Thread: Redhawk?

Default Redhawk?

I've got the factory brass bead front and v notch rear on my 5&1/2" gun and was wondering if anyone here has tried any of the fiber optic front sights on their gun? I hunt in the dark timber a lot and question if I'll be able to see the little brass front? Maybe the nice bright green?
    I know the fiber optics are bigger but, this may help as well, in the timber.
    Steve

I just bought the green FO front sight for an Alaskan 44. The stock Ruger is black on black and I'm hoping for some contrast. Sorry, can't report, haven't installed it yet....

I wish I had a brass bead insted of the green fiber optic. Fiber optics work on light and the forrest don't have much so I get a black dot. I would go with night sight on the front which I plan to do.

Click to see larger
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I've got the factory brass bead front and v notch rear on my 5&1/2" gun and was wondering if anyone here has tried any of the fiber optic front sights on their gun? I hunt in the dark timber a lot and question if I'll be able to see the little brass front? Maybe the nice bright green?
    I know the fiber optics are bigger but, this may help as well, in the timber.
    Steve
    I've used the green fiber optics front site. Yes you can see it better in low light.

I've got a couple extras, I'll trade you a green fiber optic front site for your brass bead front site.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Fiber optics work on light and the forrest don't have much so I get a black dot.
    My experience, too. Also, lots of solvents kill the FO, leaving you with a dim sight even in sunlight.

I'm a particular fan of the bead/V combo. The solution for low light is dirt easy, one I use on any open sighted gun when I'm having trouble seeing the sights:

Get yourself a little jug of "White Out" from the office supply store. When the light is low, smear a little on that front bead. It dries instantly and makes that front sight pop. When you move into the sun or want to go back to brass, just give the white a little flick with your thumbnail and it pops right off. I carry the jug with me all the time, and add or remove the white several times a day as I move between timber and open. So easy and so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    I've used the green fiber optics front site. Yes you can see it better in low light.

I've got a couple extras, I'll trade you a green fiber optic front site for your brass bead front site.
    Thanks and I was born at night but, not last night.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Thanks and I was born at night but, not last night.
    Steve
    .........I just have a overmolded HiViz front green sight you asked about, thought you might want to try it......paid about $40 for it.

As my eyes have aged, the green sight has become a blur. It's bright enough that it overpowers the rear sight. So I went back to the Ruger factory front sight.

I was also born at night.........I wish it was last night, or even 7,000 nights ago...LOL
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I didn't like the daek of the bead front site either but I liked the precision it offered as well as the elevation. Shooting heavier bullets, I needed a high front site to keep my point of aim low enough to counter the muzzle jump associated with hot loaded heavy bullets. I was a student at the time so I used a little spot of nail polish which helped a lot and it is durable. 25 years later and I still have 't had to reapply it. You can pick your own color to!

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    I didn't like the daek of the bead front site either but I liked the precision it offered as well as the elevation. Shooting heavier bullets, I needed a high front site to keep my point of aim low enough to counter the muzzle jump associated with hot loaded heavy bullets. I was a student at the time so I used a little spot of nail polish which helped a lot and it is durable. 25 years later and I still have 't had to reapply it. You can pick your own color to!

Scott
    I've got a bottle of bright yellow nail polish that I bought at a beauty parlor/ nail joint several years ago. Back then I bought it because it made my sights look cool , now I can't see them without the stuff.

Somewhere, I have a white out pen and it really helps on my muzzleloader front sight. I may have to go with it on my handguns soon too as it's brighter than the yellow paint.

I really hate to think about the day when I just plain won't be able to shoot open sights on a long guns but that day is coming I'm afraid.

I have been using XS 24/7 sights on my Redhawk for a few years now. They are wonderful for fast sight acquistion. May not be that great for timber hunting at any distance over 50 yards as the front sight is really large. The mix of FO with a big white bead is really nice in the rain forest.

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx...93567&CAT=8351

Now, that's interesting AK Ray. Thanx
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    I have been using XS 24/7 sights on my Redhawk for a few years now.
    That's excellent! First I've seen that could replace the original gold bead version. Might even be an improvement.

Thanks for the review and pointer to the source!