Thread: Alexander Lake Pike Information

Default Alexander Lake Pike Information

I'm going to be taking my kids over to Alexander Lake for a day trip in late June to do some pike fishing. Flying over with Trail Ridge Air. I've done some pike fishing on Trapper lake before, so I have a fairly decent idea of how to fish for them, but never been to Alexander. I've heard there are a lot of pike and the fishing should be pretty good for the kids, but I wanted to see if there was anyone that could offer any information and/or experience that might be helpful to us?

I've heard that Alexander Lake Lodge is located nearby, does anyone know if it is open for business (i.e. lunch) if you are not staying at the lodge?

Thanks for your help.

I'd call the lodge they might just be open for lunch but you can probably google them then call them to double check just don't expect $5 burgers or a menu at all. As for fishing I have not personally been there but when I worked at rust's ever person we sent there caught at least 50 pike and always got a slot fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Just Returned!

I just got back from Alexander Lake and it was awesome! We hooked over 50 fish (released them all) in about 6 hours. The water is clear and with a good set of glasses the fish are easy to spot. casting to the bank on either side of the Lake outlet was good, but the left side (looking into the outlet) produced the most strikes. Order the Mad Tommy Frog from Cablea's and you and your kids will have a BLAST! Bring plenty of them. I had ten and I fished them until both legs were gone! I would bring 3 packs of 10 (30) for this trip and you will be glad you did.
    None of the fish were big, but it was a blast, especially for the young guys. Pike will actually pick these lures up off the bottom and hold them until they set the hook. It was crazy the way they loved these things.
    Cabela's AquaGlow Mad Tommy Item:IH-121775

Awesome! Thanks for the information, I will plan on ordering some of those Mad Tommy frogs, I had actually noticed them when I was looking on Cabelas.

Thumbs up fun lake

I have been over there twice in the last three years and fishing was great. Theres high high pike numbers and some big ones - have never caught anything big there myself but we had a large one 25 pounds maybe more follow and clamp its jaws onto the fish my buddy had caught. We never got that fish but it was quite a site. You can catch them with anything i think, but surface lures are the most fun and weedless is a good way to go the johnson silver minnow would be my pick if i could take only one lure. Also dead bait minnows are great! - herring etc.
    The lodge might have a boat you can use for the day - not sure on price - Trailrige can find out this for you - and im not sure on food but they did cook a great German meal the year i stayed in one of there cabins. Your kids will have a blast. Mesquitos are bad on land normally, but not bad when in the boat. Catch a gator - T

I was there a few weekends ago. Between myself and two buddies we landed almsot 120-130 fish. It was a close fight all day who could land the most. We landed 4 that where over 30" and the biggest being 37" and 7-10 lbs. We also experienced the large monster following a smaller one that was hooked to the surface. What a great day, it was $235 for the day trip which includes the boat rental. Good luck and have fun.

Default Don't Overlook Options

Don't overlook your other options. Several of the guys I know have been doing extremely well on larger pike, out on Whiskey and Hewitt Lakes. Alexander has gotten a lot of pressure the past two years, winter and summer. It is a little further by plane or snowmachine, but worth it when you get there. Seems as though Alexander has followed the same path as Trapper Lake, lots of big fish taken, means lots of small fish left.

If you don't catch fish its because your lure is on the bank and not in the water
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

With the bigger ones chasing the smaller ones, I'd probably try to thread a smaller one and use it for bait with a nast treble hook seated in it's pooper.

Question Alexander Lake Accomodations

Anybody have info on the lodge at Alexander Lake? There are four of us who are looking for an unguided Pike fishing experience. Don't need more than a bug-tite cabin, boats, motor and fuel. Of course lots of Pike and a shot at 35"+ helps too. Getting mixed info on this lake. Sounds llike lots of Pike but not sure about size recently. Thought there was a slot limit or was that just a proposal?

Willow Air advertises cabins and boats. Just wondering if anybody has actually stayed there or just done a day trip or boated up the creek.

Google Trail Ridge Air - They do flights to/from Anchorage, and they manage the bookings for cabins.

Good luck.

Nate