Thread: question on recovery tool

Default question on recovery tool

I am new to the atv thing and am trying to figure out some good recovery tools the wasp and the danforth were recommended but the wasp has some issues I don't care to deal with. When choosing a danforth I see there are several different sizes. I have a 6 wheel ranger and like to hunt where there are very few trees at time, as we all do. Could someone recommend the right sized to buy? Thank you for your time.

I have seen anchors work, they are finicky. I have also used a 2" steel bar that's 5' long that worked very well. I was upside down in a rhino and a pipe hammered into the ground about 3' help while another machine was anchored to it and it held while the extra machine pulled the rhino up a steep hill.. I like the steel pipe. I would do a schedule 80 at least for a 6x6. forgot to add, I also have 500' of 3/16 spectre line. ( I know its expensive)

It also depends on the winch mount height too cause the Danforth anchors are made to dig in when pulled down so when pulled up they work like a plow and make a trench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nastyak650h1 View Post
    It also depends on the winch mount height too cause the Danforth anchors are made to dig in when pulled down so when pulled up they work like a plow and make a trench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    very true. If he is trying to use a Danforth and the scope is to steep all he would need to do is add length between the winch and the anchor. problem solved. And from experience, the more line you have out to the anchor the better.

Thank you for your advise on this. Yes that's what I was seeing, the device was acting as a plow rather than an anchor. I didn't realize it had to do with placement of the winch. I like the pipe idea.. it's cheaper too.

If I were to purchase the Danforth at some point could you recommend what size to get?

Go to AIH or Alaska Rope and pick up a few Duckbill anchors and a drive rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Go to AIH or Alaska Rope and pick up a few Duckbill anchors and a drive rod.
    I use a pipe myself, but I think this is a great idea. Might have to try it.

I run a Big Boss 6x6 and my wife has a 570 Razor. Both have 26" Mud Lite XL's, big winches and a spare battery. I also bring bring a shovel, Dankforth, extra spectra winch line and a single part pulley. I also always carry the big Estwing ax and couple of heavy duty nylon straps, a hundred feet of 1/2" rope and jumper cables A green 4" diameter spruce pole about 5' long is nice for a dead man too. I always try to avoid horrible places and won't go through them on a recreational ride if they are to bad. If I have to get through them to reach the happy hunting grounds then I pull up my sleeves and put the hip boots on and try not to cuss. LOL