Thread: Anyone loose gear to the ice in unakwik Bay?

Default Anyone loose gear to the ice in unakwik Bay?

I know there were at least 6 other boats doing the same thing we were. Looking for bouys in the ice this weekend after the ice took our shrimp gear. We were able to find all our gear although one of my strings was about a mile from where I set it. The pots took a beating but Steve makes some great pots and all were OK. Surprising after being drug around all night. I hope any forum members that had gear taken by that ice flow all got their gear back.
    We were the two Bayliners traveling together and we were the first to go in to the ice after it had started breaking up.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

No, but a few years back, we had our gear cleaned off the bottom in Columbia Bay by drifting ice. Similarly, we found some of it almost a mile from where we set it the night before. Much to our delight, the pots were full of shrimp when we finally retrieved them.

I heard about that ice flow last Friday night. Glad we didn't make that run. I'm sure that whole bay will be a bad place to shrimp for a while now with the spring melt.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

How far down the inlet did the ice flow? Does it cross the moraine near Jonah B? I was hoping to head out there soon.

We were up there in April. Didn't see a single piece of flow ice above the moraine, so we thought we would run up and poke around the corner to see the glacier. We were tooling along pretty good and still no ice. There was what we thought was a wind line ahead, it was kind of flat light and pretty calm. Then all of a sudden "Oh s*** ICE" I realized that the wind line was not a wind line but the inlet was completely frozen above that point, had to make a very quick 20 knt turn and I mean quickly! We missed going into a 4-5" sheet of ice by literally inches. Our wave sent long cracks deep into the ice as we circled and came back to take a look. Didn't see any gear in the ice though, ours were south of the moraine. In fact didn't see but one other boat and gear in several days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    How far down the inlet did the ice flow? Does it cross the moraine near Jonah B? I was hoping to head out there soon.

We were in Jonah Bay and the ice flow filled it up on Saturday. You could make it to the moraine but I wouldn't set gear there. I went up to the moraine on Thursday night and seen a set of bouys there but didn't se the there because the ice was close and coming down. The ice line stayed when we left was all the way to Jonah Bay. It was clear Friday past Jonah and everyone felt safe to set just past it but we paid for it on Saturday morning. It took most of the day for the ice to break up enough to get in and look for our gear.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Anyone know if the ice has washed out of there? Just got home from the slope and looking to head there in the morning.
    Thanks

I was out there last weekend and it was all good. Lots of ice if you cross the moraine but we ran up a few miles and picked our way through it. It looked solid up North a bit farther.
    Bad news is that we did not see a bear anywhere.. Hit all the shore line coming in up to Siwash and then North of that the next Am.. Not sure if they are still sleeping or went way up on the hills.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson