Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod And Reel For Silvers

Default Rod And Reel For Silvers

Hi Im in need of a new outfit for fishing Silvers in August .Not too expensive 4 pice hope to use the same rod for soaking/ drifting eggs and casting spinning gear.fixed spool reel.I suppose a general purpose kind of outfit.
    I use fly gear when I can.
    Any ideas guys?

Thanks In advance Graham

8 foot ugly stick and a Abu Garcia reel will get you all salmon. Even some rock fish

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I use either a 6 or 8 foot ugly stick depending on location. Longer pole will work better for flipping though.

Shakespeare makes a great rod for this. This is a very versatile piece of equipment:

Single piece rod with reel combo. Great travel-ability (is that a word?). 12 pound test works real nice. Color is gender dependent - or maybe not - not that there is anything wrong with that.

Very reasonably priced. Lasts 2 years, then buy another one.

http://www.basspro.com/Shakespeare-B...58_41408622871

6 foot ugly stik is my preferred weapon of choice for any salmon larger than a pink. Although that being said, I've landed a 12lb king salmon with my 5' ugly stik with 6lb test. Talk about a fight! I like the 6ft because it's large enough to handle a 5-20lb fish, yet has enough bend that it gives you a good play/action and isn't overly stiff.

get an 8'6 shimano convergence with a sienna reel. should be able to get both with line for under 100% lifetime over the counter warrantee on the rod. If you go shorter you will be frustrated when the guy next to you with the long rod is rocketing his spinners twice as far as you to the slot the fish are holding and you can barely get you line to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Shakespeare makes a great rod for this. This is a very versatile piece of equipment:

Single piece rod with reel combo. Great travel-ability (is that a word?). 12 pound test works real nice. Color is gender dependent - or maybe not - not that there is anything wrong with that.

Very reasonably priced. Lasts 2 years, then buy another one.

http://www.basspro.com/Shakespeare-B...58_41408622871
    Fantastic post Bullelkklr this is not only a top piece of fishing kit how cool would I look on the Russian !
    I almost pi**ed myself laughing.

I did actually see a guide at clear creek two years ago make a big show of getting the same rod out and just jigging some jig head fly.
    He landed a few good chums to the great delight of his clients .

Thanks for the replies .As live4chrome suggests I would go for a longer rod we tend to use longer rods here in Scotland so It would make a good salmon rod for home as well .
    Last trip at willow my Freind's were hitting chums way out with long spinning rods I only took the fly rod and blanked .The local guys were all fishing close in and blanked that evening.
    So it has to be a long casting rod for me .

Quote Originally Posted by fearnot View Post
    Thanks for the replies .As live4chrome suggests I would go for a longer rod we tend to use longer rods here in Scotland so It would make a good salmon rod for home as well .
    Last trip at willow my Freind's were hitting chums way out with long spinning rods I only took the fly rod and blanked .The local guys were all fishing close in and blanked that evening.
    So it has to be a long casting rod for me .

I am assuming every one was standing way out in the water? Every time I have gone to Willow every one likes to stand out as far as they can. If every one would have stayed up on the shore I bet you more fish would have been caught up close. The places I like to go every one usually stands on dry ground. Last year my 7 year old son was catching silvers no more than 20 feet off shore weekend after weekend. That is one reason I dont go to willow, every one always wants to wade way the heck out where the fish should be and push the fish further out.

I use 15 or 20 lb test braided line and can cast plenty far enough with my 6 foot pole. If you prefer longer poles though then go for a 8 footer, I think you will like that better.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    I am assuming every one was standing way out in the water? Every time I have gone to Willow every one likes to stand out as far as they can. If every one would have stayed up on the shore I bet you more fish would have been caught up close. The places I like to go every one usually stands on dry ground. Last year my 7 year old son was catching silvers no more than 20 feet off shore weekend after weekend. That is one reason I dont go to willow, every one always wants to wade way the heck out where the fish should be and push the fish further out.

