Thread: Fishing at ship?

Default Fishing at ship?

ANGLER: fishheadTRIP DATE: 6/3REGION: Anchorage/MatsuWATER: Ship Creek/Deshka RiverSPECIES: Elusive Kings
    REPORT: Fished the AM tide at Ship on Sun. Saw two people flipping by the cable hook up the minute I showed up. Got to a spot just past the second bridge and started the monotonous throw n crank with a purple vibrax. A couple plopped down next to me and the girl hooked into and landed a nice 15lb hen. Saw about 10 fish either landed or already caught by the time I had arrived. Plenty of fish rolling and acting up too.

Can anyone confirm that the fishing has picked up/leave their reports?

-Thanks , Oh and does anyone know of a ship creek webcam? I think having a webcam to view the conditions/action going on would be extremely entertaining

Default Ship Creek hip boots hot for chartreuse spoons

Yeah, its gettin' hot. Snagged a mean hip boot on Saturday, musta' been 70 lbs. when it was full of water. It put up a heckuva fight, and I gave it all I got, but I couldn't reel her in, even when I had my buddy pull out the landing net. Ended up floatin' out to the inlet with my lure. Worst part is, I didn't even get my Ship Creek hip-boot stamp this year.

Oh well, maybe next time ...

Default just my thoughts

With the derby starting on Thursday you would think the fish would be here, I went down last night and stood on the bridge, by the bridge and watched numerous people trying to wear their arms out from casting/reeling I didn't see any fish, on or rolling, I am trying to be patient but hopefully wednesday before work I will start my madness

Tonight I caught and released my first salmon ever (king or otherwise)! It's definitely picking up; people were hooking up regularly.

Hmm i was there in the morning high tide for 1.4 hours... Only saw one fish roll, didnt see anything caught, i heard outgoing tide produced a few (2 or 3) but fishing seems really slow

Took my two boys down there for today's (6/6/07) late morning incoming and outgoing tide. Soaked eggs and nothing. Saw one fish on but NOT landed with a load of anglers on each bank working spinners, spoons, spin-n-glos, soaking eggs & herring. Very slow. Even the flippers by the wire were coming up empty.

Two questions.. 1. Whats flipping, Secondly When the tide is coming in /out fast i dont think its possible to use vibraxes due to they need reeling, and with the fast current and combat mode its virtually impossible, what do people use during this time

The flipping technique is quite effective and is my go to method for just about any water with a decent current. While flipping you pull out just enough line to simply flip the line into the current, almost like (and I mean almost) like roll casting a fly rod. I flip the line upstream, let the current take it past where your standing and pull it out of the water downstream. You do not open the bail and actually "cast" the line each time you toss the lure or fly in the water. People typically use this style in the combat fisheries where casting from one bank to the other isn't nescessary. You could probably stand on any of the bridges over ship creek over any length of time when the tide is out and watch everyone "flipping." While flipping I tend to use a single hook and yarn, or a kenai fly or some sort. Color variations is a entirely new thread in itself.

Ah now i look like an idiot... i knew what that is but didnt know it was called flipping :P same tactic for the russian... What size hook do you recomend? Ill probabaly use some orange yarn and a blue corkie next to the hook with a split shot above it to keep it in place

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Two questions.. 1. Whats flipping, Secondly When the tide is coming in /out fast i dont think its possible to use vibraxes due to they need reeling, and with the fast current and combat mode its virtually impossible, what do people use during this time
    As the tide moves in, it slows the current and the water progressively slows as the tide affects the current. Current is necessary to 'flip'. You'll see the 'flippers' working in the normal stream channels. Flip upstream and pull out to 'flip' again as the current ends your drift. Pretty basic and common fishing practice at Ship. It really is a rough variation on fly fishing that typically uses gear other than fly gear - spinning gear - bait casting gear - and lots of weight. But you'll also see fly gear doing it. In tight combat zones, such as Ship Creek, there typically isn't any room to fish except to flip.

Vibrax spinners are effectively fished ONLY during high tide, during slack water. A lot of other gear is also fished during slack, such as eggs under a bobber, eggs with weight on a spin-n-glo, herring under a bobber, and spoons.

When I used to religiously fish Ship Creek I would use a good sized Eagle Claw single hook (I don't remember the size of the top of my head), and orange yarn tied with a snell knot. Mustad's & Gamakatsu's never seemed to stay as sharp with the constant hangups on snags and banging against the rocks. Carrs used to sell this killer egg scent. It was gooey, it was nasty, and the scent would linger like a used and abused public restroom. Before I put the yarn in the water I would goop the scent all over the yarn and rub it in reeaall good. The scent seemed to last until I lost the hook on a snag. I would have a dozen of these setups ready before I even stepped foot on the creek. Most sports shops have this tubular hook holder with an outter velcro lining which held this type of setup nicely.

I would arrive right as the tide was about to turn. I always staked out a spot right at the cable and would then follow the out going tide downstream. But I always made a conscience effort to not walk too far downstream. I always wanted current in front of me. Yes, you can flip without current, but it never worked out for me.

I always seemed to do very well at Ship Creek. I would catch my five a year, usually, in a 2 week period.