Thread: Empty Stomachs?

Default Empty Stomachs?

Had a great first trip out of Seward Saturday, perfect weather and the water was like a mill pond all the way out to Montague. Got into some nice halibut and checked the stomach on the big one, a 65 pounder, and there was nadda in it, absolutely nothing according to my son who cleaned it. I'm wondering if this is normal for halibut moving back in now or is it a sign of a bigger problem?

Interesting. Maybe they eat less when they are migrating.

I hope that's the reason.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Maybe that is who it ate your bait :-)
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I cleaned one out of anchor point this weekend that had nothing but a 6/0 gamakatsu in its stomach. I figured maybe he couldn't eat anything? But then again he tried eating my herring.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I caught a 70 lb halibut that puked out a 4 ft octopus just as we brought it in the boat, I suppose it's possible that they could do the same on the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    ...puked out....
    Lotta that goes on. We do a bunch of shallow water fishing in August, often so shallow we can see bottom and the flatties before they hit. Real common for them to dump their load, especially when feeding on small stuff like needlefish. Get em up and cut them open and they're empty, but they put out a pretty good cloud of bait while fighting. Really common to see one or two "extra" halibut or other species following along and picking it up as you fight them.

Then there's the bigger question of time of day and tide. They'll lay around digesting after a good feed, then go on a binge just as the tide gets right and food comes to them. Get them just as they start feeding and they're empty. Get them a little later after a good feed and they're plugged.

BTW- In shallow water it's fun to watch them if they aren't ready to feed, but seem to want to protect your bait (or jig) sitting on bottom. They'll come up and lay on it so nobody else can get to it. How many times have you belly snagged halibut? Yup, that's what happened.