Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how does adfg and troopers handle this issue concerning military

Default how does adfg and troopers handle this issue concerning military

Concerning the regulations allowing brown bears to be taking over at a black bear bait station..
    A lot of military bait for black bears. Are they considered residents that do not
    need a guide or are they non residents that need a guide.I hope non of our military get a ticket.
    Are they residents just because they have been here a year and have orders. I was just wondering.
    Maybe someone knows the answer and it will help some soldiers.

I will attempt to get the ball rolling on this; the way I read it is AD Military needs to be on station here for at least one year to become a "resident" in F&G's eyes.
    Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 4.58.17 PM.jpg

But as far as guiding goes, I do not believe you need one for Blacks; only sheep, grizz, and goat..

Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 5.01.26 PM.jpg

Notice the stars (if you can make out) in the pic.

well I think that is a good answer my concern was with brown bears and if they have been here a year it looks like they are residents

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    well I think that is a good answer my concern was with brown bears and if they have been here a year it looks like they are residents
    I miss read your original post, for some reason I missed where you stated browns. My bad

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Military or not, once you meet the residency requirements, you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Military or not, once you meet the residency requirements, you're good to go.
    Yeah and then that person has to file for residency in Alaska with no dual residency..... You're not just grandfathered into the system...

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    Yeah and then that person has to file for residency in Alaska with no dual residency..... You're not just grandfathered into the system...
    What part of "meet the residency requirements" is confusing you?

I believe that one year (365 days) from the day that you get an ALASKA drivers license, the state considers you a resident. No "filing" for residency that I'm aware of...
    I believe that "only to qualify for a PFD", you need to be here 1 full "calendar" year.

Clear as mud?

On top of all that, you cannot have ANY benefits towards another state. Such as being registered to vote in another state or getting resident property tax exceptions from another state.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I believe that one year (365 days) from the day that you get an ALASKA drivers license, the state considers you a resident. No "filing" for residency that I'm aware of...
    I believe that "only to qualify for a PFD", you need to be here 1 full "calendar" year.

Clear as mud?
    You don't necessary need a drivers license. I was told by fish and game I was good to go. I did everything but get my license my first year here. I didn't realize I couldn't get a license in my village and spent the school year here without an Alaska one. However I didn't use my GA license for any out of state benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    You don't necessary need a drivers license. I was told by fish and game I was good to go. I did everything but get my license my first year here. I didn't realize I couldn't get a license in my village and spent the school year here without an Alaska one. However I didn't use my GA license for any out of state benefits.
    Interesting. I don't quite understand that if some type of AK identification isn't present, then how can someone from another state be considered a resident? Fish n Feathers told you that? Granted, we all know that some things and sometimes, out in the villages/bush, rules can and do get bent to accommodate. Yukon C, please take no offense in that. I'm glad it worked for you even though it doesn't make sense to me. Lol...

I had orders a year and an AK license when I spoke to the Troopers.

Interesting. I don't quite understand that if some type of AK identification isn't present, then how can someone from another state be considered a resident? Fish n Feathers told you that? Granted, we all know that some things and sometimes, out in the villages/bush, rules can and do get bent to accommodate. Yukon C, please take no offense in that. I'm glad it worked for you even though it doesn't make sense to me. Lol...
    Nothing in statute requires state drivers license or id. Proof of residency is required if you're investigated; rental agreements, phone bills, electric, fuel receipts, airline ticket, etc, showing a string of residency and the beginning date of your residency. Statutory language is what matters, not what someone thinks it should be. Per fish and game webpage: Full statute:

According to AS 16.05.415 residency requirements, section C follows: (c) A person who is a member of the military service or the United States Coast Guard is a resident for the purposes of AS 16.05.330 - 16.05.430 if the person has been stationed in the state for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the application for a license. This subsection does not apply to a person who establishes and maintains residency in the state under (a) and (b) of this section. The statute does not require military personnel on station in Alaska to give up residency elsewhere to be a resident of this state for purposes of hunting, as it is written in the statute.

No worries. I understand. When we moved up here we spent a day in anchorage shopping. Red eye flight into anchorage. Shopping then trip next morning to bush. I had no idea what I was getting into. I tried getting my license in my village after being told I could get an ID in the village (tribal ID...not state). I left village in October after my mother passed away unexpectedly (ID was last thing on my mind). Then when I tried to get my license the following august (spent one day in ANC in May before heading south) I didn't have my birth certificate. So no license until October. However when I applied for my hunting license I met requirements b/c I had a lease and utility bill and registered car and job contract and registered to vote. I explained why I didn't have a license and they were understanding of it all. I was shocked but I didn't useful GA license for any resident privilege. I do not get a pfd. At least I don't think I will. But I didn't even know about a pfd until February of this year after living here for almost two years.

My my excuse for the length of time was I was to cheap to spend $1000 for a trip to the dmv. Fish and game told me no worries as long as I could show proof of residency. Which I could. Another reason I didn't want to give up the GA license was because I had a lifetime license (Vfw benefit).

YC you had me until the lifetime license thing.

Seriously, you really need to read the requirements for a pfd yourself. Just saying you wanted to keep alive your GA hunting license is enough to possibly disqualify you since part of the requirement actually includes your intents - not just your actions.

Here's the eligibility req: https://pfd.alaska.gov/Eligibility/E...tyRequirements
    Know that in addition to that are all the real life things that they ask for the first time you try to file for a pfd; you'd best know your underwear size and be prepared to prove it.

Just trying to help, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Another reason I didn't want to give up the GA license was because I had a lifetime license (Vfw benefit).
    Wouldn't that be considered a benefit of being a resident of another state?
    If you follow the link posted previously you will see ADF&G's definition specifically addresses that.
    I believe just maintaining the lifetime license there makes you a nonresident here.
    I would have kept that part to myself because you may now be subject to an investigation on your residency status and that could cost you.
    Might want to be careful and check that one out if you haven't already done so and gotten the AK drivers license.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Wouldn't that be considered a benefit of being a resident of another state?
    If you follow the link posted previously you will see ADF&G's definition specifically addresses that.
    I believe just maintaining the lifetime license there makes you a nonresident here.
    I would have kept that part to myself because you may now be subject to an investigation on your residency status and that could cost you.
    Might want to be careful and check that one out if you haven't already done so and gotten the AK drivers license.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

I definitetly WOULD NOT apply for a PFD if that's the case...

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    YC you had me until the lifetime license thing.

Seriously, you really need to read the requirements for a pfd yourself. Just saying you wanted to keep alive your GA hunting license is enough to possibly disqualify you since part of the requirement actually includes your intents - not just your actions.

Here's the eligibility req: https://pfd.alaska.gov/Eligibility/E...tyRequirements
    Know that in addition to that are all the real life things that they ask for the first time you try to file for a pfd; you'd best know your underwear size and be prepared to prove it.

Just trying to help, man.
    i won't be getting a pfd this year. I have to wait another year. No big deal. I also didn't qualify because we had a vehicle registered in another state.
    I had a lifetime drivers license in GA. I hate spending money to get new ones. But I surrendered the DL once I was in town for more than a day. Me not wanting to give it was a thought. It was a benefit but a benefit I was willing to give up. Which I did give up.
    We moved up here on ten days notice (we are a little crazy).
    We just had no idea that many things available to us in lower 48 wouldn't be available in the bush.
    We took all steps to become residents. It just took awhile to get the license. Last summer we registered our car here. It's still not here though. But it's registered in Alaska.
    Live spoke with pfd and fish and game. We are good to go. No pfd this year. But I could hunt.

Residency starts one year from the date they arrived on station, on their orders.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast