Thread: Beaver board

Default Beaver board

Does anybody know were I can get a template to make my own beaver boards?

Like to stretch it? Just make circles on a board for differentsizes. My last few years trapping I used metal beaver hoops, sold commercially.They are much easier and quicker than a board and nails.

I also use the metal hoops. They are much easier to use and are adjustable to fit any size beaver. They also allow the air to flow on both sides of the pelt to allow better drying.

look here http://www.furharvesters.com/pdf/pelthandling.pdf
    I prefer plywood stretchers and nails. Metal rings and hog ring clips can be a PIA not to mention they do not get a beaver stretched as big as it can at times
    air flow can be achieved by pushing the pelt up on the nails not keeping them tight on the board
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Easiest way to make the rings is to take a yard stick and drill holes in it every inch. Measure to find the center of the board and pin or nail (temporary) one end of the yard stick in the center. Take a pencil and place it in the holes you drilled and spin the yard stick around like a protractor to make your even circles. If you need a picture to better explain how I did it just let me know and I'll take some pictures to help clarify.

Very Respectfully,

For some reason I thought you want the pelts to be oval shaped or they could be marked as damaged. Also does anybody know where to get beaver rings in alaska? Or am I just going to have to order them? Thanks!

Supporting Member

You can try Alaska Range trapping supply behind Boondocks in Eagle River. They may have the beaver hoops you're looking for. You can get the hog rings at Alaska Industrial Hardware in Wasilla.

Just a note, regarding the need to stretch and dry your pelts....If you are going to sell your pelts, then yes - stretch and dry them because that is how the fur buyers can determine overall quality and size...But, if you are going to have them tanned for your own use, just salt dry them. It is a lot more efficient in time and also easier for shipping
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Didn't really want to start a new forum for this but does anyone want to buy or know anybody that wants to buy beaver/muskrat pelts? Dried and stretched just not tanned. (Beavers are a work in progress) thanks. Wes.