Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cost of hunting

Default The cost of hunting

So I hunt. But I've never spent a lot of money on hunting. I use a nice rifle, and a nice knife. I did buy a canoe this year to help me get to my hunting spots. No high speed low drag camouflage for me. No spotting scopes. No guides. None of that (Not b/c I don't want to, but I don't feel the need...yet)

So do we as hunters spend to much money on hunting? Is all that gear necessary? Am I spoiled b/c I live in a good area?

Necessary, clearly not, helpful, sure.

I have been carrying a used interarms rifle about 6 years now. I paid $450 for it, it shoots great. It's ugly, scratched and it has a few rust spots.

I suspect most guys could make a similar analysis of much if their gear.

I did leave a caribou hunt early last year because my partner brought a CRAPPY tent. There are some things that paying for quality probably makes or breaks a hunt, like said tent...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cost of hunting....should never be contemplated.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Cost of hunting:
    As a means of feeding the family, the cost of hunting in terms of weapons, gear, vehicles, fuel, time off from work etc. far exceeds the monetary costs of the food it puts on the table. My harvest rate is so low that strictly in terms of numbers (dollars), I should quit hunting altogether and just buy meat.

Cost of not hunting:
    Devestating and unimaginable.

Alaska is an expensive place to hunt overall regarding access for most and buying a wheeler, jet boat, plane, or paying for drop off flights is pricey. Some people live close to where they hunt and are able to save loads on fuel/transportation. Crappy basic equipment here can cost a life.

I truly think that the experiences and memories had by folks hunting or in the great outdoors cannot have a price point, and people should do what they can afford and just enjoy the time they have on this earth. Memories are priceless!

Frostbitten pinned it.
    The cost of hunting (and fishing) usually far exceeds the cost of going to the store and buying the same poundage of meat or fish, depending on the species.

Anything put on the table as a result of hunting or fishing, the way I look at it, is pure profit, because I was going to spend the money to go, regardless of whether I was successful or not.

Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Cost of hunting:
    As a means of feeding the family, the cost of hunting in terms of weapons, gear, vehicles, fuel, time off from work etc. far exceeds the monetary costs of the food it puts on the table. My harvest rate is so low that strictly in terms of numbers (dollars), I should quit hunting altogether and just buy meat.

Cost of not hunting:
    Devestating and unimaginable.
    Yah, but cool experiences in the wild that you can't get in a store: priceless....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Yah, but cool experiences in the wild that you can't get in a store: priceless....
    Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

For a lot of us that were in the construction trade there was a two week window in September. It was the only holliday we could get off.( boss's wer'nt happy at the time but were they going to fire us, lol) sometimes our jobs were suspended due to the weather in the winter so we took time off to fill the frezzer in the fall to last out the winter.

Alot of you don't have this problem as you have year time jobs so don't judge.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Necessary, clearly not, helpful, sure.

I have been carrying a used interarms rifle about 6 years now. I paid $450 for it, it shoots great. It's ugly, scratched and it has a few rust spots.

I suspect most guys could make a similar analysis of much if their gear.

I did leave a caribou hunt early last year because my partner brought a CRAPPY tent. There are some things that paying for quality probably makes or breaks a hunt, like said tent...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good point about the tent. I have a decent tent that I bought for my backpacking trips. I am looking for a hunting tent (an added cost).

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Alaska is an expensive place to hunt overall regarding access for most and buying a wheeler, jet boat, plane, or paying for drop off flights is pricey. Some people live close to where they hunt and are able to save loads on fuel/transportation. Crappy basic equipment here can cost a life.

I truly think that the experiences and memories had by folks hunting or in the great outdoors cannot have a price point, and people should do what they can afford and just enjoy the time they have on this earth. Memories are priceless!
    I like this. I am lucky. I just have to get in a boat and ride a little upriver and I am in prime moose country. Last weekend while goose hunting I saw 9 moose trying to cross the river.

