Thread: Glasply Restoration

Default Glasply Restoration

After a few years of trying to figure out what to do with my 28' Glasply, I have decided to restore it and get her back out on the water. I bought it for a good deal, but in pretty rough shape. I replaced both motors in it right away, and used it for part of a season, but it was apparent she wasn't ready to be my full time boat. I lost patience with it and bought a 22' Ocean Pro to satisfy my need to be on the water. She has been sitting for a couple summers now, and I have put serious thought into selling it, but at this point, I know I could probably only sell it for less than what the motors are worth. What is apparent to me is, I want a bigger boat than my hewescraft. I researched getting a 28' aluminum boat, but I don't want to spend that much on a new boat or a used one in that size range. I decided to rebuild the glasply, and by my rough estimate, I can make it a really nice boat for a fraction of a new or used boat of its size. I have already started the tear down of the interior. First priority is to remove the old dinette and flooring so I could remove the water tank that has a hole in it. I am going to replace the water tank with a 35 gallon fuel tank, and plumb in a 15 gallon water tank in another area of the boat. After the fuel tank is in, I will put new floorboards and carpet down. I am building a new dinette in a different configuration than the old one. After I get the cabin layout the way I want it, I will be replacing all wiring, building a new helm with new gauges, switch panels, new electronics package. I am replacing the headliner material on the ceiling. New windows and trim. Install diesel stove and heater. new v-birth cushions, house battery, inverter, charger. Exteriors getting new bottom and topside paint. The flybridge needs new gauges, wiring, trim tab controls, seat. Install windlass. I am going to pull the engines and transmissions. Transmissions are getting rebuilt. While the engines are out, I will replace all wiring, clean and regelcoat the engine comaparment. Install new bilgepumps and a bilge water alarm. Replace all through hole fittings, valves, hoses, etc. Install new through hull transducer. There is quite a bit more minor things that I am planning. It's going to take a lot of work and money, but if I stick with it, I am hoping to have her ready to go in a couple summers. I am planning on keeping her in Seward. I will try to take some pictures of my progress and give updates
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

That will be a great project, the GP's, as you know are a good hull. A buddy and I have been rebuilding a 24'GP, we were hoping to be on the water this year, but at one day a week its another year out. There is a GP forum that you might find of interest.

http://www.glasply.org/vb4/forum.php

keep us posted and lots of pics....! John
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Sounds like a fun project. I hate saying it, but I'm contemplating the same. No more boatwork! haha

Sounds like you have your work cut for ya !! While you have the engines out check the stringers for moisture or water soaking in or rot. If it were me i'd try to replace any wood panels/decking with foam or Nida cored fiberglass panels to keep the weight down. Use Groco thru hulls and set up a couple of "crash valves" off of the intakes for emergency bilge pumping. Check out Marine Parts Depot for stainless hardware they have all kinds of hinges and door/hatch latches and they ship to AK for free. Oh yeah nevermind a windlass just install one of my Electra Dynes to haul both anchor and shrimp pots !! Customer emailed this pic of his install nice clean flush mount.ED on parker 2.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Potbuilder, I will probably also get a potpuller from you, but the main reason I am thinking windlass is so it can feed the rode right into the locker. I was originally thinking of just having an electradyne for pulling the anchor, but the luxury of not having to hand feed the line in the locker every time is something I would really like to have. The stringers are good, I checked them out last time I had the engines out just a couple years back.

Ah yes, gotta love the Glasply 28' As you know these boats are solid and proven. Thirsty but all big boats are. You will save a lot over buying a comparable boat. Unfortunately they sit on the market a lot longer and are hard to sell than other boats. But if you want to play with the big boys you gotta pay (the fuel bill). The only other option I would suggest is to look at the Bayliner 2859. I see these sitting on galvanized trailers for as low as $25k in great condition, and up to the mid $60s. They sell faster than the twin Glasply 28'. But since you have one already...

It sounds like you are going to do it right by gutting it all. A great way to create a super money loser is to only renovate part of the boat. I have eyed a few 2 Glasply 28's and thought a single Volvo D6 370 Duoprop could be the ticket (just don't tell Potbuilder Steve about it)

Good luck and keep us informed.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Potbuilder, I will probably also get a potpuller from you, but the main reason I am thinking windlass is so it can feed the rode right into the locker. I was originally thinking of just having an electradyne for pulling the anchor, but the luxury of not having to hand feed the line in the locker every time is something I would really like to have. The stringers are good, I checked them out last time I had the engines out just a couple years back.
    Just build in a nice rope locker under the deck by the hauler, make it big enough and divided to hold both anchor and shrimp lines. Anchor Hatches are real nice to install to have a waterproof and flush cover. They come in lots of sizes & shapes. I have one on my rig over the prop clean out well.
    h 3.jpgh 2.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I have done such a project twice. Challenging, but fun in its own way.

