Thread: Is Competition Good Or Bad? Lake Creek Story

Red face Is Competition Good Or Bad? Lake Creek Story

Well, after getting rained out in Whittier last week (Memorial Day weekend) we (the wife and I) decided to go over and try Lake Creek. I am lucky to have a wife who is competitive and loves to fish almost more than I do. I haven't been up there yet this year and I needed to know how the river had changed. Both rivers (Su and Yentna) had changed. In fact just before Indian Creek, the river had cut a whole new channel and my regular channel had very little water in it (Chips in the impeller tell the story).

We anchored in our usual spot and the regulars were there. The Germans in there camper boat, Willie and such. We met a new guide called Wes who was very nice and polite. This is good news for Lake Creek. Lake Creek was running a little high running along side the islands and down McDonald slough.

My wife hooked up first and got a nice bright King around 18lbs. Not big, but hey, it’s the first King of the year and the first in the boat. You guessed it! She let me know this.

The fishing is a little slow, so I gave my wife some netting lessons and being from Missouri and a bass fisher, I wanted her to acquire the art of netting a King. I thought it would also be good insurance for me.

After awhile was I was sitting in the sun debating on a nap, when the water exploded in the back of the boat, my pole went to an immediate "U" shape and the drag was whining warp speed! I had trouble getting the pole out of the pole holder! When I got it out, I made sure the hooks were set and the game was on! I looked over at my anxious wife; with that look in her face of......well, those of us who have wives that love to fish know the look! It was a big, big King! As it raced past the boat everyone had their eyes fixed on it, boy it was big! My wife's eyes were big too!

She grabbed the net, ready to do her part and I am praying that she, at least this time, listened to my instructions.

The fish was finally tiring after 20 minutes. My wife got ready. The fish started to float a little. Oh did I say it was a BIG FISH! I told her to go for it. She dipped the net into the water as I let the fish drift back to her. It was a BIG fish! It started into the net! Then it happened.

It was all in slow motion! Number one netting instructions! Close the top of the net and pull it toward the boat! I thought I had told her this in netting school?

I could see in slow motion as she lifted up on the net, instead of closing it! The bright silver rim of the net was coming up to contact this....BIG KING! Then for some reason everything reverted back to fast forwarded! The BIG FISH came to immediate life and in an instant all I had in the net was a green and silver K-15, hooks a chiming with no fish!

Boy that was a BIG, BIG KING!

I quietly set my pole down, got me a beer out of the cooler and a cigar and sat in the front of the boat an pouted for about an hour! It wasn't bad enough that the BIG fish was lost, but my wife and I have this on going wager that when we get back to the launch, $1 is paid for the first fish caught, the biggest fish caught and the most fish caught!

As a foot note, yesterday I released a small king, lost 2 good size fish (along with my favorite K-15) and landed a 37lb King. But that one cost me a sore finger as (I learn every year) you can not use your thumb in an attempt to adjust your drag. Burnt thumb flesh doesn't smell or feel too good!

She wouldn't give me any of my money back either!
    Last edited by AKBassking; 06-04-2007 at 15:28. Reason: Spelling

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

so you are saying the kings are it at lake creek? Good
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Thanx!

That was the best fishing story I have read in quite some time! I fish almost exclusively with my wife all season and I can totally relate.

Thought for a minute there I was going to read about a husband finally outfishing his wife...but alas.

me thinks maybe she sabotaged your fish......hmmm...!?

Thanks again! great story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
    That was the best fishing story I have read in quite some time! I fish almost exclusively with my wife all season and I can totally relate.

Thought for a minute there I was going to read about a husband finally outfishing his wife...but alas.

me thinks maybe she sabotaged your fish......hmmm...!?

Thanks again! great story.

Well.....

That kind of crossed my mind too......

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Having never been on the Yentna or Big Su...yet...I wonder if y'all could tell me how to get up that way. I can look at Google earth and plug in spots on the GPS, but are there any secrets that'll save me problems? Not too worried about shallow water (SportJon don't mind it)---however, NO water is a problem; any channels to avoid? How much traffic? about how far is it up to Lake Creek? Any other clearwater streams off the Yentna? Are there Pike up that way? Grayling?

I just need to get somewhere so my wife can outfish me. Little Su ain't done it yet; we're both 0-fer.

Oh, and I also enjoyed the story...I was on the other end of the net in a similar situation years ago and lost a feller his first king. And last week I lost a monster halibut to the gaffer---at least that's my version of the story. Said gaffman would probably relate it was a much smaller fish and not in anyway his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    so you are saying the kings are it at lake creek? Good

There are a few being caught, but it is slow. It's also good to see a trooper (FWP) presants there again.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

cool I like kings
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Great story. I think we've all had some experience on both ends of the net.

Great story and my wife does the same thing to me

Default The Bet!

You did teach her that in netting school, but you forgot the cardinal rule....never let the one you have a bet with ...NET!

LOL