Thread: Ticks in Alaska?

Default Ticks in Alaska?

I just got home from a trip to Minot N.D. to see a new grand daughter. I took several guns along as my son lives out in the boonies and has his own range, However even though the temp was getting near or below freezing at night as soon as the sun came out so did the ticks. I walked to the range which is 100 yards from the house and laid my rifle on the bench and walked to the 50 yard target to staple up some new paper. Thats as far as I got. I had ticks in my pants ticks in my hair....my pant legs were covered with ticks. I did not count them but there had to be 50 ticks just on my britches legs alone. I have never been one to shy away from the woods because of the bugs but this was like nothing I had ever encountered. My son said dryly yup they're bad up here.

I opened the gun cases this morning to wipe down my guns and put them away and the gun that I took to the range had three ticks crawling on it when I pulled it out of the case and there were a couple more in the case. I had taken it out of the case at the range and propped it up on the bipod and left the case unzipped for maybe 5 minutes.

I can't imagine turkey hunting in N.D. and dealing with that.

Do you Alaskans have to deal with ticks of that magnitude?

They are really bad here in IL this year my friend, I was hoping the extended below zero weather would have reduced the population but just the opposite seems to have happened...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    They are really bad here in IL this year my friend, I was hoping the extended below zero weather would have reduced the population but just the opposite seems to have happened...
    I'm going to go look for some mushrooms tonight. I'll take a bath in DEET before I go. iI haven't been to the woods yet this spring so don't know how bad the little buggers are here but I have never seen them like they were in N.D.

Despite what a lot of people seem to think, yes, we do have ticks here in Alaska. Fortunately, we don't have all that many. For the most part, the ticks up here are on the wildlife (hares primarily). There are a small number (increasing each year though) that are getting on dogs and to people, but they are still pretty few and far between overall. Nothing like what you see in many of the southern states. There was just an article about this last week in the Fairbanks Daily News Miner (http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...7a43b2370.html).

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Despite what a lot of people seem to think, yes, we do have ticks here in Alaska. Fortunately, we don't have all that many. For the most part, the ticks up here are on the wildlife (hares primarily). There are a small number (increasing each year though) that are getting on dogs and to people, but they are still pretty few and far between overall. Nothing like what you see in many of the southern states. There was just an article about this last week in the Fairbanks Daily News Miner (http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...7a43b2370.html).
    Thanks, that article pretty much puts it in perspective!

Yup they are here but in 14 years here I have seen one tick, one centipede, and one frog (it was still part frozen and very cool to play with.) Ticks and even flees are nothing to worry about here but skeeters sure are. Those evil little blood suckers are the worst this year I have ever seen! Normally here in the Mat-Su they are of little worry until evening unless you go stomping through grass. This year they are thick as they get in the Interior and no need to go looking for them in the grass as they come for you like buzzing zombie hordes!

There are also a lot of spiders in Alaska and I get a couple oozy spider bites most every spring, never see the one that gets me so took a long time to figure out it was spiders. Bugs are a very minor nuisance here usually but this is an awful skeeter year for sure! Deet and more deet is the norm here till maybe mud June and they slacking way off in number and dedication to sucking you dry.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I'm going to go look for some mushrooms tonight. I'll take a bath in DEET before I go. iI haven't been to the woods yet this spring so don't know how bad the little buggers are here but I have never seen them like they were in N.D.
    DEET is a very poor repellent of ticks. You should use permethrin.

As a kid growing up here in Alaska I never saw a flea.

Later 1984-1986 I was working in Petersburg down in South-East AK and the place had fleas in many houses. Apparently they came in with some freight and the little buggers managed to get into several houses. Since furniture is sold back and forth around that town, they spread.

Cock roaches are also non-indigenous, but Seward as a LOT of them in the down town area. The old business district used to have an underground tunnel that connected all the business basements right down to the old city dock ( now the sea-life center) . So back in the old days the cock roaches just moved into the basements from the ships.
    I was called to Niko's pizza place back in 1987 because somebody was having a heart attack. When they turned on the lights, the roaches ran off in every direction. You could put a saddle on a couple of them.

