Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gulkana updated

Default Gulkana updated

Well the fun was short lived the river is way up and running Brown. 9 Hours from Sourdough Landing down tot he RV Park that's cooking in a loaded Cat. Great to bring the Kings in. The water did drop about 6 inches in two days however Paxon has not completely went out yet so expect higher water with some dirt.

The River is in much better shape around Sourdough Landing then down belowe towards Sailor's Pit. The Recovery zone is watsed down belowe the bridge so be for warned!

Lots of 15 ft Ice chuncks on the bank so camping is limited. Newly formed trenches in the river so Power Boat Guys here is your warning.

Any Who we iwll be back down on Thurs hopefully it will be clear enough to drop roe effectively.

Tight Lines!

BlueMoose,

Did you make make it back to the river? Myself and 4 other guys are planning a float from Summit Lake down to the highway bridge leaving ANC on Monday thru Saturday...

Thanks for information...

bowtchbowhntr

Default Update Water Paxon Down

Did you make make it back to the river? Myself and 4 other guys are planning a float from Summit Lake down to the highway bridge leaving ANC on Monday thru Saturday...

Thanks for information...

Guide's broke Camp on Monday we are heading back down on Thurs. to run our Lower River Season. That being said I checked with my POC in the area and it has been raining across the AK Range most of the day pouring between Delta and Fairbanks.

That being said there was lots of mush ice on Paxon on Monday and if that releases witht he rain could make for some fun in the Canyon and Borwn and Down on the water.

To be honest if there is ice on the bank up high like it is down low and the rain keeps coming might be a tad tricky up there.

I will shoot you a P.M. on Fri / Sat to let you know the hydraulics and water color.

Blue Moose.

Tight Lines

Paxsons out (lower end out Tuesday) and there are people on the river. River itself is still off color brown but dropping. People fishing but little going on so far. Bugs have come out.

Default Kings, River Conditions and the Gulkana

Water is fine and fishable need I say more Wink! Remember the channels have change some what so if your in a power boat taker easy the first time out. Paxon Down is good and the lower has cleared up just fine.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes.

Richard Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

Default update

Was there 10 Jun. water a little off color, but very fishable. there are fish to be had, saw several caught, and landed one myself.

Default section of the river?

I know the tower got it's first count of 12 yesterday.....Are fish being caught mostly below the bridge or would a Poplar to Rich float be productive already? Thanks in advance for any info. PM me if you want.

Default Fish

They are being caught in the entire lower system as of yesterday. That being said they can be a bit thin from Sourdough Down to Pop Creek but they are there. Tight Lines.

Default Klutina / Gulkana

Well I will be the first to admit I am not a huge fan of the father's day weekend prime fishing time on the lower however this year is the exception. Just to help you all out!!!! I have two guides on the lower river this week both are reporting excellent to above average numbers of Kings. Fish are running 20-30 Lbs on avarge.

Also Bobber Float fishing with Roe is out-fishing back bouncing bar none.

Stop in to Sailor's pit if you want a daily update of catch rates Look for the Blue F350 talk to Brandon he is a straight shooter and will give you what is working best on a given day. Fishing advise is always free.

Tight Lines! Expect exceptional fishing at and above Sourdough in the next 10 days! Fish will be at the spawn shop above the 12-14 miles above the forks by the 4th of July Weekend.

I read today in the paper that the Klutina Red Fishing is good! Hate to say it but it has been good for 10 days! Nothing like reporting after the fact.

Any Who

Tight Lines!

Blue Moose
    www.bluemooserafting.com
    1-877-460-7758

Default On my way!!

Save some for me, please!!
    I'll take a king and lots of reds!!!

OP1

Default sailors fish camp

Moose I noticed your guide is in a 1 acre 17 B site easement that allows camping for only 24 hours. Does he have permision from BLM to be there longer? Or do you buy a permit from Gulkana Native Village for the entire season to camp there? Just curious as I purchase an annual luanching permit from the village to utlilize their private property. I would also add that while there are fish in the river it seemed average to me, not hot. The fish seem to really be mouthing alot and one needs to be patient with letting em hit the bait. My perpsective is as of Wednesday night so maybe its improved a little. IF you know what you're doing you'll get some fish but a good 8-12 or more fish/day isn't happening yet.

Default Thanks for the data

Cory100,

Thanks for infomormaiton. We actully have a 1 year permit for all BLM Land on the GUlkana Watershed however our permit is reuqired to submit a usage log for the time spent on BLM land which also has an associated cost. Brandon is suppose to be on the Ahtna Property and We have been in contact with Marylynn-jo in Glennallen for over 30 days and are our permit. I will follow up with both to ensure we are following all the rules that apply. We pay annual just like any other user of the Ahtna Land.

Concering the fishing each day I post is based on what we are doing Over all the numbers are good and the fishing is good compared to our 5 year average as it was with last year.

You are correct in stating thet are not slamming however they are there and are taking.

Thanks for the post. Best Wishes and Tight lines.

Moose-O

Default Bummer Hal

Well today it got warm fast and fishing slowed to a halt on our trip. Just thought I would pass that along. Fishing was good early by 10:00 notta! Bummer Hal! Take Care and Tight lines! Cory Hope you did better.

Default Gulkana newbie

Floating the Gulkana from the lake to Sourdough starting the 24th of this month. Have read all above. Wondering if you guys have any tips for a first time floater on the Gulkana, anything from river info, to flies, to camping spots. Taking the whole family. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Default Gulkana Today

I was on the Gulkana today and it was down right dead for us since last night. Did see a few being caught by the bridge on flies. Just does not seem like they are thick yet. Good luck. Anyone have a prediction when it will be good?

Default Bummer Hal

Yep Yesterday about 10:00AM it went dead on us as well Temps near or at 80 with no rain makes for slow fishing. Up till Friday we were doing well. Some times you have to take the good with bad. We started picking fish on the 7th of June. The first push of fish in my opinion is slowing by the 24th-25th of June. That being said it's all about the water level and the water temp. A couple of years back they held at the mouth of the Copper for a long long time.

Tight lines.

well i would like to say I was at sailors pit since friday night and didnt get nothing or see anyone getting anything even went down to the bridge it was really warm felt great, nice weekend would have been better with some kings though

Default Lower River

Just to keep you mostly informed. Sund we battle the power boats and hills along the river from Sourdough Down slow but steady for the hard core people. Shot down in a power boat in places you should not take a power boat on the lower river Sun Night. Just need a little rain for a good push of fish back into lower system.

The forecast is for Rain hopefully it will not blow out the system and be just enough to keep the fish passing through on a steady basis verse having them shoot up to Sourdough in two days.

Tight Lines

Default Update

Report from the River as of Sun/Mon Rained Like an SOB from Sourdough down to the Bridge. After the rain the fishing was good. first trip of the year that Graylign and Rainbow fishing was worth the effort consistantly through-out the day. Kings were on the move and not as shy!!!!!!

Well I Leave you all alone for a day or 8! Upper River is Calling!

Tight Lines to all and Best Wishes!

Cory100 if your going to be around Sailors Pit this weekend shoot me a PM would love to sit around and share some fish stories!

Which day of the week is it that guides are not allowed on the river? Or is there still one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast