Thread: New Digital, old lenses...

Default New Digital, old lenses...

I have a Nikon F-100 (and an old F-3T) but am about to bite onto a good DSLR. I want (must) hang on to all my Nikon lenses and use them on the new one so.... Is the Nikon Digital D100/200 or what ever it is now, I haven't look lately, worth it's $$$? I mean in so much as any over priced Nikon is.

I have good quality lenses, the newer D type for my F-100 and expect them to be compatable with the digital, I'll check that out with the Nikon site. Don't want to give up film just want to a digital body to the tool chest.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've never used one, but just about everybody that has, says the D200 is a very good camera for the money. There are pluses & minuses about any camera and it's competition, but I doubt you will be sorry you bought a D200.

Some older Nikon lenses won't meter on some newer Nikon bodies, but I believe the D200 will work with all of them. Also, the latest little D40 will only autofocus with G type lenses, but again, this is not an issue with the D200. It's a good choice if you have a sack full of older Nikors.

What you may have an issue with is the optical sensor being smaller than a piece of film. Everything gets cropped. On the plus side it's like all your long lenses get a free 1.5x multiplier. On the negative side, all your wide lenses get the same cropping effect. So a good 28-70mm lens becomes like a 42-105mm. The bottom line is, you may want to buy a buy a digital specific normal zoom in the 17-55mm range. Or if you like really wide lenses, get a 12-24mm to go with what you have.

And then all you have to do is add: lots of memory cards, a portable image storage device, a card reader, a faster computer with lots more of RAM, a bigger hard drive, an external hard drive, a second backup external hard drive, a good imaging editing program, a better RAW (NEF) converter, a color calibration device, a nice photo printer, a website to show the images off, web design software, and lots and lot and lots of education to make it all work seamlessly.

Enjoy your new digital life.