A couple years ago I bought a new water heater from Spenard Building supply. It was made in Mexico and had Mexican Black Widow spiders ( They had sombreros ) in the box. One or two infiltrated my house and I occasionally see one. I have sprayed all sorts of stuff, but they hide like ninjas.
    Peppermint oil mixed with water and peppermint shampoo kill them instantly.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Yup more and more stuff moveing in all the time. Last summer I was at a frends house here in the Valley and spotted a nasty thing I knew from Arizona, a brown recluse spider! No idea how they got them but once I showed them what it is they find them couple a month in thT house.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I believe the growth in ticks in the lower 48 is due to wild hogs spreading out everywhere.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

EKC:
    Was that Cow Country where you were in ND?

It seems like ticks in the concentration you mention must have been where cows roam.

I've never seen a tick in the Greatland . I grew up with hoards of'em in Missouri. (They came over from Iowa, and Illinois, lookin for better eatin.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty, I read today there are more than 900 species of ticks. One characteristic they all share is they jump on slow moving critters and are attracted to odor. So I am thinking if old EKC would get rid of that Mo slow pace ( that's where he is from ) and take a bath he would not get so infested!
    Not say'n he is real slow but the last time we were together a robin tried to build a nest in his hat he was a sport'n, he said he gets a lot of fresh eggs though
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My boss has nervous ticks when I ask pointed questions. Do those ticks count?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Haven't seen a tick (nervous or otherwise) since moving up here. Plenty in Virginia where I grew up. Haven't had any chiggers either since coming up here. To me, those are the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yup they are here but in 14 years here I have seen one tick, one centipede, and one frog (it was still part frozen and very cool to play with.) Ticks and even flees are nothing to worry about here but skeeters sure are. Those evil little blood suckers are the worst this year I have ever seen! Normally here in the Mat-Su they are of little worry until evening unless you go stomping through grass. This year they are thick as they get in the Interior and no need to go looking for them in the grass as they come for you like buzzing zombie hordes!

There are also a lot of spiders in Alaska and I get a couple oozy spider bites most every spring, never see the one that gets me so took a long time to figure out it was spiders. Bugs are a very minor nuisance here usually but this is an awful skeeter year for sure! Deet and more deet is the norm here till maybe mud June and they slacking way off in number and dedication to sucking you dry.
    I've seen lots of frogs/toads up here, but they're no problem.

IME, the Early Big Skeeters usually aren't much of a problem, but they can be due to numbers. It's the Later Small ones that are the worst because they're harder to kill.

I battle the Spiders each year and pretty successfully too. You just go to Lowes and ask for some insecticide that kills spiders, and there's probably only about 2 that will. I spray it at EVERY entrance way to the house or garage, outbuildings, and spray lines across the yard. And, I spray anyplace they concentrate.

The stuff I use is spose to last all summer, but I refresh it more often than that, especially after a rain.

I often see spiders, curled up dead on the garage floor. They made it through across the spray, but they died getting there.

Doing this eliminates the spider problem almost entirely.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Smitty, I read today there are more than 900 species of ticks. One characteristic they all share is they jump on slow moving critters and are attracted to odor. So I am thinking if old EKC would get rid of that Mo slow pace ( that's where he is from ) and take a bath he would not get so infested!
    Not say'n he is real slow but the last time we were together a robin tried to build a nest in his hat he was a sport'n, he said he gets a lot of fresh eggs though
    I can't blame him for not taking a bath, since there aren't that many creeks in Iowa, and most of them are full of snakes and snappin turtles.

I don't think he is from MO. I think he was just in Jail there for awhile. He was a kind of a Birdman in that place which is part of the reason he's partial to those birds nesting in his hat.

I'm pretty sure it's his wife who is from MO, and they wouldn't let her stay after she married a furrinerr like him.

