Thread: Anyone here ever install PK floats on a Cessna?

Default Anyone here ever install PK floats on a Cessna?

The Pks have a different firewall mount, so I understand that I will have to remove the EDO mount and install the PK plate mount and then use the weird filler block...
    I also semi-understand the rear mount where the mains usually come out of the plane... But I have no idea what is with the two long metal pieces with the one bolt on the ends
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

​Could they be for banging yourself on the head for having PK floats?

Probably... The only advantage over the EDO 2000s which are in the type cert is that the 2300s give you more legal gross weight. I would rather have Baumann 2550s or EDO 2440s. But this is what I have...

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Probably... The only advantage over the EDO 2000s which are in the type cert is that the 2300s give you more legal gross weight. I would rather have Baumann 2550s or EDO 2440s. But this is what I have...

My only complaint about PK floats was their critically narrow angle of incidence for takeoffs. EDO and WIPLINE floats were a bit more forgiving, I always thought. That may have changed over the years, though. And I agree about the GCTO weight: The Alaska Holy Grail.

In looking for floats for the 185 almost bought some PK floats. I called up PK in my research they were very helpful and informative concerning serial numbers and years of manufacture. Some year change greatly improved takeoff runs for example. Ended up finding a good set of edo 3430 for the same price and went that way. Good luck.

Unfortunately the owner of PeeKay recently died and it is almost impossible to maintain real contact with anyone at the old business.
    I have been in sporadic e-mail contact with one guy, but he has not resounded to my question for a few days now...

PeeKays are popular on 172s and particularly Hawk XPs. Shops in Anchorage that do float swaps will be familiar with PeeKay installations. For the years mine went on and off floats I hired it out and didn't pay any attention to the details. Didn't care. B2300s are great floats on a 172. I have no experience with 2300s.

By the way, older 172s had traditional spring steel gear and newer models had tubular gear. It looks like your fittings may be for newer gear, which is what your N model should need. My XP had tubular gear but as I said earlier, I never cared about the details back then so I may be all wet. It appears you need to get hands on some installation drawings and parts diagrams.

I still have to install the two pulleys for the water rudder cables. And I have to figure out how to hook up the rudder lifting cable.
    I am almost done repainting them now,,, I just need to do the stripe down the side. I should be working on it now but I ate something bad yesterday and have a bad gut ache.

I bet you are aching to go? Lots of head scratching but you are almost there. Stripes will look sharp.

Managed to get a little more done before it started to rain like crazy.

Good lookin' job, partner. Keep on keepin' on . . . .

The compartment hatches on these PKs are not as easy to open as the EDOs. I wonder if there is a way to convert them?
    Too many little screws and they do not seal very well. The angle stock that holds the side bulkhead to the deck is one long solid track, so it holds rain water on top and held ice there this winter.
    The accelerators are different on the bottoms from EDOs, they have an open front end.... Odd indeed..

Hopefully somebody will send me a photo of how the water rudder lifting ( stowage) cable comes through the bottom of the plane and into the cockpit...