Got some work done on the boat. I am pretty sure they put that water tank in and built the rest of the boat around it lol. Anyways, it's out and most of the interior is gutted. I had to go back to the slope, but when I get time, I will install the fuel tank and water tank and start on redoing the floor. I am pricing out the wiring end of things and it is going to be spendy, but I will feel a lot better when it's done and done right. So for now, my focus is the plumbing, flooring, wiring and building the new interior layout. If I can get that all done before the end of the year I will be happy.

I just bought a spool of duplex tinned marine wire from this guy on fleabay genuinedealz he's got some great pricing on wire. I'm thinking of getting one of these panels for a upgrade, the seller is acdcinc1 DC Distribution Panel with Xantrex Battery monitor Linklite 14 Positions

Here's some more deals on stuff you'll be needing for a fiberglass rebuild
    100 Warner 903 Master Painter 3" Plastic Putty Knife Knives | eBay

Fiberglass Bubble Rollers 3pcs of 3 4"x4" Fin Style | eBay

6" 80 Grit White Velcro H L Hook Loop Sanding Disc 40pk | eBay

Mixing Cups Plastic 2 5 Quart Paint Cup Disposable Case of 100 | eBay

TY122S XL Dupont Size x Large White Tyvek Coverall Suit with Hood and Boot | eBay

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I just bought a spool of duplex tinned marine wire from this guy on fleabay genuinedealz he's got some great pricing on wire. I'm thinking of getting one of these panels for a upgrade, the seller is acdcinc1 DC Distribution Panel with Xantrex Battery monitor Linklite 14 Positions

Here's some more deals on stuff you'll be needing for a fiberglass rebuild
    100 Warner 903 Master Painter 3" Plastic Putty Knife Knives | eBay

Fiberglass Bubble Rollers 3pcs of 3 4"x4" Fin Style | eBay

6" 80 Grit White Velcro H L Hook Loop Sanding Disc 40pk | eBay

Mixing Cups Plastic 2 5 Quart Paint Cup Disposable Case of 100 | eBay

TY122S XL Dupont Size x Large White Tyvek Coverall Suit with Hood and Boot | eBay
    Thanks Potbuilder, I will be looking on ebay

Hoose, looking forward to your thread as I have a 30' glasply that is moored in Valdez. Not quite ready to redo the interior but maybe in a couple of years. Best of luck!

I fished a 28' Glassply for a good number of years as a Charter boat out of Homer. The family and I really liked and enjoyed the boat. It was originally purchased by K-bay charters, and Dave (the owner) hit something out at point Adam and sunk it in the late 80's. Ben Mitchell (Homer Boat Yard) acquired the boat through a salvage operation, and I acquired the boat from Ben and rebuilt it in a heated warehouse in Anchorage the winter of 89/90. We replaced the Chevy 350's with 6 cyl Isuzu diesels. At 3/4 throttle they burned 7 GPH (combined). All the Gas powered Glassply's with their chevy 350's burned 25 (probably closer to 30 GPH) and were about 2 knots faster than we were.. but we got to where we needed to go and we caught fish.. The only thing I disliked about that boat was all the passenger seating was on one side. If you got a couple of sumo wrestlers on it was a very uncomfortable lop sided ride. Every summer I would swear to myself that come fall, after the boat was blocked up in storage, I was going to rip out all that cabinetry and build some seating. But then Moose season would come along, and then snowmachine season, and I never did remodel the cabin..

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I fished a 28' Glassply for a good number of years as a Charter boat out of Homer. The family and I really liked and enjoyed the boat. It was originally purchased by K-bay charters, and Dave (the owner) hit something out at point Adam and sunk it in the late 80's. Ben Mitchell (Homer Boat Yard) acquired the boat through a salvage operation, and I acquired the boat from Ben and rebuilt it in a heated warehouse in Anchorage the winter of 89/90. We replaced the Chevy 350's with 6 cyl Isuzu diesels. At 3/4 throttle they burned 7 GPH (combined). All the Gas powered Glassply's with their chevy 350's burned 25 (probably closer to 30 GPH) and were about 2 knots faster than we were.. but we got to where we needed to go and we caught fish.. The only thing I disliked about that boat was all the passenger seating was on one side. If you got a couple of sumo wrestlers on it was a very uncomfortable lop sided ride. Every summer I would swear to myself that come fall, after the boat was blocked up in storage, I was going to rip out all that cabinetry and build some seating. But then Moose season would come along, and then snowmachine season, and I never did remodel the cabin..
    What was the name of the glasply you ran?

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    What was the name of the glasply you ran?
    New it had the name of the wife of Dave, the owner of K-Bay charters. and I can't remember it..
    we renamed it the LUCKY STRIKE. I sold it to a gent down in Ozinkie, guess it's still in the Kodiak area