Thread: looking for awesome campgrounds I can drive to from anchorage !!fishing!!

Default looking for awesome campgrounds I can drive to from anchorage !!fishing!!

The subject line says it all. Im looking for awesome campgrounds to take my family to. I love fishing for pretty much anything. Any suggestions?

The world is your oyster. Google is your friend. Hit the road and explore thats the best way to find what you are looking for. I'm sure everyone is itching to tell you about their hidden quiet spot nearby. Or maybe not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would totally be up for driving until i found a spot. however having a 6mo and 5 yr old in the car, i tend to try to just get there. Google has produced a few spots but surprisingly enough it doesnt them all. thanks andweav

Eklutna is really close to you. Very pretty up there. Don't send your kid to the dumpster alone though; the bears there know those dumpsters better than the people that are paid to empty them. During the day the bears mostly keep to themselves though. Might not be open yet, but there was a small booth up there to rent a bike or kayak or such.

I dont think state campgrounds qualify as a 'secret spot' - One of my favorite nearby places is the whole nancy lake area. lots of campgrounds. pretty sweet canoe trail system. Good option to get your oldest kid out on the water. be sure to book in advance on busy weekends. fish for pike

Thank you. Ill look into that spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I dont think state campgrounds qualify as a 'secret spot' - One of my favorite nearby places is the whole nancy lake area. lots of campgrounds. pretty sweet canoe trail system. Good option to get your oldest kid out on the water. be sure to book in advance on busy weekends. fish for pike

I dont remember the name of the lake but it is right near Big Lake on the northern side of wassilla. There is a small state campground that is pretty nice and the little lake has some pretty decent fishing in it. There is a rough boat lunch as well. If you have a canoe or a kayak it is really good. you can launch a power boat also you just have to be careful when doing it. I am sure some one else here knows the name of the place. We have camped there a couple of times over the years. some of the campsites are right on the lake as well.

The small lake and campground RG 86 may be talking about could be Rocky Lake campground in Big Lake, it is one of several state campgrounds that are under new management and the camping and overall experience has greatly improved.You can check them out on Facebook and I think they have their own website even they are managed by Great Holiday Campgrounds.The lady who runs them does a great job in making them family friendly and keeping them clean.She just took over the management of 2 more parks this summer.There is fishing at most if not all of her campgrounds.

+1 on the nancy lake area
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Sorry did not mean to come off as sore. King mtn campground on the glenn is not quite an hour from
    Palmer and very scenic and quiet even thought its near the hwy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Royal Wave. that is exactly the one. come to think of it I may have to make another weekend trip down there this year.....