Thread: got the boat out finally

Default got the boat out finally

Took the 24 Seasport out for its first Alaskan voyage yesterday. We launched at 3pm from Whittier. I've never seen more boats in line to get out of the water, line was all the way to the break water. What a zoo.

Engines performed extremely well. For some reason the Yamaha fuel gage system I have reads the GPH, but will not give me a miles per gallon reading. At 4,000 rpm I was cruising 26 knots burning roughly 13gph. This is my first boat with outboards, and I'm trying to get a feel for proper trim of the motors.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Engines performed extremely well. For some reason the Yamaha fuel gage system I have reads the GPH, but will not give me a miles per gallon reading.
    Is your FM gauge connected to your GPS? If it isn't, they cannot "talk" to each other and give you the MPG. I think I saw you waiting to launch. I couldn't place the face at the time, but now I can. What a weekend on the water!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Is your FM gauge connected to your GPS? If it isn't, they cannot "talk" to each other and give you the MPG. I think I saw you waiting to launch. I couldn't place the face at the time, but now I can. What a weekend on the water!
    Well that makes perfect sense. Will call Deweys tomorrow to see if they have the cords.

Recognized you as well, gave you a wave as we were passing. Great day on the water ~ cruising and my son harvested his first sea otter out in Culross.

Congratulation on wetting the keel on your new boat couldn’t have been a better weekend for it. We made it out of Whittier Thursday night and ran 80 miles south, only saw a couple of boats down that way all weekend; a blood bath for sure two days running.

Yea my fuel management system only gives me accurate GPH reading so I just do the math in my head, 26mph divided my 13HPH = 2MPG 26/12 =2. I do however have a MPG reading on my Mercury Smart Gage system but it’shooked up to the motors Pitot tube, accuracy sucks.

Welcome to ocean boating and thirsty fuel tanks, we burned 105 gallons last weekend; every gallon was worth it.

Enjoy the boat and please harvest as many otters as you can.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

My old seasport only drank 6gph, so its a little tough to get used to. However having 300 horses makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    My old seasport only drank 6gph, so its a little tough to get used to. However having 300 horses makes up for it.
    I would love to see 6 gallons an hour. .. per engine. I burn between 24 and 27 gph at 32 mph depending on the load. Gotta pay to play! Look forward to seeing you out there.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

For some reason the Yamaha fuel gage system I have reads the GPH, but will not give me a miles per gallon reading.
    See the attached Yamaha FMM documentation. There is a section on setting up the FMM to produce MPG reading. I have ours connected to our GPS

Doug

Yamaha FM Gauge.pdf