Thread: Anyone know this guy?

Default Anyone know this guy?

Happening in Meadow Lakes right now. At least he "stuck"the landing.... Pilot is out uninjured and AST said the cub fared pretty well too. It will be an interesting retrieval....

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

just watched the extraction video. Couldnt catch a tail #

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

right across the road...will check on it in a bit and try to post some pics

There was a time.....back when Stupid Cubs were cheap, and if the client paid for the plane. And there was a world class trophy near......that was actually a method of landing a Stupid Cub into the Alders and Black Spruce.

Hope he has lifting eyes installed...but not sure it will help. Hard to retrieve an airplane off of ground without damage. Seems a lot harder to do so from a situation like that. Hope it comes out okay, glad the pilot is alright.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    There was a time.....back when Stupid Cubs were cheap, and if the client paid for the plane. And there was a world class trophy near......that was actually a method of landing a Stupid Cub into the Alders and Black Spruce.
    I've wondered in the past if the rules about helicopters and hunting might be applied if a guy has to get his Cub sling-loaded back to town every season!
    Louis Knapp

Was not me... Good write up with pictures on The Frontiersman website.

its a tcraft not a cub.

Nothing to add to the Frontiersman story other than glad he is ok...The plane made it thru the night and is still in the trees...The trees are budding out fast and it may be hard to see in a week...It will be interesting to see exactly how that plane gets extracted...

This strip is narrow with tall trees, a swath in the trees if you will. Yesterday when this accident occurred we had the typical signs of a weather change and wind shear is a factor. This is the type of strip where my technique is to gain speed in ground effect and then zoom out with stored energy. I flew yesterday and employed this technique. My strip is much wider than this fellows strip and not so protected from the wind by the tall trees.

This accident could have ended with a loss of life. I recall one not that many years ago that tragically ended the pilots life. Had the trees been elastic like the ones in this situation he would have survived. Rigid large limbs on cottonwood trees don't give... they impale.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    just watched the extraction video. Couldnt catch a tail #
    Do you have a link to the video? Can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Quote Originally Posted by wvfb163 View Post
    Do you have a link to the video? Can't seem to find it anywhere online.
    I think this might work. The only one I've found was on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

I am pretty sure the plane was taken down by Helicopter this morning...Did not see the entire event but watched helo fly in and fly out 40 minutes later...Plane was in the trees this morning and by lunchtime after the help left (without a sling load) airplane was no longer in the trees...

Pretty amazing. I think that story got national attention. It looked just like my foam RC Champ did a few days ago when I got it stuck up in a tree. Apparently rescuing a full scale plane from the branches involves a little more than just shaking the tree real good.

Does anyone here know Jimmy Hunt? The last time I talked to him he was working on building a strip in that area. I was wondering if he was still around.....Louis
    Louis Knapp