Thread: Best way to approach this??

Default Best way to approach this??

I placed my bait out April 15th in 20B. The area I'm in isn't easy access yet it isn't too difficult either for the average outdoorsman. The problem I'm having is that a fella set up a bait about 300 meters down the line from me. Was taking my buddy to drop him off at that stand so I could head to mine and two guys met me on my way out. Said they had just put their stand up. They could've had it anywhere in the great unknown but after doing a small bit of walking I found their bait about 300 meters away. Any seasoned guys up here have an ethical answer? The area also isn't heavily baited. To my knowledge there are only mine and his baits in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by robertnbrewer View Post
    The problem I'm having is that a fella set up a bait about 300 meters down the line from me. Was taking my buddy to drop him off at that stand...
    You were going to put your buddy on someone else bait?

Well, make new friends and double the smell don't hurt
    Alaska gets very small when it comes to hunting. No different then standing next to someone in the river waiting to hook into a salmon. Be positive about it and positive results will happen
    Otherwise negativity only creates negative feelings .
    Just my 50 cents on the situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sometimes when it comes to baiting 300 meters is a long ways away as bears circle around. In some areas its hard to find a spot and people congregate. I put two baits within 50 yards to get more scent so it may do you good. If they make noise it may drive bears to you.

Limon, no that isn't what I meant. I have 2 baits out there about 6 miles from eachother. The bait of mine that I am letting my buddy hunt has another baiter who placed his bait just down the way from me. And thanks for the replies guys. I didn't know whether to be pissed off or just leave it be and look at it as more scent in the air. Guess I'm used to the common courtesy thing of hey someone else is in here, maybe I should move on state of mind.

Unfortunately those rules need not apply in 20b
    Been there done that Robert
    Just now your hunt got more intense!! Not only do you have to outsmart yogi, you also have to outsmart another hunter!!! You'll be fine !! Best of luck to ya and enjoy the skeeters

If you meet up with the other baiters, just strike up a conversation with them and maybe you'll come to a conclusion with a gentleman's agreement. You leave each other's baits alone yet kinda watch out for each other as well. Or relocate...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    You were going to put your buddy on someone else bait?
    Limon, no that isn't what I meant. I have 2 baits out there about 6 miles from eachother. The bait of mine that I am letting my buddy hunt has another baiter who placed his bait just down the way from me. And thanks for the replies guys. I didn't know whether to be pissed off or just leave it be and look at it as more scent in the air. Guess I'm used to the common courtesy thing of hey someone else is in here, maybe I should move on state of mind.
    I read it the same way. Thanks for the explanation.

Good to hear! I agree with the others, consider it free attractant and don't stress about it. It's public land I assume? Better to get along than have it regulated like the refuge down here.

Had a good conversation with the guys today, two great guys. Obviously they didn't know my bait was there no signs on the road or anything. We're gonna both keep spreading scent and have a system to let eachother know when we finally get hit. Cool enough, one of the guys is also on the forum. Just wish we could get some hits!!!! Ugh!