Thread: to early to plant in unheated greenhouse on the kp ?

Default to early to plant in unheated greenhouse on the kp ?

just got the new greenhouse up and we a chomping at the bit to get things started . we have cabage, brussel sprout, carrot, leaf lettuce, summer squash, green beans, pea, seeds that we want to plant, but dont know if we would be rushing things. any help with what can go in the starter pots now and what we should hold off on would be great. its getting down to about 30 in the green house at night but warms up quickly in the morning and stays nice and warm late into the evening. thanks

I am in Seldovia and I have plants in my greenhouse now. I had a heat mat going but it only worked for 3 days so now I am without heat and haven't needed it. I am down to 34 at night and my plants are doing well. I wouldn't recommend putting stuff out this early unless you do have a heat source for the nights when it is under 30 and if you are planning on germinating seeds I would use a heat mat to get them started. Cabbage, lettuce, carrots and especially peas can stand cool temperatures, as well as broccoli, kale, chard and spinach. Pansies, snapdragon, linaria and calendula prefer cool weather as well. I wouldn't put tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers or zucchini out anytime soon. And keep an eye on the forecast. It can change fast. If you are going to have stuff outside you will probably need heat once or twice in the month of May. And that is if it is a mild spring. Read some of mudbuddys posts. He has soil boxes with heat tape in them. It sounds like a great set up but my greenhouse is too small for that. Good luck and happy gardening-Renee

Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post
    just got the new greenhouse up and we a chomping at the bit to get things started . we have cabage, brussel sprout, carrot, leaf lettuce, summer squash, green beans, pea, seeds that we want to plant, but dont know if we would be rushing things. any help with what can go in the starter pots now and what we should hold off on would be great. its getting down to about 30 in the green house at night but warms up quickly in the morning and stays nice and warm late into the evening. thanks
    30 will damage tomatoes unless you can cover them & keep them near 40
    Need to be held above 50 or higher for blooms to set on early girls , higher temps for some species.

I have heat tape in the soil boxes, soil temp is 70, I'm covering tomatoes, peppers & cucs at night.
    I have my garden seeds planted, in the GH .

Nothing sprouted yet. Need them to hurry ,
    Spring is early, I'd like to start planting more of the garden next week.
    Onions sets are up & rooted well in one garden bed.
    Spinach seeds & radish seeds in the garden.

Possible to put a little electric heater in there for a few hours to keep it near 40 ?