Thread: packs

Default packs

Hey you guys that have experience packing a ways into the bush.

What are some of the products that you are using for bags, tents, and cooking.

Especially interested in what kinds of packs are you using. I used a $100 pack over the weekend and it was close to torture. I would like to find something that I can use to pack in a ways for sheep and goats and also use to pack out moose meat.

Thanks,

Hntr

Default OK Pack

Here is what I use http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...770&hasJS=true

I like it a lot.

Sure there are better packs out there. I would have to say Barney's is the best I have ever used.

Don't get me wrong this pack is great. one thing I really like about it is when me and my boy are hunting together only one takes a pack. then when we need to load it up with meat the pack comes off of the frame and has its own built in shoulder straps which make it a lot easier for one of us to carry the pack full of gear and the other the frame full of meat. it can save you a trip to get the gear out. the top section comes off of the pack and can be attached back to the frame without the pack to use as a sort of day pack on the frame.

Woody

These are spendy but real nice:

http://www.kifaru.net/BACKPAKS.HTM

I have one and love it. They custom make them for you.

Spendy but real nice...Barneys frame and pack, for the tent...Mountain hardwear light wedge II ( 3 season ) tent, the four season tents were just a little heavy...K

I know a lot of guys only use external frame packs for hunting. If you are packing alot of weight, yeah its the way to go. We have used internal packs for small caribou and sheep and they seem to work well. More comfortable than the external. As far as tents, the Tadpole 23 is a great choice because of the large vestibule and if you face it into the wind, its somewhat aerodynamic so it wont beat you to death! We use a sierra designs tent that has a roof that is made of mostly fly material so it breaths really well. IMO, you need a tent with at least 3 structural poles because the is so stinkin bad in some places.

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    I would like to find something that I can use to pack in a ways for sheep and goats and also use to pack out moose meat.

Thanks,

Hntr
    I wouldn't pack a moose with anything but an external, unless it was a small bull or a cow. I personally don't have any internal pack experience, I use a Camp Trails Freighter Frame with a Moose Bag. It isn't a large enough pack bag for a sheep hunt I don't think. Its about 4300 cu in. I love the frame and its comfy to me. My pack/frame is $120-160 depending on where you get it. The Barneys external is $520 I believe. If possible, I'd try to purchase the Barneys suspension if it wasn't an arm and a leg, so to speak!

I was looking at a Kelty Red Cloud 6650 for nearly the same purpose, except I wasn't banking on using it for moose. Seems like a descent pack and big. I've seen it available locally (Anchorage) $170 and on the internet for as low as $135.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/KE5306

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I wouldn't pack a moose with anything but an external, unless it was a small bull or a cow. I personally don't have any internal pack experience, I use a Camp Trails Freighter Frame with a Moose Bag. It isn't a large enough pack bag for a sheep hunt I don't think. Its about 4300 cu in. I love the frame and its comfy to me. My pack/frame is $120-160 depending on where you get it. The Barneys external is $520 I believe. If possible, I'd try to purchase the Barneys suspension if it wasn't an arm and a leg, so to speak!

I was looking at a Kelty Red Cloud 6650 for nearly the same purpose, except I wasn't banking on using it for moose. Seems like a descent pack and big. I've seen it available locally (Anchorage) $170 and on the internet for as low as $135.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/KE5306

Tim
    I too considered one of these packs but the internal supports are pretty flimsy. 2 small aluminum slats. Might be fine for up to 60lbs or so but I bet it would buckle when you get 125lbs plus. For an internal I would look at the Dana Astralplane (Marmot sells them) or a Gregory Denali or Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, etc. In other words, one of the "big dog" spendy internals. A buddy of mine has a Lowe Alpine, thier biggest one and it does okay with over 100lbs. But, the internal supports still sag with the heavier weight. With the big dog packs they usually have more than just two aluminum slats. This is what you need for heavy loads. Even the Eberlestock packs have a hard plastic plate in addition to the aluminum supports.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I bet it would buckle when you get 125lbs plus
    Interesting, so if the aluminum stays gave out you have no support. That wouldn't work too well! Thanks for the advice. In light of this new info I'll have to research more before I convert or buy an internal.

Tim

I was also considering the Kelty 6500 internal frame pack. I wonder if you could replace the aluminum slats with some steel ones. I have some scrap steelin the garage I could cut slats out of. Or possiblely double up the aluminum. Much cheaper than spending an additional $300.

Most if not all internal frame packs have alumium stays. That's your "frame". Nothing wrong with them if you want an internal frame pack. It's just that some packs are designed to be able to handle the 100+ lb loads but most of them aren't. When you think about it most backpackers aren't hauling that kind of weight. A 50lb pack for a typical backpacker is pretty heavy. 75+lbs jumps from backpacking to expedition. Us hunters really need expedition quality packs if you are going to haul 100+ lbs over rough terrain. That Kelty would probably do just fine hauling a 65lb pack with your weeks worth of gear up into sheep country. But, throw a half a sheep in there and you are pushing it's limits. That's where the high end internals with the beefier aluminum stays and the plastic panels come in.

Personally I think one of the older Camp Trail frame packs with the harness system on them would be a much better low cost alternative. You can get them on ebay for 50-100 bucks or less. The current barneys packs are modeled after the old Camptrails frames.

EDIT: In fact here is one with buy it now for 75 bucks. Someone around here ought to snag this one up quick! http://cgi.ebay.com/CampTrails-Wilde...ayphotohosting