Thread: Explain top-shotting

Default Explain top-shotting

Heard this term many times. Now I want to know more....thanks.

I have never heard the term.... But we call this "google"
    https://www.google.com/search?q=top-...&client=safari
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

yup, that about covers it. I run top shots on my Avets for marlin fishing down in Cabo. High line capacity with braid, handling and stretch characteristics of mono...best of both worlds.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Heard this term many times. Now I want to know more....thanks.
    High line capacity of spectra, less wrapped up tangles at rod tip as you set downriggers. I use 30ft of 50 florocarbon and it is tough stuff!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

The benefits I've seen of running a top shot of mono or fluro with braid is:

Better abrasion resistance than braid where your line is going to be dealing with rocks and teeth
    Just a bit of stretch in the line at the terminal end
    A larger dia line to grab ahold of when landing a fish. If you grab braid with a larger fish and no glove, you're just asking to get your hand cut.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

In addition to the top shot, I prefer to put a bimini in the end of the fluoro/mono, resulting in a double line about 3' long above the swivel. No loss of strength to knots and lots of extra surface/strength should you ever grab the line. Biminis take a little practice to learn, but they're quick and easy once you get the hang of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    In addition to the top shot, I prefer to put a bimini in the end of the fluoro/mono, resulting in a double line about 3' long above the swivel. No loss of strength to knots and lots of extra surface/strength should you ever grab the line. Biminis take a little practice to learn, but they're quick and easy once you get the hang of them.
    An alternative to a bimini for this application is a spider hitch knot. Much easier to tie & can be managed by one person on a rocking boat. I use the rigging you describe down here in the Gulf of Mexico & it's very useful when the fish is up at the the side of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    Much easier to tie & can be managed by one person on a rocking boat. I use the rigging you describe down here in the Gulf of Mexico & it's very useful when the fish is up at the the side of the boat.
    Old dogs and new tricks, I think. I've been tying Biminis solo on rocking boats for over 40 years, and they're still easier for me than a spider. Doesn't really matter which a guy chooses, so long as he uses it. Your final point sezz it all.

A great way to make the connection is to splice the mono into hollow core spectra. IT is not that hard, if you do it a few times it takes a bit longer but there is no knot all all. Prefect for trolling.