Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody do any boat rentals from Bayes boat rental in Homer?

Default Anybody do any boat rentals from Bayes boat rental in Homer?

They are asking 600 per day for a 22 foot Hewescraft, enclosed cabin with a 115 Yamaha. Sounds like a fair price to me if you get 4 people together. Anybody???
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    They are asking 600 per day for a 22 foot Hewescraft, enclosed cabin with a 115 Yamaha. Sounds like a fair price to me if you get 4 people together. Anybody???
    I was on the vessel yesterday as a matter of fact!!! very well kept, very clean ride, I have Known Capt Bayes for many years and his equipment is well maintained. I told him the boat was tooo clean and needs some fish slime on it For more info you can Like Bayes Boat Rentals on Facebook! Good Luck and Safe Boating!! cheers

I have also seen his boat.Very well kept, with kicker and raft. Sweet outfit and two butts any size.

I think if you need other gear they will have it for rent too. Who know might be some hot spots on the GPS! looks like a very nice boat.

Hope he has good insurance or maybe just rents it out on calm, low tide days. IMO renting out a boat in potentially dangerous waters to inexperienced operators is a very stupid idea that I wouldn't want any part of.

As for insurance, yes he has good insurance. Renting a boat to inexperienced operators is not as bad, as selling a boat to a stupid person! In 21 years in the CG I saw many more boat owners that should have never left their yard, than people renting boats having problems on the water. I have rented boats, and was given a set of rules I had to follow. If a Jackwad owns a boat no one tells him how not to be a Jackwad. If you want to see danger go set at a boat ramp on a weekend!

Does the 600 per day include fuel? GPS coords should be part of his accessory package; if you want them, you pay for them.
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

Their website has more details. You have to pay for your own fuel. 30 mile limited distance - all this if this is the one advertising on craigs.

I'm not sure if that is a good deal in the Homer area, but I would say that it is double the price you would pay for a similar boat in Ketchikan.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    As for insurance, yes he has good insurance. Renting a boat to inexperienced operators is not as bad, as selling a boat to a stupid person! In 21 years in the CG I saw many more boat owners that should have never left their yard, than people renting boats having problems on the water. I have rented boats, and was given a set of rules I had to follow. If a Jackwad owns a boat no one tells him how not to be a Jackwad. If you want to see danger go set at a boat ramp on a weekend!
    Yep, some may be better off renting and getting some lessons first prior to buying their own boat.

How many days a week do you think he rents this boat out?

This is his first year doing this, so you would have to call him and ask. If you want to have a shot at two halibut of any size rent a boat. If you want one of any size and one under 29" go on a charter. If you have no clue on how or where to catch a halibut go on a charter. If you just want to have a great day with just your friends rent a boat or pay for a whole boat charter just for your group. If you are smart you would go on a charter the first day to learn how and where to fish, or at least have a shot at killing some nice fish on your own and rent a boat for the rest of your stay in Homer.

I don't want to rent a boat I have one. But for $600 a day I would sure rent it out.

I think the gps coordinates are off limits now. Shore based "guiding" or assisting has been outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    I don't want to rent a boat I have one. But for $600 a day I would sure rent it out.
    That's crazy expensive, IMO, until you look at what they want for a new one.

So if anyone has ever read a how to book on fishing they are now guided? I will put out a book of halibut spots around Homer that anyone renting the boat from Bayes- boat -rental can use. I just won't put the one or two spots that I fish the day I fill up my halibut for the year! It would be hard for it to stand up in court, but would be a pain in the backside!
    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I think the gps coordinates are off limits now. Shore based "guiding" or assisting has been outlawed.

Good point. GPS points are no more guiding than the author of that book was guiding. Isn't there a legal definition for guiding though? I would think a real definition would have something to do with a guide, i.e., a person that actually guides. Sure a gps point is guidance, but unless the lawyers are now in charge...... oh nevermind.

I agree with the law. A boat rental operation is just that, a boat rental. The people who patronize such a business should already know how to fish, and already have a working knowledge of the area. If you need help, hire a guide and fish under the limits if the guide. Operations in SE were skirting the law by renting boats, and when then they would send the renters to known fishing spots, or follow them out in another boat and coach them. Pure BS. They should be under the same limits as the charter fishing operators, and should managed as such.

Halibut are a finite resource. We can't pound them into oblivion.

Now, if you wanted to write a book, and sell it, go ahead. Not sure how that would work with the feds though, if you were also renting boats. You don't want to run afoul of the feds when it comes to hali.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I agree with the law. A boat rental operation is just that, a boat rental. The people who patronize such a business should already know how to fish, and already have a working knowledge of the area. If you need help, hire a guide and fish under the limits if the guide. Operations in SE were skirting the law by renting boats, and when then they would send the renters to known fishing spots, or follow them out in another boat and coach them. Pure BS. They should be under the same limits as the charter fishing operators, and should managed as such.

Halibut are a finite resource. We can't pound them into oblivion.

Now, if you wanted to write a book, and sell it, go ahead. Not sure how that would work with the feds though, if you were also renting boats. You don't want to run afoul of the feds when it comes to hali.

I agree with you 100% and I do both. I checked into this in length because people ask me a lot. A rental is for "do it yourselfers". If you're not willing to do the work, aren't comfortable operating in the area, or need waypoints, you should go on a charter. According to ADF&G, Providing waypoints, or directing the trip in any specific way, may be considered "guiding" by enforcement. There is a niche for boat rentals, but it's not for those looking to find a loophole in the halibut regs or a cheap alternative to hiring an experienced guide.

I wonder how the insurance works in a rental like this. Do you pay for that extra in addition to the 600? How much? If you lose the boat how would that work out? Don't mean to jinx ya but I was just wondering - that's gotta be a pretty expensive boat they're letting you get out of sight with. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast