Thread: NTSB recommends FAA review certain AK operators.....

Supporting Member

Default NTSB recommends FAA review certain AK operators.....

YESSSSSSS!!!!!! I thought this day would never come. LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Hope they ground the whole fleet.

FL2AK-Old Town
    I take it you plan to be the pilot that will go out and fly the bush for the next 20 years and never bend a plane???? None of the people that fly in the bush want to see people die or accidents happen. How about you show some respect for the pilots and people that have lost friends and family while doing a dangerous job every day of the year.
    DENNY

These guys operate under the FAA's nose....what does this NTSB "Urgent" recommendation say about them?

The problem will be that since the Feds are an over-sized and unwieldy bureaucracy, the poop will slide down hill like crazy.
    So do not be surprised when some east coast city dude decides to ramp check and nit-pick log books until the cows come home.
    You will not be seeing any field approvals for awhile...

If the ADN article is correct in the number of flights.... 1,200 per week... that means they have 62,400 flights a year, or 124,800 flight during the past two years where the 7 accidents and incidents occurred. 0.0056 % accident rate.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by boneguy View Post
    FL2AK-Old Town
    I take it you plan to be the pilot that will go out and fly the bush for the next 20 years and never bend a plane???? None of the people that fly in the bush want to see people die or accidents happen. How about you show some respect for the pilots and people that have lost friends and family while doing a dangerous job every day of the year.
    DENNY
    1.) It's not about wrecking planes or not wrecking planes. Although you guys are pretty cavalier about crashing planes up here.)
    2.) My comment was directed at one particular operator on that list, who I used to work for, and I know their complete and total lack of regard for safety or established procedures.
    3.) In my handful of aviation jobs in AK over the past 8 years, with the exception of ONE hangar, I've noticed a pervasive attitude of "This is Alaska, we do what we want," and I think it will be good for everyone if that attitude gets expensive. Reference this comment right here:

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    do not be surprised when some east coast city dude decides to ramp check and nit-pick log books...
    As if, "back east" things are somehow "different" for aviators, when, really, they're not.

However, I agree with float pilot's comment about the unwieldy bureaucracy. I KNOW they aren't going to actually DO anything useful or productive, but the though of some people having to at least explain themselves is priceless. Problem is, SO much stuff goes on undocumented here, and no FAA inspector is going to actually go beyond reading logbooks and maintenance records, that very little, if anything will even be found, let alone dealt with.

FL2AK- Things are very different here in Alaska than back east. Nobody but you denies that.

Floatpilot: I'm getting two field approvals as we speak. Process changed but change happens.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    FL2AK- Things are very different here in Alaska than back east. Nobody but you denies that.
    Flying conditions, environment, weather, terrain...certainly. All very different from flying in the Lower 48 or back east. What is not different is the requirement to abide by the FAR's and the AMM's...that is still the same here as it is everywhere else, and that is what a lot of operators in AK don't agree with (or abide by). So, that's where I'm coming from-seeing people blatantly disregard standards, do whatever they want, use whatever scrap garbage they can find for parts, etc etc.

I disagree! I have lived and worked in aviation in Florida and Alaska and I have seen probably more issues with following standards down south than I have in Alaska. I think mechanics and pilots here in Alaska understand that our environment and operating conditions are more extreme than they are down south and take a little more care in how they operate. Suspected parts will always be an issue no matter where you are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    YESSSSSSS!!!!!! I thought this day would never come. LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Hope they ground the whole fleet.
    Some people might understand your post to be saying hahahaha hahahaha at the misfortune of others.

People died in those crashes. And tens or hundreds of thousands of other people depend on those flights to get to work and to get home.

Maybe be a little less gleeful.

I've witnessed the raking over the coals of a 135 operator's maintenance facility after a no-fatality accident. I'd be surprised by the NTSB's recommendations but then nothing they say surprises me. That's about a worthless organization if there ever was one. Their existence revolves around finding fault, pointing fingers, and laying blame whether it's warranted or not. FL2AK sounds like a fan. Further proof that Alaskans ain't what they used to be. Nobody wants accidents, most of us just don't want the federal government in the lead role to save us from them.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Some people might understand your post to be saying hahahaha hahahaha at the misfortune of others.

People died in those crashes. And tens or hundreds of thousands of other people depend on those flights to get to work and to get home.

Maybe be a little less gleeful.
    When you describe it that way, I can see where I should have been more clear. Like I said, I'm just glad to see one operator in particular on that list to be "raked over the coals" as Mr. Pid put it.

BTW, I"m not so much a "fan' of NTSB and FAA, but I know I have nothing to fear from them. Those operators named in that article....at least one of them has reason to fear.