Thread: Can a canoe be flown out to a remote lake under a beaver or otter on floats?

Default Can a canoe be flown out to a remote lake under a beaver or otter on floats?

I want to fly out to some remote property and check it out. I was thinking about hiring a pilot to fly me out there with a canoe and I was curious if anyone knew if it was possible to attach a canoe under the fuselage of a beaver or otter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I want to fly out to some remote property and check it out. I was thinking about hiring a pilot to fly me out there with a canoe and I was curious if anyone knew if it was possible to attach a canoe under the fuselage of a beaver or otter.
    Sure can. deHavilland actually made a canoe carrying kit in the 50's that attached to the struts between the floats and fuselage, and the canoe rode on top of the floats, lashed to the struts. Those are pretty rare these days, but I believe there also aftermarket options around. Check with some air taxi operators. I'm certain someone will do it. I just don't know who off the top of my head. (Heck, for that matter, check with some of the pilot guys on the forum. In fact, you t\really should have posted this in the AK Bush Flying section.)

Things may have changed but if I remember correctly, if you hire a commercial service they aren't allowed to tie anything on the outside of the plane for safety reasons. If it's just a friend with a plane then he can.

Again, don't quote me on this but I do believe that used to be the law....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Things may have changed but if I remember correctly, if you hire a commercial service they aren't allowed to tie anything on the outside of the plane for safety reasons. If it's just a friend with a plane then he can.

I think there's also a proviso (or is it merely a recommendation?) that zero passengers be aboard while its strapped on.

And don't quote me either. I know I read about it and they said it was darned dangerous since it can catch the wind so effectively especially from the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Member danattherock had a killer fly-in canoe solution. PM him and I'm sure he'd be happy to help. Or maybe you can find the thread on here; he might have been talking about the Goodnews I forget.

I believe a pilot can fly only the canoe with no passengers.
    Then he flies you in, so you pay twice to get in and out.
    Better to rent a Pak canoe and fly that in with you.

Yup. Got to have an external load permit and airworthiness certificate. And no pax allowed while carrying any external load.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Well this has turned out to be an eye opener. I know of a hangar in Anchorage has one of the originals still in the crate, but now I understand why. With all those restrictions (especially no passengers) I can see why a canoe carry kit would be in really REALLY low demand. So these guys are right, guess you'll have to go with some sort of inflatable canoe.

ALLLLL-though....I'm pretty sure you can get one of those 8-10 ft river kayaks actually inside the Beaver, if it has the cargo door mod. Then it just becomes 35 lbs of baggage, and you still have a way to paddle around.

I think Dan's pair of canoes were Alley brand. They had sponsons and were stable for all.

Ally canoes don't have sponsons. That is the pak canoe brand.

Beavers can carry passengers with an external load. Other planes with ext load permits are operated in the restricted category when carrying external loads. No passengers are allowed unless they're crew, that is they're necessary for the operation. There's a shade of gray for you.

get a canoe that can be roled up an put in a box , some of them will take a motor an still go they are a good unit
    SID

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

Yup that sounds right. I tried to set up a possible flight for my canoe when I was in Fort Yukon last year. The commercial service said they could not do it but maybe the other 1-man operator located at the airstrip would do it. That pilot was not around when I was there so I didn't get a chance to ask.

Arn't we all glad they would not fly out your canoe Bob
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Arn't we all glad they would not fly out your canoe Bob
    Howdy Will! It wasn't that I was gonna give up, I was just trying to setup a backup plan. Fort Yukon'ers were all saying "no way you're getting up the Chandalar with the high water". So I thought if they were right and I only get part way up, maybe I could arrange for a lift to the Koyukuk River. I was fine with the no fly out option- now it was simple. Either I make it or I don't.

But back to the OP's question, I was really surprised that strapping the canoe above the floats wasn't an option. I've seen fire fighters in northern MN do it on Beavers bringing canoes into remote lakes. Didn't know why it wasn't allowed until I read the responses here.

I see canoes, guns and even 16' forrest service lunds hung on planes here each year.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

before the advent of inflatables, Chestnut Canoe Company used to build "nestables". it was a genius way of flying multiple canoes that stacked inside of the other, and strapped to the bottom of bush planes.

just a little bizarre history, from a bizarre canoe guy...........................

I just had to go look that up. Wow, look what I found; original (reprints) of their 1928 catalog. See it here:
    http://www.picturetrail.com/jockogilvy

That's almost as cool as those old wooldridge catalogs posted on here awhile back.