POLEBENDER) said, those klamaths can take quite a bit. My buddy and I launched at Skilak in 3 footers which was a bit of a challenge but once we got off the launch the boat did ok in the waves. There are plenty of decent fishing spots around Anchor and Whiskey, but launching off the beach can be tricky, unless you got the right kinda truck or wheeler.

Related question: what is the difference between a Klamath and a Bay Runner? Are they made by the same company?
    I have never been too confidence inspired by my 19' Bay Runner Open in the rough stuff, as it seems to pound a bit.

I had a Klamath 18' and now have a 20' Bayrunner. The 18 to 20' doesn't sound like much but the Bayrunner is a much bigger boat. The side of my Boat just says Bayrunner, made in Clovis Ca.. I copied this from "The Hull Truth",

Valco operated in Clovis. Valco built your Bayrunner. Bayrunner Baja's, etc.
    Unions are responsible for Valco's demise. Owners shuttered the plant.
    Klamath bought Valco a few years ago. They are now incorporating bayrunners lines into Klamath hulls. Klamath of new is suspiciously identical to Bayrunners of yore.

I use the Deep creek tractor launch with my Bayrunner all the time. As mentioned before, I look at the forecast and stay off the water when I see white caps from shore.

One point worth bringing out, and the mention of Bayrunner reminded me. My bud getting pounded by his Klamath has the version with the steering and windshield up forward.

Another bud has an 18' Bayrunner with center console. The console is back far enough that the ride is really eased. Not much joy for anyone sitting up toward the bow, but fine for anyone around the console or behind it. The bud with the steering up forward is making plans to strip it and install a console.

I've also got a 18' "Valco" Bayrunner that I launch off the beach at the Anchor River and go out as much as 10 miles or so. Can be a slow ride back when the tide changes and the wind picks up.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Great video, Thanks for Sharing..

This is one of the most awesome fishing videos I've ever seen. I love how you run a downrigger off the kayak!

All my experience with kayaks has been with a paddle, I've never thought to use one with the foot pedal arrangement like you have. Might just be willing to give that a try this year.