Thread: AlCan Trailering Hull Protection

Default AlCan Trailering Hull Protection

I'm planning on trailering my 24 Seasport down the AlCan this summer and concerned about rock dings on the front of the hull. I thought about shrink wrapping but businesses here in town are not geared up to do this kind of work this time of year. Lashing a tarp to the hull is likely to cause burnishing on the gel coat. Plywood would seem difficult to secure and might create a hazardous situation should a piece fly off. Anybody that's got experience doing this trip or other ideas would be of great help or should I just tow it naked?
    Last edited by DreamCatcher; 05-01-2014 at 10:40. Reason: spelling

Good to see you around, DC. I can't see shrink wrap giving much/any protection against rocks. What about taping some cheap foam camping/sleeping pads to the front of the hull to provide a bit of padding?
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Look into having a bra made for it. A friend of mine hauled his jet boat up the Alcan with a lot of road construction going on. The boat made it looking like new. Put plywood or something over your windshield. Good full coverage mud flaps on the tow vehicle will help. Might even buy one of the brush style gravel deflectors that go on your hitch.

I've seen many west coast guide boats show up in the spring with cheap carpet taped to the bows soft side in. Im thinking that would give great protection from rock chips with minimul rubbing to the hull.

Anchor Point

I have towed my 24-ft Skipjack boat from Alaska 2 times. My boat has ahard top with canvas sides and plastic windows.
    Here are some of the things I did to prepare for the trip.
    I installed a Bulldog trailer hitch.
    I converted my trailer from surge brakes to 4 wheel diskwith an electric/hydraulic actuator.
    I only run load range E tires. I have 2 spare tires.
    I have extra bearings and races.
    I took the prop off and wrapped the outdrive in bubble wrap.
    I used extra ropes to tie the boat to the trailer.
    I used extra rope to secure the outdrive.
    I removed my 9.9hp kicker motor.
    I have large mud flaps for my truck. I think this protectedthe hull from rocks.
    I did not do this or have any problems but rocks from othervehicles could break a window. I have had 3 front windows in my truck crackedin the last 5 years.
    I removed my canvas sides and soft windows.
    On one trip I used greased bearing with bearing buddy.
    On the 2nd trip I installed oil bath hubs.
    I always carry inferred thermometer to check the temp of thebearings and hubs.
    The bearings ran cooler with the oil bath..
    It is a great trip. Watch your breaking. There are some long steep grades depending on your route. Fuel was never a problem. But carry some extra.

Might be worth looking into....
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thought I would add a final post to the thread I started on trailering the AlCan and the helpful advice offered here. I outfitted my truck with oversized mud flaps and one of those plastic grass skirts off the rear bumper to prep the truck. Taped closed cell foam to the front windshields and outdrive of my Seasport using special 3M duct tape that leaves behind no residue. Packed along plenty of spare parts for the trailer and truck. Made the trip Anchorage to Oak Harbor, WA in five days with no relief driver. It's was a slow go hauling the boat along with 1500 lbs in the truck bed. I passed two vehicles in 2400 miles, one of which was a hay harvester! Matching speed to the road conditions is the best advice I can offer. Also, good brakes on the trailer make all the difference on keeping the boat trailer behind the tow rig in the mountain passes. I checked my trailer hub temperatures every time I stopped. No mechanical issues along the way, but glad I was prepared to deal with them as goods and services are few and far between. Slept in the boat every night in parking pullouts. Made the entire journey for under $1000 burning diesel. Barge services here were quoting me $5-7K. If you got the time and your truck and trailer are in decent shape and you're cheap like me, I highly recommend this option.