Thread: "All Around Freshwater" Boat?

Default "All Around Freshwater" Boat?

REcognize it doesn't exist, but looking for an all-around freshwater boat with due acknowledgment of the compromise factor. Something to run the Copper and the Mat-Su streams; no or very limited saltwater, no Kenai, and probably very few long distance trips in the interior. Haven't done any boating for 20 years and back then I got by with whatever was handy.

Money is an object, but I've got a few $$, looking to get something to possibly go hunting with, probably go fishing with up to 4 guys, and certainly use to tool around the rivers and lakes for relaxation in retirement with the wife and grandkids. If it's either/or, preference would be a river-suitable vs. lake suitable boat.

Leaning towards Wooldridge, but don't know the 1st thing beyond that...would appreciate any advice on size, motor (choice & HP), bottom profile, etc. I'm won't even attempt to be the guy that runs the skinniest water or the biggest water (although I'm looking forward to dipnetting in the Copper, which I recognize ain't small).

Thoughts? Advice?

TIA

18 to 20' Semi "V" (lots of open space with good floor boards)
    Twin Yamaha 60/40 hp 4-stroke outboard jets/ R-side - semi-forward console.
    Removable windshield, top & seats
    easy floor plan changeover
    Something like this 20' Sea Ark set up like above ( http://seaarkboats.net/2072mv/ )

That's my dream set up anyway

This guy wants to trade for a sea ark
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4426044646.html
    Wonder why ?

Monark : http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4444707711.html

My choice of the 3 : ( then modify for my needs )
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4439559010.html

Thumbs up

From what you're describing, take a gander at the Wooldridge Sport, Wooldridge Alaskan XL, or Hewescraft Sportsman. All with outboard jet or inboard 200 Sport Jet options. Good "all around" boats that'll definitely do what you want, based from your description.

in the FWIW dept, my preference would be an 18 - 20 ft SeaArk either powered as Mudbuddy describes with a pair of 60/40 HP jets
    or with a 115/80 HP jet. And I'd take the boat to Ben over at Silver Streak, and have a windshield welded on and put a canvas top on too. My days of running the Big Su all bundled up in foul wx gear to keep warm are waay behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
    REcognize it doesn't exist, but looking for an all-around freshwater boat with due acknowledgment of the compromise factor. Something to run the Copper and the Mat-Su streams; no or very limited saltwater, no Kenai, and probably very few long distance trips in the interior. Haven't done any boating for 20 years and back then I got by with whatever was handy.

Money is an object, but I've got a few $$, looking to get something to possibly go hunting with, probably go fishing with up to 4 guys, and certainly use to tool around the rivers and lakes for relaxation in retirement with the wife and grandkids. If it's either/or, preference would be a river-suitable vs. lake suitable boat.

Leaning towards Wooldridge, but don't know the 1st thing beyond that...would appreciate any advice on size, motor (choice & HP), bottom profile, etc. I'm won't even attempt to be the guy that runs the skinniest water or the biggest water (although I'm looking forward to dipnetting in the Copper, which I recognize ain't small).

Thoughts? Advice?

TIA
    I'd check out Phantomjetboats.com or Northriverboats.com. Both brands offer boats that would meet your needs. From what you describe, the NR Commander or Phantom Sportsman sound like they would suit your needs. I'd suggest an inboard jet with a Hamilton HJ212 so you have the comfort of heat you get from the inboard. Having that extra little comforts of heat goes along way with ensuring the grandkids and wife want to continue boating in the future.

I would say to go at least 20 ft, it will haul more weight- be more stable-float in less water and stay on step with less speed than a smaller boat with the same load. Power? Outboard jet-Sportjet- Hamilton inboard jet. None are wrong just have different advantages. Semi vee- Flat? flat cost less. Semi vee rides better-handles better and is better for all-around. Glen

All,

Thanks for the input. Will look at all the options suggested.