Thread: sheep/goat sleeping bag

Default sheep/goat sleeping bag

i am going on a goat hunt this fall looking for a new bag....any suggestions and what degree of bag i will need in sept in unit 14? looking at the kelty cosmic down series...

As always the answer is "It depends..."

Are you big, small, average? Are you easily chilled or a furnace when you sleep?

Generally, a zero rated bag is plenty for the Chugach in September. I would (and do) carry a good pad and a bag liner. Don't wear sweat dampened clothes to bed and you'll be fine.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I have a marmot helium membrain rated at 15F. Weighs less than 2 pounds. HEAVEN. I have never been cold sheep hunting up in the Brooks well into September. Love it.

I am sticking to zero degree bags from now on for ak. I wake up to 13 degrees sept 1 along the highway so I ain't chancing a 20 degree bag at 5000 feet along a glacier. Kelty makes some great affordable gear. Not top of the line, but quality you can afford. Like Sierra designs also.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

0 to 15deg is probably best... I'd be very leery of the temp rating from a vendor until yu test it- it may or may not be accurate with you in it. I had a 15deg bag that would freeze you at 32F.

I've got a Western Mountaineering 15F and a Wiggy's Glacier Hunter 15F and both are positively good down to the rating and with a good pad a few degrees colder. Out of a bunch of bags I've had they are the only two with an accurate rating from the maker.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Skybustin28 View Post
    i am going on a goat hunt this fall looking for a new bag....any suggestions and what degree of bag i will need in sept in unit 14? looking at the kelty cosmic down series...
    Tough question, as sheep can be hunted in August, and goats can be hunted in October. One bag won't do it, if you're looking for a late season goat with that nice long hair.

If you split the difference and do both some time in September (many of our sheep seasons close on the 20th), I have used a -20F bag some years. Late in the season like that, I am more likely to go with a -40F and take my chances that I'll be too warm (you can always unzip the bag a bit if you're too hot, but there's not a lot you can do if you're cold). You just never know what the temps are going to be, so you have to plan for the worst.

And I agree with the other comment that you cannot trust manufacturer's ratings. There are no industry standards for generating those ratings.

Down can be a huge problem in wet weather. It will even absorb body moisture. Tough to get it to dry out in field conditions. That Kelty bag- is that a super down (the supposedly water-repellent type)?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

i haven't tried it but i've been eyeing the marmot plasma 15f bag. i think with a quality pad and bivy it'd do the trick for most fall hunting and extremely light, but spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    i haven't tried it but i've been eyeing the marmot plasma 15f bag. i think with a quality pad and bivy it'd do the trick for most fall hunting and extremely light, but spendy.
    I really like my plasma 15F

I have among others a Marmot Helium 15 degree EQ which I have found for me to be more than adequate at least thru late Sept. temps. I have used it in near zero degrees and 10K plus altitude and with midweight long johns and been comfortable ... but barely. If I expect near zero temps I gravitate toward a zero degree rated bag. A good sleeping pad is very important to realize the full potential of your sleeping bag. Go to bed warm and you are much more likely to have a comfortable night. Good luck!
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"