Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear on roof middle of the night, trying to get in!

Default Bear on roof middle of the night, trying to get in!

OMG, what a night it was last night! Two of our dogs, Cutie and Kay, sleep inside the cabin at night. At 1:30am they awoke us from a dead sleep, barking ferociously downstairs. I rush out of bed and down the stairs, Kay is going wild at the porch window and Cutie is in the arctic entry barking. It's the darkest part of the night and all I get when I shine headlamp out the porch window is a reflection, But with headlamp off it's just light enough to see outside and I don't see anything on the porch. I quickly put clothes on and breakup boots and step outside and grab the old Swedish mauser hanging above the door. I had just completely taken it apart the day before for a thorough cleaning and oiling, specifically to carry around for bear protection. It's cut down to 16 1/2" with peep sights, 6.5mm.

First thing I do is try looking through the peep sight. No go, too dark to see through the peep sight but I can dimly see outside. Spooky. Lori has the door latched closed so the dogs don't run out. I head out in front of cabin a bit more to get some room to see around the sides, don't see anything. Dogs are still barking from inside. Fritz, our other dog, is chained out near sauna and now he starts to bark, then stops. Then nada. I figure whatever it was got scared off, the dogs calm down and we head back to bed.

It's now 2am and I'm trying to get back to sleep when I hear something outside the bedroom window. We had taken the window out a couple days ago so it's just screen there. I get on all fours on the bed to peer out the window to look down but don't see anything. And then all of a sudden a big loud crashing sound right above my head on the roof. I lunge backwards in bed.

"What the **** was that!"

Lori jumps up and says "I don't know what whatever it is is big, bigger than the cat!"

"Is the cat in?" I yell. He goes on the roof at night sometimes.

"Yeah, he's right here," Lori says.

I scramble downstairs to get dressed and Lori is yelling, "It's over by the stovepipe, I think it's trying to get in!"

Now I'm frantic, run outside with the Mauser, jack a round in, out in front of the porch to look up on the roof. Nothing. Then Cutie bolts out the door, I start yelling at her to come but of course she won't. She's black, it's dark, I yell at her "You're gonna get yourself shot dammit!"

Lori yells that "it's on the other side of the roof now!" Then all of a sudden a black object lunges from the north side that I can't see to the south side right by the solar panels up there. I aim just by feel really, can't see through the sight, and fire. It's a hit I guess cuz the bear immediately jumps over the solar panels, partially knocking them over, falls on the greenhouse roof and then lands right in front of porch ten feet from me. I think I fired the second shot right when it hit the ground. It gets up and runs and I fire again and it ends up five feet farther. Dead. How I hit it at all I don't know. Small male black bear, maybe a 2 year old. What a scene. At first seeing how small he was, we were afeared maybe mommy was with it ... glad that wasn't the case.

Lori headed back to bed and I stayed up til around 4am when it was light enough to gut the bear. Lungs were completely in shambles, dipped quite a bit of blood out of the chest cavity. Gotta skin him later today. Plus I see the roof is all tore up and gotta go check that out. I think initially it tried to get in the cat door. Maybe it chased the cat, not sure. Not sure how it got on the roof either, maybe where the addition meets main cabin. But definitely it was trying to get inside for whatever reason. A pile of red scat where he died, looks like he was eating leftover cranberries that are still on some of the bushes. Really no green vegetation yet, no horsetails etc that they like to eat in spring. Guess he was hungry.

Nice hide, and really nice, surprisingly long claws for such a small bear. Gonna smoke the hams and likely can up most of the meat. Lori snapped this one pic, with flash, last night, right after we confirmed the bear was dead ... I still have a sort of OMG I can't believe this look on my face <grin>:

Glad all are safe, enjoy the fresh meat and sorry to hear about the damage.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Well know THATS some excitement Mark! Great story, felt like I was reading a old western,lol.

that is classic Bushrat lifestyle if I ever heard it. Thanks man, gotta a real kick out of that story. Nice photo bud...frame that sucker! Ha...LOL

The rascal must have been looking for sedges.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

That's a photo and story to send back to the relatives for sure. Congrats on a safe encounter and a bit of fresh food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How convenient!
    Reminds me of our garden fed moose some years ago; we got our greens and early vegetables once-removed.
    I have a little Swede carbine similar to yours. A dandy caribou getter, but never thought of it as a black bear rifle.

Dang! That raised my heart rate a bit just reading the story.

Mark did you have to go change your shorts after it was all over ,glad to hear everyone is unharmed.Hope the damage is not to bad.

Great shooting and eating for sure. Bet its not a problem enough for you to pack up and move to town.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Yikes! A home invasion robbery while you were sleeping. Man, what kind of neighborhood do you live in?

What a way to wake up! but at least the pack was short.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Small male black bear, maybe a 2 year old.

Ymmmmm....them's the real good eatin' kind...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Wow great story, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats...looks like a tasty little bugger. At least someones getting bear....we are still waiting to see one here.

And I've been thinking that you had to travel long and hard during your hunts there. In reality it just takes a chaise lounge chair out front right? I love the "dam glad this thing is dead and was alone" picture. That little guy gave you quite the scare; glad you were the victor.

Now we know a new way to bait bears. Just build a small, dollhouse-sized cabin with a couple mini solar panels on top and set up a treestand.
    Glad everything worked out safely for you and your family. What an adventure!

Very cool, and my wife gets excited when just a mouse gets into the house geez!
    I hope you read him his rights sometime during the action?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Mmmmm.....Spring berry bear. Good job, BR. More memories!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Default Fresh meat; can't beat bear ribs!

Some of the best bear ribs I've ever had, last night:

Pic of hide, didn't measure it, on 8' piece of plywood, gotta tack it up on the wall today:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast