Thread: Unguided Fishing Trip Ideas

Default Unguided Fishing Trip Ideas

Hey guys, I have 6 days of leave left and am looking to do an unguided or partial guided trip where we have 1 or 2 days of a guide and the rest unguided. It would just be my girlfriend and myself. Im looking at the last week of Jul 26- 1 aug but can go anytime in july. I am looking at chasing large trout primarily however i know the timing so a mix of trout and salmon is great. Any floating or jet boating would be fun. Would love to visit the bristol bay region. any ideas
    NRA life Member JVJ

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

I hear the Kanektok is really nice that time of year, but it would be a tough one to do unguided. If you're hellbent on unguided you could try renting a raft and floating the Gulkana. Lots of different fish species options that time of year.
    Or if you want something completely different you cold always try for grayling on the Delta Clearwater or do a weeklong camp & fish along the Denali Hwy with all its grayling streams.

I'd check with George Riddle (member here) at Blueberry Island.

So 12-17 July are the dates...

My backup plan is the gulkana as i have not floated it yet and have wanted to for years. I do have a 16' kenai drifter so thats an easy trip to throw together.

I would like to get off the road system if possible for a moderate price. thanks for the ideas. I will look into them
    NRA life Member JVJ

check your inbox, pm sent

There's so much great fishing in the state that its hard to know where to start. Naknek system is also a possibility. A day with a guide, then boat rental from an outfit in Naknek for the rest of the week can get some phenomenal fishing. Little dinky King Salmon creek is very easy to walk and wade, and holds some very large trout.

Rainbow Bend Lodge - http://www.rainbowbendlodges.com/index.html

Good setup - 2 days guided, rest of trip unguided.

Tom and Don will treat you right.

Hi All,

First of all thank you for let me join this forum.

I will spend 20 days in Alaska in June, and I would like to get some help for where and how to catch fish. :-)
    I book a few day guided fishing but mostly I would like to do it myself.

My route plan is the following:
    June 7-11 Kenai Peninsula - sockeye, rainbow, grayling, dollyvarden? (and of course chinook if possible)
    June 12-16 Denali - i don't know too much about this area fishing opportunities
    June 17-22 Fairbanks, Minto Flats and the North - pike, trout, grayling
    +a few days near Anchorage

Could you offer good places, which I can reach with car+hiking and I have to fish?

Thank you for your help in advance.

kapor

ps.: I will be also really happy to meet you personally at the water ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by kapor View Post
    Hi All,

First of all thank you for let me join this forum.

I will spend 20 days in Alaska in June, and I would like to get some help for where and how to catch fish. :-)
    I book a few day guided fishing but mostly I would like to do it myself.

My route plan is the following:
    June 7-11 Kenai Peninsula - sockeye, rainbow, grayling, dollyvarden? (and of course chinook if possible)
    June 12-16 Denali - i don't know too much about this area fishing opportunities
    June 17-22 Fairbanks, Minto Flats and the North - pike, trout, grayling
    +a few days near Anchorage

Could you offer good places, which I can reach with car+hiking and I have to fish?

Thank you for your help in advance.

kapor

ps.: I will be also really happy to meet you personally at the water ;-)
    Sounds like a good plan! I would skip grayling on the Kenai, and concentrate on Rainbows, dollies and Reds. Take more time in the Talkeetna and South Denali area than up in the park; fishing in the park and the Denali hwy is limited to grayling, and the Parks Highway streams between miles 70 and 170 have good hook and release king fishing, and terrific rainbow trout and grayling fishing. Not too familiar with Fairbanks and haul road fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Sounds like a good plan! I would skip grayling on the Kenai, and concentrate on Rainbows, dollies and Reds. Take more time in the Talkeetna and South Denali area than up in the park; fishing in the park and the Denali hwy is limited to grayling, and the Parks Highway streams between miles 70 and 170 have good hook and release king fishing, and terrific rainbow trout and grayling fishing. Not too familiar with Fairbanks and haul road fishing.
    Thank you for the info.
    Could you suggest some places to try?
    I would like to try Russian River for reds.

Where can I find info about Parks Highway fishing?

Thank you again.

kapor

You might want to contact Mike Coughlin. He can probably help you with fishing the Parks Highway.

http://www.susitnavalley.com/

From previous post similar subject from a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Does anyone have any info on the logistics of a float/fishing trip on clear creek? I'm looking for helicopter services, duration of float, skill level required, preferred gear or anything else that might be helpful. I'm looking to do this trip in the next 2-3 weekends and any help would be greatly appreciated. Armo
    Hi Armo and others,

We floated the upper Clear Creek down thru the mouth and all the way to Talkeetna Aug. 12th - 15th. A four-day trip.

I wanted to take my son salmon fishing for the first time and chose this trip as part of our Alaskan adventure. First we took the Denali Star train from Anchorage to Talkeetna and stayed at the Susitna River Lodge - http://www.susitna-river-lodging.com/cabins.html

The next day we had a 6 hour fishing trip up to the mouth of Clear Creek and also Fish Creek in a jet boat from Talkeetna River Guides, we caught easy limits of Silvers and as many Humpy's as we could crank in - talk about fun!

The next day we went on the 4-day fly-in/float down Clear Creek, we hired Mat-Su Expeditions - Tim and Brian: http://matsuexpeditions.com/ they used John from Denali Helicopters for the put in.

The trip was fantastic, the fishing was great, and the guides, food, and accommodations were good too.
    The trip was: 2 boats, 2 guides, myself and my 11 year old son and one other guy, Al from back east (what a great guy!).

We had a blast and caught tons of fish, Silvers, Chums, Pinks, Rainbows, and Dollys.

Lots of bears but they did not pay much attention to us, we had spray and our guides had weapons. There is about 6 hours of class 3 white water we went down on our 3rd day.

When we got back, we had a burger at the West Rib, visited the MAYOR of Talkeetna (Stubs the Cat) and went down to the river from the Susitna River Lodge and caught a few more Silvers.

My nephew lives in Anchorage with his wife and son, so they picked us up and brought us back to the big city, we stayed with them a few days before flying back to Montana on Aug. 19th.

Some GREAT memories were made this year in Alaska, Anchorage, Talkeetna, and Clear Creek!

Here are some photos of our trip:

http://s393.photobucket.com/albums/p...view=slideshow

Thank you for the info.

Thank you again.

kapor
    Your trip dates won't allow for much fishing on the upper Kenai (including the Russian River) as the season is closed until June 11. You can fish downriver from the Skilak Lake outlet, but without a boat/guide, I wouldn't expect much. There are some areas that you can bank fish, but reds will be spotty and Kings are tough (from the bank).

Thank you for the info.

Thank you again.

kapor
    Look at the shop section at this site- under books for fishing. Highway Angler will likely be a help to you.

BTW- to the suggestion of Hellbent Fishing Charters out of Willow...Lonn is a fantastic guide and all around great guy to spend time on the water with.

Thank you Guys for the answers. You helped a lot!