Thread: Interior Bears Get Big!

Default Interior Bears Get Big!

Having seen the thread about the record interior grizzly, I recalled an image given to me by a friend. This is a trail cam image taken in 2012. The camera was set up on a moose carcass taken by the hunter. I had hunted this area the previous 2 years and had a run-in with this bear previously. I watched this big dude from 60-something yards as he tried to cross a river toward me, but he decided against it. I came into camp later and told my partner..."estimated he'd weigh near 700 pounds". After the hunt, that got a lot of guys talking, and several skeptical comments. I didn't have any pictures, so understood their thoughts. A year later my hunting partner spotted this bear at 3/8 mile and told me he was astounded by the size. Still no pics. Another year, and our friend put the trail camera up on his moose kill. Whammo....he got dozens of good images and sent me a couple. The skeptics (who are also friends) were no longer doubting. One very experienced bear guy (who once held the world record polar bear) looked at it and declared it a possible interior #1. He had a client who wanted to hunt it badly, and would have spent much money to do so. We never revealed the location and the bear is still on the walk. This bear is not far from Fairbanks. I of course cannot verify anything other than what I saw, but it's obvious this is one big bear.
    bigbear2.jpgbigbear.jpg

How old are the pics? definitely looks like he owns the area..

2012...and he was spotted in 2013.

Nice bear... very nice. That's a real bruiser and a half!

I got a trail cam shot of a good sized Interior bear several years ago on a bait station in Unit 20...Front track was 8" across.

Grizz1.jpg
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Those ears look about 7 sizes too small. ;-) A massive bruiser for sure +1

Curious kdill, why did you not shoot said bruiser brownie? I hope you are saving him for this year!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Curious kdill, why did you not shoot said bruiser brownie? I hope you are saving him for this year!

I'm not a resident of Alaska. I can kill moose and caribou and blackies but not grizzlies. The grizzly can hunt me, however. I'd love to take this guy on mano y mano with my longbow. I'd be helping the ungulates.