I use 15 or 20 lb test braided line and can cast plenty far enough with my 6 foot pole. If you prefer longer poles though then go for a 8 footer, I think you will like that better.
    Last year the fish were in the silt line way out. If you didn't have a pole that would cast far, you were not getting any fish. But, you have to have good roe also. That stuff you buy at Freddies ain't gonna catch you many fish. I use an 8 1/2' Kunnan (not available anymore) rod with a Penn International 975 loaded with 60lb dacron. With a little weight on it, I can cast that thing a mile. Sometimes you can find these old Kunnan rods on eBay for fairly cheap. Kunnan made great rods for awhile then their factory burned down. I think they are back in business, but not nearly as good as the original rods were. Good luck.

For the life of me I cannot fathom the popularity and recommendations of the "ugly stik" when directly related to coho fishing and soaking eggs. A durable and stout rod they are, no doubt, but they are better served doing almost anything other than bait fishing for cohos. The ugly stik is the least sensitive rod I have ever fished and they cast poorly with light terminal gear such as a #6 Vibrax and 12lb test mono, after discovering this using my 6'6" M action (10-25lb test) it became my dedicated "troll" rod for silvers sporting 20lb test.

A graphite composite fast action 7' one piece light (3-17lb test), using 12lb test has been my go-to for years, it has infinitely superior sensitivity to an ugly stik when fishing roe or casting hardware in the salt or freshwater. It will detect the softest "take" or "mouthing" that cohos are notorious for and that means many more chances at hooking up with a fish.

Do yourself a favor and purchase a graphite rod with high sensitivity, you will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    For the life of me I cannot fathom the popularity and recommendations of the "ugly stik" when directly related to coho fishing and soaking eggs. A durable and stout rod they are, no doubt, but they are better served doing almost anything other than bait fishing for cohos. The ugly stik is the least sensitive rod I have ever fished and they cast poorly with light terminal gear such as a #6 Vibrax and 12lb test mono, after discovering this using my 6'6" M action (10-25lb test) it became my dedicated "troll" rod for silvers sporting 20lb test.

A graphite composite fast action 7' one piece light (3-17lb test), using 12lb test has been my go-to for years, it has infinitely superior sensitivity to an ugly stik when fishing roe or casting hardware in the salt or freshwater. It will detect the softest "take" or "mouthing" that cohos are notorious for and that means many more chances at hooking up with a fish.

Do yourself a favor and purchase a graphite rod with high sensitivity, you will not regret it.

Its because Ugly sticks do not cost an arm and a leg to buy and they ARE a tough rod. The 6 foot ugly stick I use is the lighter one (but not Ugly Stick Light) of the two 6 footers they make. Its basically a trout rod. Last summer I had no issues casting completely across Sheep Creek with high water levels with size 4 Vibrax or roe. Also because its a lighter rod the tip is pretty sensitive and I had absolutely no issues with the tip not being sensitive enough for bait. It was sensitive enough I could tell the difference between bites and fish just hitting the line. Maybe thats why I enjoy mine is because it is lighter than what most people use for Salmon.

One of these days I will buy a graphite rod, but I have little kids and the last thing I want is for one of them to drop something on the pole or the pole itself and get a hairline crack and have the pole shatter on a fish lol. I dont think any one would would argue that a graphite pole is a more enjoyable rod to use how ever not every one can afford to buy one be it the cost, or the possibility of little kids having accidents around it and damaging it (meaning you have to buy another pole) lol. How ever if some one asks about a rod and is looking to stay within a budget I usually recommend the Ugly stick (the size I have) for silvers since they can be had for cheap yet are a durable rod and if you get a smaller one plenty sensitive for bait fishing. Of course any one who has the $$$ to spend on nicer gear a graphite rod is the way to go compared to a Ugly Stick.

At trustys you can get a decent graphite rod for 40$ spend 70 and you can get one with a no questions asked over the counter lifetime warrantee (shimano)

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Its because Ugly sticks do not cost an arm and a leg to buy and they ARE a tough rod. The 6 foot ugly stick I use is the lighter one (but not Ugly Stick Light) of the two 6 footers they make. Its basically a trout rod. Last summer I had no issues casting completely across Sheep Creek with high water levels with size 4 Vibrax or roe. Also because its a lighter rod the tip is pretty sensitive and I had absolutely no issues with the tip not being sensitive enough for bait. It was sensitive enough I could tell the difference between bites and fish just hitting the line. Maybe thats why I enjoy mine is because it is lighter than what most people use for Salmon.

One of these days I will buy a graphite rod, but I have little kids and the last thing I want is for one of them to drop something on the pole or the pole itself and get a hairline crack and have the pole shatter on a fish lol. I dont think any one would would argue that a graphite pole is a more enjoyable rod to use how ever not every one can afford to buy one be it the cost, or the possibility of little kids having accidents around it and damaging it (meaning you have to buy another pole) lol. How ever if some one asks about a rod and is looking to stay within a budget I usually recommend the Ugly stick (the size I have) for silvers since they can be had for cheap yet are a durable rod and if you get a smaller one plenty sensitive for bait fishing. Of course any one who has the $$$ to spend on nicer gear a graphite rod is the way to go compared to a Ugly Stick.

I would go with graphite way lighter weight. if you fish like me which is all day in summer you dont want to carry fiberglass pole all day hiking to remote spots or cruizing around catching fish. after 200 cast you will know why you pay a little more. they got st.croix and lamiglas rods
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Thanks for the posts guys.Ill go graphite ,over 8 ft maybe pay a bit more for a good brand Ill just wait and see what feels good on stocking up day in Anchorage .

Need to decide on a fixed spool reel for cums /silvers that will work with my surf caster with bait from the homer spit etc.
    Cheers Graham

What do you mean by fixed spool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Limon 32 I think you guys would call a fixed spool reel a spinning reel the ones with the bail arm .

abu 6501 on a lamiglass kenai guide rod...you'll cast as far as anyone on the river or more! I only run 30lb original fire line with a few feet of fluorocarbon. If you need the guide number holler and I'll post it. They don't call it this anymore but they do still build it. They also make this rod in a spinning model I have 0 experience with.

It works well trolling though its a little light as we found out out of homer (fish in the current). works extremely well for casting, back bouncing, plunking, its a tad light for kwicks but does ok. If I wanted a dedicated kwikfish rod (I back bounce quite a bit these days when I'm not flyfishing), I'd buy a kenai king just for this purpose and plan on doing just that at some point. If you're looking for a quality rod to take home, the kenai guide is it!

I prefer the 'left' handed bait casters, it doesn't make any sense to me to fight big fish with my weak arm and real with my strong arm. I think the bait cast industry has this ***** backwards! No hand changing casting, and no wimping out with a weak arm. I think the halibut industry has this ***** backwards as well!!!

Flipping fireline leaves something to be desired but it is doable. You do have to pay attention to what you're doing more than with a fly rod and fly line by a long shot. I prefer fly rods and fly lines flipping everyday to flipping the bait caster. But due to the amount of people I run around with who need gear I find myself using it on a regular basis.

For spinning reels Shimano has some great options in the 4000, 5000, and 6000 series at about $100. Look at the reel weight carefully; often the only difference now between a 5 and 6000 is line capacity. Daiwa also makes some very nice ones in that range, and Quantum very nice reels as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    abu 6501 on a lamiglass kenai guide rod...you'll cast as far as anyone on the river or more! I only run 30lb original fire line with a few feet of fluorocarbon. If you need the guide number holler and I'll post it. They don't call it this anymore but they do still build it. They also make this rod in a spinning model I have 0 experience with.

It works well trolling though its a little light as we found out out of homer (fish in the current). works extremely well for casting, back bouncing, plunking, its a tad light for kwicks but does ok. If I wanted a dedicated kwikfish rod (I back bounce quite a bit these days when I'm not flyfishing), I'd buy a kenai king just for this purpose and plan on doing just that at some point. If you're looking for a quality rod to take home, the kenai guide is it!

I prefer the 'left' handed bait casters, it doesn't make any sense to me to fight big fish with my weak arm and real with my strong arm. I think the bait cast industry has this ***** backwards! No hand changing casting, and no wimping out with a weak arm. I think the halibut industry has this ***** backwards as well!!!

Flipping fireline leaves something to be desired but it is doable. You do have to pay attention to what you're doing more than with a fly rod and fly line by a long shot. I prefer fly rods and fly lines flipping everyday to flipping the bait caster. But due to the amount of people I run around with who need gear I find myself using it on a regular basis.
    Great reply TradBow I looked up the kenai Guide from lamiglass looks nice half the price from a large well known store in Anchorage as from the manufacturer ! Just wish they had it in 4 piece bit I will defiantly check it out when we arrive with 1.7 USD to the UK POUND . It looks a good deal .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast