I'm looking into building a cabin rental business in southeast Alaska. I plan to build in an area with access to electricity and possibly other utilities. My research is in the very early stages of progression and I was hoping I might gain some insight from a more experienced group here.

I would like to construct the resort myself with the help of family and friends, and try to keep the project as DIY as possible. Obviously I would like to keep costs as low as possible, but do so within reason and without compromising in integrity and such.

I have no experience building cabins solo, however I do have a general working knowledge of wood-work and other skills that I would assume goes into building a cabin. I have family and friends that are also skilled in areas of construction, but none in cabin building specifically.

Like I said, my plans are very young and subject to change with any amount of knowledgeable advice in another direction. Thus far, I imagine starting with a circle of small and simple cabins surrounding a centrally located shower/toilet/laundry building. I am thinking 200-500 sq ft cabins with a living area and a separated sleeping area (possibly a loft as well).

Cutting and milling local timber ourselves would be unbelievably ideal, but in order to keep start-up costs low and for the sake of simplicity, I am willing to look elsewhere for supplies. I have no idea how much it would cost to build a cabin from scratch, milling our own timber, but that is one area I hope you guys may be able to shed some light on.

I've done a little research into pre-made kits and plans that are available for purchase. If there is a particular kit or set of plans that you would recommend, I would love to hear about it.

I really appreciate any advice or constructive criticism you can offer.