He does move slow sometimes when he's sneakin up on a Coyotee, but he's a Fast Thinker.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Gentlemen, and Other kinds of Riffraff:

I know that many of you consider me to be quite sophisticated, and educated, but the truth is, I'm just a simple Hillbilly without much book learning.

Now that I've qualified myself on that score, I'll share with you some of the backwoodsy things I learned whilst growing up in the Show Me State of Missouri.

The best defense against TICKS, and the worst kind of Ticks, namely "Seed Ticks", was something we called "Seed Tick Brush", which wasn't brush in the normal sense, at all, but a weed. Perhaps "an herb" would be a better description.

I've since learned that the real name for it is Pennyroyal. It has a distinctive oder, not a bad one, except it was a bit strong. Seed Ticks are the very small, hard to see, ones that apparently hang onto small brush or plants, grass, and such and when you pass by, they jump onto your legs.

If we spotted them in time, we would look around for the aforementioned weed, pull some up, and brush them off. They could be knocked off with anything to some degree, but with these weeds, they let go quickly. We would sometimes even tie the stuff around our ankles to keep them off.

One of the many names for Pennyroyal is "Tickweed".

One more weed that was abundant there was Ragweed.

Ragweed is good, for wasp stings, and I've been stung many times and for years there wasn't much we could do about it. Nothing we tried for taking away the pain seemed to help, UNTIL someone told us about using ragweed. You just grab a handful and crush it up into pulp, maybe between two rocks which are even more abundant in MO than ragweed, and put the pulp on the sting.

It was BY FAR the best thing I ever used for a wasp sting, and the wasps in MO are painful indeed.

I can't remember ever getting bit by a mosquito down there, or even really knowing what they were, but we did hafta watch out for snakes and wasps, and bees, Yellow Jackets, and Black Panthers.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I've seen lots of frogs/toads up here, but they're no problem.

IME, the Early Big Skeeters usually aren't much of a problem, but they can be due to numbers. It's the Later Small ones that are the worst because they're harder to kill.

I battle the Spiders each year and pretty successfully too. You just go to Lowes and ask for some insecticide that kills spiders, and there's probably only about 2 that will. I spray it at EVERY entrance way to the house or garage, outbuildings, and spray lines across the yard. And, I spray anyplace they concentrate.

The stuff I use is spose to last all summer, but I refresh it more often than that, especially after a rain.

I often see spiders, curled up dead on the garage floor. They made it through across the spray, but they died getting there.

Doing this eliminates the spider problem almost entirely.

Smitty of the North
    I only ever seen the one frog. It was years ago about this time of year trying to hop out of my wood pile with one leg still froze near solid. Was very neat to check out, some kind of tree frog I guess.

Well them big skitters are sure trouble here at my place this year! Yup they kill easy enough but while Iím killing one 60 others are doing their thing, I counted 12 itchy bites just on the back of my right elbow alone right now . . . thatís about all the bites I usually get in a whole summer!

I canít poison the spiders with much of anything effective cuz of the wifeís Chihuahuas. Their little bodies canít handle much toxins without getting sick, I use Malathion outside and that helps but the wife loves her dogs more than she hates spiders! Even bleach fumes can get the little boogers.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I only ever seen the one frog. It was years ago about this time of year trying to hop out of my wood pile with one leg still froze near solid. Was very neat to check out, some kind of tree frog I guess.

Well them big skitters are sure trouble here at my place this year! Yup they kill easy enough but while Iím killing one 60 others are doing their thing, I counted 12 itchy bites just on the back of my right elbow alone right now . . . thatís about all the bites I usually get in a whole summer!

I canít poison the spiders with much of anything effective cuz of the wifeís Chihuahuas. Their little bodies canít handle much toxins without getting sick, I use Malathion outside and that helps but the wife loves her dogs more than she hates spiders! Even bleach fumes can get the little boogers.
    http://www.repel.com/Products-and-So...ucalyptus.aspx

This stuff works wonders for me, and it doesn't have DEET.

It would be good for the little dawgies too.

You can keep them IN from the Beeg Skeeters, use the repellent, and put the Pizzin Outdoors, at the doorways.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.