I just have a hard time dropping a lot of coin on non essentials, however, if I was hunting in another area, I suppose I would drop the coin if I needed to.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Frostbitten pinned it.
    The cost of hunting (and fishing) usually far exceeds the cost of going to the store and buying the same poundage of meat or fish, depending on the species.

Anything put on the table as a result of hunting or fishing, the way I look at it, is pure profit, because I was going to spend the money to go, regardless of whether I was successful or not.

Well said...I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    For a lot of us that were in the construction trade there was a two week window in September. It was the only holliday we could get off.( boss's wer'nt happy at the time but were they going to fire us, lol) sometimes our jobs were suspended due to the weather in the winter so we took time off to fill the frezzer in the fall to last out the winter.

Alot of you don't have this problem as you have year time jobs so don't judge.
    Yeah...the job that I can't take off of to go hunting sucks. i can pretty much only hunt on weekends or after school. Which kind of sucks b/c I depend on the meat to make it through the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Yeah...the job that I can't take off of to go hunting sucks. i can pretty much only hunt on weekends or after school. Which kind of sucks b/c I depend on the meat to make it through the winter.
    Your a school teacher. Hard to believe you depend on hunted meat. You must mean you depend on it by choice.
    Yes, your spoiled because you live and work in a good area. You can access the country around you quite a bit cheaper than hunters in other areas.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

My last moose cost me a tank of gas and one sg slug.

Even with the ever rising cost of food today to hunt still cost more than to purchase at the store. Most of us hunt for several reasons, to enjoy getting out in the woods, solitude, time spent with family/ buddies etc. Once you start adding up the cost of gear, planning, scooting, fuel spent all around, time from work if you take extra off, the gear you either lost or broke on the trip. You can always use the premise that the meat I harvested is much better for you and I saved a lot on the 400+ pounds I received from it. Most of the time once you figure everything that it cost you per lbs you could of bought the meat much cheaper at the store. At the end of the day or hunt if you would of bought the meat at the store you would not have the stories to tell of how that hunt went good or bad, the fun you had and the memories of time spent with family and friends. Yes it was much cheaper to hunt than to have stayed at home.

I still think it's cheaper to hunt. Now granted I live in area 21. So my costs for this upcoming season:
    1. Canoe and motor $1000
    2. Gas ($100 for season if I'm super lazy)
    3. Tent ($250 tipi).

So let's say I spend a total of $1500 and between wife and I will be able to harvest two moose if we wanted (one is plenty).
    About $2/lb for the meat. Pretty good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Your a school teacher. Hard to believe you depend on hunted meat. You must mean you depend on it by choice.
    Yes, your spoiled because you live and work in a good area. You can access the country around you quite a bit cheaper than hunters in other areas.
    By choice? Maybe. But contrary to myths, teachers don't get paid like they used to.
    But I can't afford to freight meat out to village or pay the village price for meat (I pay $9 for a lb of sausage).
    I was raised on wild game. Always supplemented our meals. Large family growing up.
    Last year I couldn't hunt and I had no idea how people can afford to live in the villages. Moose is necessary for survival.
    i never knew how expensive it is to hunt until I started reading here. Makes me want to stay here in my village forever. I'll need take my location for granted.

The cost of hunting is not nearly as high as the cost of not hunting.

A man is only given so many hunting seasons on this planet....best not to waste one.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default "If we have to try and explain - you just wouldn't understand".

I've hunted with wrist rockets, BB guns, baseball batts, (yep, for rabbits), every shotgun caliber, borrowed rifles, and then onto my many guns I own since I've been old enough. (I've spent gas money with borrowed gear) just to hunt or fish and it was cheap,to spending more than I want to think about. I've had cheap hunts or fishing trips that will be with me for ever, and hunts/fishing trips I've spent a decent amount on and they have been forever memories.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, "if I have to explain, you just won't understand". Life Memories... = priceless.
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast